[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 175 KB, 720x706, radical larry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5168161 No.5168161[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

If I were to homeschool my son, what should I have him read?

>> No.5168164

>>5168161
Books.

>> No.5168174

>>5168161
>pic
>telepathy and telekinesis are the same thing

>> No.5168178

>>5168161
Please don't do that to him. Send him to school, let him have more than 1 or 2 people that he gets to interact with regularly whole growing up

>> No.5168180
File: 1.19 MB, 768x1053, radicallarry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168174
Maybe she's a telepath who also has telekinetic powers?

>> No.5168188

>>5168161
> If I were to homeschool my son,
> what should I have him read?don't.

the social value of school cannot be understated.

at least sign him up for a sports team or something. I hope he isn't an only child

>> No.5168202

>>5168161
Here's my high school's "international literature" basic required reading list:

Sophocles' Oedipus Rex, Plato's Apology of Socrates, Confessions of St. Augustine, Shakespeare's Macbeth, Moliere's Tartuffe, Goethe's Faust, Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, Kafka's The Trial, Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, Dante's Divine Comedy, C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Orwell's Animal Farm.

I'll look for the primary/secondary school lists too but I'm not sure I still have them.

>> No.5168205

>>5168188
>at least sign him up for a sports team or something. I hope he isn't an only child

My son's only 4, has a younger brother aged 2 and another sibling on the way.

And sports teams are a certainty.

>> No.5168252

>>5168161
As someone who is homeschooling his 5 sons (the oldest is 17 and a sophomore in college) i recommend that you start with books that engage the imagination and interest of young men to inculcate a love of reading, such as;
Princess of Mars
Tarzan
Doc Savage
Redwall
Hardy Boys series
the Hobbit
etc.
then when they are, oh, 9-11 (depending on the child) move on to more engaging works, such as biographies and histories aimed at children and more serious works, like
Angels in Iron
Lord of the Rings
Patterns of History
The Romanovs
etc.
And by age 13-15 they will be ready for serious works like The Discourses, Gorgias, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

My oldest asked for the Aeneid in Latin for his 17th birthday

>> No.5168257

>>5168178
That isn't how homeschooling works. My kids have a wide circle of friends

>> No.5168271

>>5168188
FFS
Study after study has clearly demonstrated home schooled kids are *better* socialized than public or private schooled kids.

Here, which sounds more natural:
Home schooling - kids spend their time with their family and siblings of all ages and accompany their parents shopping, running errands, etc. interacting with a wide range of people int he course of routine life. They have an opportunity to speak to and interact with all manner of people while learning what adults do all day
Public/Private school - children are grouped together by geographic proximity and matchd with other kids because they are all within a few months of being the same age. These children then spend hours a day isolated from their families, from the outside world and from anyone not also from the same limited area and close to their own age. The only adult they interact with is a paid educator that is no relation to them. Their ability to interact is strictly limited, their time is tightly controlled, and they have no interaction with the routine of daily adult life. The are even isolated from their own siblings

Which sounds like it is getting you ready for reality?

>> No.5168276

>>5168257
which you have decided for them. Unless you lined up 100 kids and had him/her interact with them all and pick the ones worth keeping.

The most important part of school is probably the interaction with other kids and different teachers

>> No.5168278

If what is in a book agrees with the contents of the Qur’an, then it is redundant. And, if the contents of the book do not agree with the Qur’an, then such contents are heresy.

>> No.5168286

>>5168271
The school sounds far more close to the reality they are going to live in as an adult

>> No.5168291

>>5168271

> the real world

obviously public schools. your parents aren't there forever, and being forced away from them inspires a sense of independence.

>> No.5168302

>>5168276
This is so true.

>> No.5168305

>>5168276
What, you think I keep them in tupperware?
Kids from the neighborhood, from church, from art classes, science labs, college visits, baseball, soccer, etc.

>> No.5168310

>>5168286
So you aren't grown and out of the house, yet?
And, again, studies prove home school kids are better socialized.

