[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 800x532, 800px-Yaohnanen_Tribesmen_Show_Pictures_of_2007_Visit_with_Prince_Philip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5220947 No.5220947[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What advice do you have for someone trying to develop a respectable position in regard to Political Philosophy/Economics/Morality/Jurisprudence

Because I've been reading entry level stuff (i.e. Social Contract, Utilitarianism, Nichomachean Ethics, Economics in One Lesson) for the whole time I've had an interest in Philosophy (and just reading generally), my views are a Frankenstein's monster of anachronistic and polarized perspectives that can't really be taken seriously.

It's becoming an issue for me now because I have university interviews etcetera and I need some sort of coherent system of beliefs if I am to answer moral/political questions adequately.

Any suggestions then, for developing a Philosophical perspective that could be taken seriously in the modern day, i.e. what to read and stuff?

(Pic unrelated)

>> No.5220950

Machiavelli's The Prince is the only political book you ever need to read and follow.

>> No.5220961

>>5220950

That'll be good if I get a question about how best to defend my city-state from barbarians...

>> No.5221369

>>5220947
How about instead of reading you start trying to apply your collection of views to real world examples (major court cases, political practice in your country, a conflict from the middle east ect) and refine them by asking why these events happened as they did and what the best outcome would be.

Doing that a few times will be more helpful than anything you will read in a book.