[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 312x475, gardensofthemoon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5208894 No.5208894 [Reply] [Original]

Dearest /lit/

I've been reading Gardens of the Moon on and off again for the past few months, but I'm really, really struggling to get into. I find the premise of the book super interesting but I just can't bring myself to read more than around 20 - 50 pages at a time. I just keep putting it down.

Is this normal? Does the series get better? Does the book pick up at some point? I'm currently at page 200.

I know it's not exactly 'light' reading, but I've read other somewhat heavy fantasy like The Silmarillion and I blazed through that. I just can't help but feel the book was actually written as a screenplay or something for a movie. I can imagine the shots to different characters cutting back and forth, but I'm really just struggling to become attached to the characters, Erikson cuts between them far, far too quickly.

I guess what I'm asking is does it get better?

>> No.5208944

Please respond

>> No.5209017

After 300!

>> No.5209027

>>5209017
R-Really?

>> No.5209041

Yes, be persistent and patient

>> No.5209052

>>5209041
Thanks friendo

>> No.5209058

gardens of the moon is the worst book in the entire series.

>> No.5209451

Gardens of the Moon was written a good 10-12 years before the ones that came after. GotM is heavily DnD inspired, and it shows.

Stick it out, Deadhouse Gates is an entirely different beast, and it runs the gamut from Epic Fantasy to almost Military Fiction depending on which plotline any given chapter is focused on. If you don't like Deadhouse, the series probably isn't for you, though.

>> No.5209852

It'll be worth it once you reach the Fete