>> No.5168319

>>5168291
So you think being told what to do, when to do it, where to do it, how to do it and having when and what you eat, when and how long you can speak, and limiting who you are allowed to associate with (public and private school) is 'teaching a sense of independence'?
But helping to decide the course of your education, interacting with a wide range of people, and spending a fair amount of time alone isn't?
Let me guess - public school, land-grant university, right?

>> No.5168325

>>5168276
and all the kids will be within no more than 11 months difference in age and live within a few miles of the kids. All of the teachers studied the same sorts of things in college, spend most of their time with children, and usually have never worked outside of academia in their lives

>> No.5168339

God I would've hated to be homeschooled.

School is an adventure.

>> No.5168354

Home schooling would have been so great. I wish I had had it. My public school experience was a nightmare.

>> No.5168359

>>5168339
No offence, but most of the people I know who say that aren't very adventurous, they just think other people are scary

>> No.5168368
File: 3 KB, 178x149, 1394407559167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168161

>Skeptical Sue

That face gets me every time.

>> No.5168380

>>5168305
>homeschooling your kids
>going to church
*tips bible*

>> No.5168382

>>5168305
Kids who go to school have the opportunity to this as well. I suppose you have a set amount of time for teaching and set time where you choose for your child who to meet and befriend and that the purpose of it is to befriend them.
Perhaps they are better socialized, that'd be because there is one single force (you) who moulds them into what you deem to be right. If in your eyes that's better then that's just a value judgement which I can't say with any real facts to back up is wrong. I believe that it is better to give your child more autonomy to figure out their character.

>>5168325
At school you do not just interact with those in your year. There are opportunities to interact with a pool of up to 1000+ kids from 11-18. That's more than you can offer with any playdate or visit.
The claims about teachers are just baseless, no point in even addressing them.
What it'd appear you profess as being better for them is the fact that they don't get all of their experience from a localised group of people.
Kids who go to school do no live in school, they can do all the things you are saying you do for your child/children, the difference is that they do not spend any fixed amount of time with just 1 person influencing them for as long periods as a homeschooled child does. Now that is just fact. Take from that whether you think it's good or bad but it's just a fact.

>> No.5168385

>>5168359
Every kid finds other people scary, it's why there's a focus on social status in primary and secondary school among many kids.

Depends on how good your school options are, I hear a lot of shit about non- selective public schools.

>> No.5168399

>>5168380
Latin-mass Catholic church, at that
[should be **tips biretta**]

>> No.5168420

>spend 8 hours a day for 12 years getting beaten up and doing mindless busy work
>gun down classmates in autismal virgin rage at age 18

>> No.5168436

>tfw your teacher/parent posts on 4chan

>> No.5168440

>>5168382
I went to public school, myself, and enjoyed it a great deal (football team, student council, prom committee, yearbook committee, etc.)
But as someone who has ectually experienced both I can state that the benefits of home schooling (better academic performance, better socialization, far lower rates of depression, self-harm, suicide, drug use, alcohol use, etc.) to refuse to recognize the facts of the matter is just willfulness.
Remember, the originators of the home school movement in the early '70's were hardcore Lefties worried mainly about the autonomy of their kids! A very large fraction of current homeschoolers are still either Lefties who follow the same path or Libertarians/Objectivists who espouse 'non-coercise home schooling' (i.e., your kids decide as much for themselves as isn't actually dangerous) and report the same things - better academic performance, better socialization, less negatives, etc.So your conjecture that it is because of some sort of tight control don't withstand scrutiny.

>> No.5168446

>>5168440
[sorry - stupid phone keyboard]

>> No.5168479

Surrounded by idiots, steroid abuse, dumb kids who get in fights to prove status, nerds who feel like nerds, people walking into classrooms to punch someone else, rich kids who have an overinflated sense of self-worth but don't do anything useful except insult everyone else, egotistical young men who are completely ignorant of even the basics, girls who are raped, girls who are pressured into sex when they don't want to, fat girls who feel idiotic, ugly people who don't belong, shallowness, impoverished kids feeling extremely inferior to the rich kids, teachers who have long since given up and don't teach, babysitting for suburban parents who both work, drugs, heroin, meth.

All of this and more. I so wish I had been homeschooled.

