[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 92 KB, 500x761, Prince-of-Thorns-Mark-Lawrence-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5194445 No.5194445 [Reply] [Original]

Has /lit/ read this? What did you think of it? I'm enjoying it so far, but the only characters I can give a shit about are Jorg, Makin, and Rike.

>> No.5194462

I read it and the rest of the trilogy in the space of about three days. I liked it, Lawrence throws in a lot of those depraved fucking thoughts you have that nobody else is going to put in a book really. It gets stale fast, though, and the way he tells the story kinda just sucks tbh.

>> No.5194486

>>5194462
Should I read Prince of Fools after I finish the trilogy?

Also what were your problems with it exactly? The flashbacks kind of annoy me. I understand the purpose they serve, but the way he used them to set up a twist at the end of Prince was really fucking stupid and rushed.

>> No.5194523

Second book is probably my personal favourite.

Overall really well written and planned, despite a lackluster series ending.

My biggest problem with it would be that at points it feels like he's literally trying to be edgy for no discernible reason, and it kind of detracts from the character development, most notably several parts in the final book.

Still one of the better works of alternative fantasy,

>> No.5194534

>>5194486
I'm not going to read it anyway.
And it was the flashbacks pretty much. They're his entire mode of progressing the story.
>but oh, it all ties in!
It gets so old so fast, and the things learned by his flashbacks to deal with whatever situation are so gimmicky it's cringeworthy. And same with all those "oh, Jorg will notice something the others wont" moments. Pretty much the only thing I enjoyed was the author's depravity.

>> No.5194544

I mean there is literally a flashback for every obstacle, it's kinda farcical. Filling up the story, too, of course, but he could've at least thrown a flashback into a flashback; I'd have had a laugh at that at least.