>> No.5168488

>>5168479
Wow I wish you were exaggerating

>> No.5168489

>>5168479
>mfw this is the school experience of half of the posters itt
>it's a "I'm glad I wasn't born in the US" kind of feel

>> No.5168499
File: 289 KB, 660x598, antinatalit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168161
Pic related. As a homeschooled kid he will probably wish he wasn't born anyway, this will help him articulate it.

>> No.5168509

>>5168440
That is just your experience, that is my point. On the whole a direct comparison between homeschooling and 'normal' schooling can't be made because of all the variables which cause the stats to near pointless.
A homeschooled child already has: (99% of the time) A parent who values education, a parent who must be smart enough to qualify for being allowed to homeschool, a parent who has enough financial success to allow them to spend a big chunk of their time not doing work which brings in money.
How many disenfranchised children with parents who are drug addicts/alcoholics, who have no money etc are homeschoolers? 0. By virtue of the fact that the pool of children being homeschooled must be part of a family with a specific set of advantages, a direct comparison to school statistics has no real significance. It's like comparing a child whose father is a millionaire scholar and sends him to the top private school's chances of being 'successful' to the poor kid I just mentioned. It is not a worthwhile comparison.

These disparities would exist whether or not the child was homeschooled, if you could get the data of children who are homeschooled vs the data of the children in an alternate universe who had the exact same background but for some reason went to standard schooling then the comparison would have some bearing.

Along with this, I find it is dangerous to place all that responsibility to instil a child's values and way of thinking from just one source for such a long stretch of time every day. Perhaps you have 'better' values than everyone else, I'm not even saying that shittily, that could be true. I still think it'd be better for you to instil your values, have your child absorb ideas from a great number of other sources in schoolmates and teachers etc and have them discuss their worldview which is coloured not as strongly by you and have them grow in that way.

>> No.5168518

>>5168509
With all this, I still think a lot of the school experience is toxic. The same way i think a lot of life experience can be toxic

>> No.5168521

>>5168518
School is supposed to be toxic, it prepares you for a toxic world. Homeschool kids are sheltered from all kinds of violence, stupidity, corruption, bullying, manipulation, popularity contests et cetera. How will they prepare for working life?

>> No.5168524

>>5168440
I wonder how much this is the result from a selection bias. The people who will decide to homeschool their children are most likely people who have plans on how to do it and care about education, while some parents consider school to be a way of not having to deal with their children.

From my own experience, you have all kinds of situations in school, from the kids who are all but living on their own to the supereducated wonder kids from artistic or intellectual families who are two years in advance and master two instruments and three languages by age 12.
And it is to be expected, since school brings kids from all backgrounds in the same system.

Homeschooling, on the other hand, is a conscious choice, generally from people who benefitted from a good education or taught themselves out of ignorance. Which means the main demographic among homeschooling families correspond to the higher part of the demographic among families who send their kids to school (as far as education level and concern for education are concerned).

Which also means that a kid who tries both will likely favor homeschooling, because he will be likely to be homeschooled with caring and intelligent parents while in school he will meet all kinds of teachers and students.

For kids from destitue backgrounds and (most importantly) with uncaring parents, school can be the occasion to free yourself from a depressing environnment, while one could wonder what would happen to a kid homeschooled but intolerant and narrow-minded parents.

TL;DR: If your parents are smart and not neurotic, you'll be fine, with or without school, if your parents are dumb, you'll be in shit, with or without school

>> No.5168530
File: 10 KB, 255x200, 10472647_690336034376283_2652106617668005797_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw it's illegal to homeschool kids in my country

I'm seriously planning on moving when I have my child. I will not send them to a pig disgusting school.

>> No.5168535

Homeschooling should be illegal, it produces stunted, maladjusted individuals who will never feel at home in the world or know how to navigate it. Especially if they grew up in a religious hugbox.

>> No.5168544

>>5168530
School is a a good representation of life. If you don't want your children to experience such horrors you shouldn't have children in the first place. Homeschooling is just postponing reality.

>> No.5168555

>>5168161
The Greeks, like they did with Machiaveli.

>> No.5168568

>>5168509
First, the Yale longitudinal study demonstrated that home schooling is *less8 expensive overall than public schooling and that a mother with only a 4th grade reading level and a library card was able to educate her children to the same higher academic levels of performance generally seen in the homeschooled.
Home schooled kids come from all backgrounds and income levels, races, etc. and demonstrate the same positive effects. Indeed, the disparity seen b=in racial performance in public and private schools (minority children do poorer in academics regardless of their economic background) vanishes in home school situations (minority children of all economic backgrounds are indistinguishable in their academic performance from other children).

In short, reality is much different than the pre-conceived notions you just slapped down. Home schooling has a much *higher* positive effect on poor and minority children, not less, and plenty are doing home schools because where it is allowed by law it is cheap and easy.

>I find it dangerous to place the responsibility to instil a child's values and ways of thinking from jyst one source
etc.
In other words you are so unsure in your values you are confident enough to teach them to your kids.
Here is what I have seen actual adults do - if they are unsure of their personal values, they change them until they are sure.
Put it another way - If I thought what I believed was wrong, I'd change.
Now, since I am confident that my values are correct I would be *failing in my responsibilities* not to teach them to my kids.

>> No.5168569

>>5168544
I want to spare my child from the horros of life and I will. I live a fairly safe life inside, not leaving the house very much, and they'll be the same.

>> No.5168570

>>5168544
I don't agree with this one bit. Life is far more cozy and comfortable. I'm having a great time, while in high school I felt an enormous weight by being surrounded by incredible superficiality and ignorance. I'm sure it depends on where you're from. In my case, it was a dead suburban town full of rich kids who never read a book. It was nowhere near the reality I experienced when I moved into the cities and experienced culture and intelligent life. Again, our experiences must have been different, because the life I know now is full and rich, while my high school experience, likely because of the town I grew up in, was base, shallow, uneducated, and frankly moronic.

>> No.5168575

>>5168521
One of the stupidest things I have heard said this week.

>> No.5168580

>>5168524
see
>>5168568
poor people do homeschool
their kids also outperform public and private schooled kids

Do you people really know virtually nothing about homeschooling while you dismiss it out of hand?

>> No.5168590

>>5168535
Reality disagrees
http://www.usnews.com/education/high-schools/articles/2012/06/01/home-schooled-teens-ripe-for-college

The Ivy League actively recruits home schooled kids because they do better in school and have a fraction of the disciplinary and social issues public school kids have

>> No.5168594

>>5168569
How about not making them at all?

>>5168570
Life in that shitty school would have prepared you for life in that shitty town though. Of course the context of the school should match the context of the society you'll live in later, but if the school is worse than that's fine too.

>> No.5168598

>>5168590
Puhlease. The Ivy League recruits it's own. Many of them can afford to stay home and "school" their kids, so that's what's going on there.

>> No.5168603

>>5168590
America doesn't count, you can be mormon and taken for a full person there.

>> No.5168615

>>5168598
>this is what butthurt retards who got rejected from the Ivy League actually tell themselves so they can sleep better at night

Their is no evidence whatsoever for your assertions and every indication that they are no correct. Ivy League schools even pay the tuition of any student who is accepted but can't afford the cost--not just "scholarship students" but EVERY student.

>> No.5168616

>>5168580
Thats says nothing about the dedication of the parents. Some studies have showed indeed that in the case of children who go to school, the most important factor determining academic success wasn't income but emphasis put on reading and education by the parents.

So with dedicated parents who value education, even if they are not very well-educated or wealthy, a kid will be more likely to succeed on average.

The studies you mention still concern people who are willing to make the effort to homeschool their kids. So you haven't effectively addressed my point. The fact that you mention the case of mothers with a library card only further my case, I don't imagine someone who doesn't care about reading making the effort to get a library card.

I also note that you haven't got what I what saying:
>Do you people really know virtually nothing about homeschooling while you dismiss it out of hand?

I never dismissed homeschooling in general, and certainly not out of hand, my TL;DR was there to put emphasis on the dedication of the parents, wether they homeschool their children or not. You confrontational tone is also unwarranted ("you people"), we were pondering alternative readings of the same results, not butting heads on ultimate conclusion.

>> No.5168622

So if /lit/ would get to choose to re-live their early education, which one would you guys pick of the following?

> Home schooled by a caring and cultured parents
> A good boarding school with classical education
> International school(s) abroad
> The same public schools you went to

>> No.5168623

>>5168615
You're taking bait here, don't let the retards take over this thread. Ignore him.

>> No.5168631

>>5168622
The first one. My educational experience was the worst hell. Dumbed down to the level of kindergarten on steroids.

>> No.5168633

>>5168622
> A good boarding school with classical education
Is this even a question?

>> No.5168634

>>5168257
I have never met a homeschooled individual who does not have significant social problems, and not the haha autistic version present on 4chan. The collective argument is shit

>> No.5168636

>>5168622
Good boarding school with classical education, easily.

>> No.5168642

>>5168622
I'd take the same education I had. I went to public school but my parents took much care in my education, reading me books, raising me with an over-1000-books-library at home, and helping me with my homework or teaching me things in advance. For instance in freshman highschool I didn't take any note on the chapter on atoms because I had already got all of it from a science-for-teenagers book I had my parents buy me when I was 10 (yes, the highschool freshman level of knowledge on atoms is pretty low, but you get my point).

>> No.5168643

>>5168615
> be from Protestant Europe
> Money is sort of a taboo in family
> want to apply to Ivy League but can't because of this

>> No.5168653

>>5168568
>>5168580
1. You are not infallible no matter how right you may believe you are
2. This isn't about you personally. You keep going on about this lack of confidence/whatever. No, I am not arrogant enough to believe my values are 100% correct as it would appear you do.
3. Regardless of your set of values there is no real right and wrong. Right and wrong changes dependant on the person, no matter what you child is interested in, be they shy, eccentric, artistic, hardworking, they will all eventually be moulded into your apparent golden standard for a human being.
3. Again this isn't about you, it's homeschooling.
Do you believe all homeschoolers have parents with the gold standard of values as you do?
4. Regardless of whether they are poor or not, if they homeschool they already put a lot of value in their children and education. This apparent fact that it is due to the homeschooling not due to the type of parent they have is questionable.
Again the pool from which data is being drawn is from, by definition children whose parents: 1. Care deeply about them 2. Believe education is important 3. Do not necessarily value society's standards. This says something about the parenting only. (which almost all Psychological studies deem to be the most influential part of a child's worldview)
5. This argument that I'm not an adult and that 'actual adults' act in a certain way is conjecture nonsense so already it would seem your standards and by extension the standards you teach your child are not 'right'. You believing you are right does not make you right, clearly.
6. You can still instil your values to your child and have them go to school where they are less sheltered, get to experience the ugly parts of humans in a way which they should when they are young etc and you, being a caring parent would still be able to listen to them and let them grow. They just don't get their worldview as drummed into them by one person who as we've seen is not always right.

Take home point. The stats about homeschool vs standard schooling are also the stats of children, by definition, who have parents who value their education and are assertively caring vs a pool of children where that may or may not be the case.
The comparison is not one which can be made as homeschooling vs standard schooling because there are too many external factors which by definition give the homeschoolers the advantage without any measurable proof that is was the homeschooling itself which caused the improvement

>> No.5168659

>>5168643
So your parents are rich but won't pay? You should apply anyway, their attitude might change if their kid can actually show them an acceptance letter from Harvard or Yale. Even if it doesn't, contact the university, Ivy League schools will often go to great lengths to accommodate each student's personal situation.

>> No.5168668

>>5168598
Had to go to State, huh?

>> No.5168681

>>5168271
But there's a need to develop an independence. Is your son gonna sneak off during lunch to make out with the hot girl from chemistry, or punch a bully in the stomach, or decide for himself whether or not to accept drugs from the kid with a skateboard on his backpack, or sneak out of swimming practice to go to Taco Cabana with his friends, or get a handjob after school in the woods behind the baseball field when he tells you he's staying for tutoring, or start a hip hop group at lunch, or found a dolphin club with the environmental science teacher, or get accused of murder threats by the bitchy girl in third period, or accidentally step on some poor kid's year-long art project, or feel pressured into wearing certain clothes, or do anything normal kids do at school, if he's at home? I assure you, all of these things are as important to child development as reading and table manners.

>> No.5168684

>>5168616
So in other words your complaint boils down to 'well, sure, it is a far superior method of raising and educating children, but it requires the parents to be involved'
OK - and?
>BTW home schooled kids outperform kids with the 15 'most involved' parents from public and private schools, too, so it isn't just parental involvement

and don't pretend to be aggrieved

>> No.5168686

>>5168681
Like buying automatic machine guns and annihilating the lunch cafeteria before committing suicide?

>> No.5168689

>>5168622
the Real World shows that option one produces the best-educated, best-adjusted people

>> No.5168690

>>5168653
Pretty much this. Parenting usually defines the child along with 1000 other external factors. When it comes to something like this, it is similar to the studies done on children who were put on day care when young. Regardless of background, class a bunch of other shit, the most significant characteristic in defining the child's success was their relationship with their primary caregiver (usually their mother).
To pit homeschool and normal schooling isn't a comparison which lends itself to an easy answer or even any answer at all which can be measured.
Other factors define the child

>> No.5168691

>>5168686
I promise you none of those kids got handjobs ever.

>> No.5168695

>>5168634
>my personal anecdote trumps everyone elses and all academic studies
Let me guess. In school you were
'gifted'
>but not in the gifted program
but an 'underachiever' who was socially ostracized because others were 'jealous' of your 'intelligence'?

>> No.5168700

>>5168689
On the other hand, the most successful schooling model, the Finnish one, is 99.9% public schools.

>> No.5168705

Don't you want your kid to lose his virginity by 17 and get into a little trouble and get his heart broken by some girl in 8th grade and get a few absolutely horrible teachers to deal with and have to go to the office to deal with some bullshit scheduling issue and have to tell the shitheads cutting in line at lunch to get the fuck out and all that stuff? Don't you want your son to learn to do things that you don't control? It's Finding Nemo shit.

>> No.5168719

>>5168705
>le pleb experience face

>> No.5168726

>>5168700
Finland is also monocultural and has a tiny population.

>> No.5168730

I was homeschooled up until my junior year. I've read constantly since I was old enough to understand Goosebumps, but it wasn't something my parents forced me to do. Until I was maybe 14 I was extremely autistic by 4chan standards. Played video games, read constantly, didn't talk to many people, was pretty edgy. After a while I became kind of self aware, started dressing better, working out, talking to girls etc etc. The thing is most people I know that were/are homeschooled never really got that self awareness so they're socially fucked in one way or another. I lost my virginity at 16 but I still have trouble making significant friendships is difficult and it's hard conversing with people my age. So if you plan on homeschooling your kid consider that you'll probably be socially stunting them while giving them a better academic start.

>> No.5168732

>>5168653
1. Never made that claim
2. So you *are* unsure of your own beliefs [and apparently ignorant of the use of 'you' and 'your' to phrase a general argument]
3. "Regardless of your set of values there is no real right and wrong". Classic - making an absolute values statement while denying the existence of absolute values. Morality is obviously objective and any attempt to deny this reveals at best ignorance on the part of the speaker.
Also, you keep moving the goal posts. You calim to be speaking about home schooling but are criticizing it based upon the moral and other beliefs of the parents. When i speak of the moral and other beliefs of the parents you claim I am missing the point. Obvious, clumsy, and uncompelling.
4. This reveals nothing but your own level of ignorance. As mentioned above homeschooled kids with a totally disinterested parent and one interested or dedicated parent outperform kids with two dedicated or very dedicated parents (the Birkbeck Analysis of 2004 and Tillis, McGovern, et. al) In short, your unsupported assertion is false.
5. My personal belifs about your level of mental and emotional maturity re what they are. you whining about it does not invalidate 40 years of schilarly research I was not directly involved with. Nor does it mean you aren't immature in your moral and ethical outlook.
6. Again, you are assuming that home schooled kids are somehow 'sheltered' from reality and public schooled children are not. With emphasis, scholarly research demonstrates your unsupported assertion is false; home schooled kids are more aware of and better informed about alternate viewpoints than public or private schooled children, and more facile at meeting, speaking with, and socially interacting with people of different cultures, and more tolerant of dissent than public school kids. It is part of the entire 'better socialized' results.

Your take home point is merely that 'sure, home schooled kids do better and they can thank their parents'.
So what? Look back at OP's post, look at what you wrote, and realize that OPs kids are going to do better for a number of reasons starting with his interest and dedication.

All you did here is prove you don't know much about the topic you are arguing about

>> No.5168733

>>5168719
>le spending time shitposting on online anime board experience is far better face

>> No.5168736

>>5168705
>>5168681
>>5168479
What's the deal with all these shit school experiences? Is this how public school life is in the the US? Nothing much happened in my experience it was rather boring and no 'bullying' really happened except for the usual curry jokes if you happen to be a paki like me.

>> No.5168740

>>5168736
>paki

Oh look it's an invader. Kill yourself subhuman.

>> No.5168742

>>5168736
I went to a school that was like 75% Hispanic, 13% black, 10% white and 2% other (Asian mostly). It wasn't a gang-infested shithole or anything, but it was a fun time.

>> No.5168744

>>5168681
LOL!
Let me repeat - they aren't kep in tupper wareThe oldest beat the shit out of the neighborhood bully when he was 15, goes to dances, etc., etc., etc.
He also gets to pick his own educational paths and foci (now that he is older) and is [wait for it] going to college on a full ride.
he started college at 15.
You guys act like normal people that aren't in education never face choices, surprises, have to deal with mistakes, etc.
Mkes me wonder if you are all still in school, actually.

>> No.5168748

>>5168695
Do people actually think those dumb public school "gifted programs" mean anything? When I was in high school they pretty much took anyone with an IQ over 120.

>> No.5168749

>>5168744
I guess the important question here is whether or not he got to experience prime teen pussy.

>> No.5168759

>>5168736
It depends on where you live. It does seem that the majority face the typical American experience of mindlessness and a lack of education in favor of babysitting steroid and drug-addicted future criminal types.

>> No.5168761

>>5168684
>So in other words your complaint boils down to 'well, sure, it is a far superior method of raising and educating children, but it requires the parents to be involved'

No. First, it isn't a complaint, but a reservation, second, I'm not saying it is a far superior method of raising children, I'm saying we have to see how its benefits correlates with parents involvementd.
Note one thing in passing: my comments also imply that homeschooling won't work for children with disaffected parents, which is indeed one of the major problem with the current system of education.

>BTW home schooled kids outperform kids with the 15 'most involved' parents from public and private schools, too, so it isn't just parental involvement

Now we're getting somewhere.
I guess you meant to say "the 15% most involved parents". In order to know what those results means, we need to know how "involved" are the parents homeschooling their kids (using the same metric as that used on parents with kids from private and public schools).

I get now that homeschooling tend to bridge the gap in income and education (parents with low education but strong involvement will have better success if they homeschool their kids).

So if we agree that homeschooling produce better results in those cases (leaving aside the problem of parents involvement which, as I said, is the main one), the question is, how do you go about it (choice of subjects, kind of exercises, hours of work, assessing results and so on)?

Do you get state fundings or advice from friends or professionals (child psychologists, etc.) ?
Do you know other parents who homeschool their kids and if yes what are your differences ?

From what you say I guess your kids have roughly the same kind of extrascolar activities as children in school do (when they do).
Thus I'll add a second question: do your children have friends who are not homeschooled and if yes have you noticed any differences between them ?

>and don't pretend to be aggrieved
I'm not pretending anything, I just think that your tone isn't alway matching the quality of your argumentation, and I find that curious. Why be defensive when we're just trying to pin down where exactly are the benefits of homeschooling compared to tradtional schooling? This isn't a Chruch war. I understand that as a parent, seeing your way of parenting challenged by conformists over the internet while it has yielded good results is infuriating, but this is 4chan after all, you've got to ignore the idiots they swarm you. I think you and I were having a polite conversation. Now sorry if I overinterpreted your comments, but my 4chan habits have developped my ear for slander.

>> No.5168763

>>5168749
In my experience the best way to get that was via scouting.

Lost my virginity to a 15 year old girl scout when I was a 12 year old boy scout. 10/10 would recommend.

Sign your kid up for scouting OP.

>> No.5168766

>>5168700
False. The most successful *public education* school model for *daily knowledge subjects* is the Finnish one. As some very good analyses have demonstrated Finnish students aren't very good at all at advanced subjects (especially higher math) and they under perform British and American private schools.
Thus they under perform British and American home schoolers.

Finnish schools are just the best of a bad lot in specific areas

>> No.5168767

>>5168740
:(

>> No.5168772

>>5168766
> . As some very good analyses have demonstrated Finnish students aren't very good at all at advanced subjects (especially higher math) and they under perform British and American private schools.
So, uh, what are the analyses?

>> No.5168773

>>5168705
Once more, with feeling, I don't need to have him get a sub-par education to experience real life.

>> No.5168774
File: 165 KB, 1600x900, 1402405412418.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168767
BACK TO THE JUNGLE NIGGER

RULE BRITANNIA

>> No.5168777

>>5168748
No, but I simply adore the people that couldn't even get into *those* but are still very confident that they are 'gifted but an underachiever'

>> No.5168780

>>5168732
>1. Never made that claim
2. "No, I am not arrogant enough to believe my values are 100% correct as it would appear you do" = unsure of your own beliefs.

What is the difference between believing your values are 100% correct and believing you are infallible?

The rest I've gone through minus the study which I can not find online and this phantom scholarly research.

Your number 5 was especially pointless. "I made a judgement about you based on very little/nothing and made a judgement on what 'actual adults' do... what more is there to say

As for your final point. Does that prove that homeschooling works or does it prove good parenting works?

And OP was asking about books.

>> No.5168781

>>5168749
>To hell with education, social skills, preparation for life, job skills, morals, or ethics - is your son getting laid?
The best reminder that /lit/ is on 4chan

>> No.5168782

>>5168161

What's the story behind this pic? Are this children retarded, the fruit of indreed sexual intercourse or something?

>> No.5168788

>>5168782
They're a covert CIA group who work behind the scenes.

>> No.5168790

>>5168781
Getting prime teen pussy at least once every couple weeks in high school is essential to personal development.

>> No.5168793

>>5168790
>tfw stunted for life

oh well

>> No.5168815

>>5168761
the methods of choosing curricula are many, varied, and hotly contested. They range from a formal programs that includes online tutors, 24/7 phone support from counselors with M.Ed.s and more down to 'well, they'll pick it up, I'm sure". Personally we are in the middle choosing specific elements of formal syllabi from ages 7 until 14 then the child helps select until in college or out of the house. Once kids are reading at 6th grade level (between 5 and 9 years old for us) they read what they like and we recommend titles. We teach math through pre-calc and handwriting until it is legible enough. The rest they help pick until 14 then they pick it all.
We tell them the state requirements to graduate high school and they are responsible for making sure they learn the topics well enough to pass the standardized test. We are always on standby to assist of course.
The oldest maxed out his SAT and ACT, got a full ride to an engineering program at 15. His younger sibiling was accepted as an apprentice with the DGA and goes next year (at 16) to begin his formal apprenticeship.
Weird thing is, unschoolers ('they'll pick it up, I am not going to worry about it') and strict schoolers ['I have a schedule, and desks, and weekly quizzes, and tutors online'] - their kids score about equal on standardized tests and the unschooled kids tend to do a little better in college

As for my tone, I am dealing with someone ignorant of the very basics of the topic at hand. Repeated unsupported assertions, WAGs, and suppositions grow tiresome

>> No.5168821

>>5168766
Gabriel Sahlgren did one (and wrote a short article for a British paper about it) as did Koerselman and Kassel

>> No.5168825

>>5168772
Sorry, see

>>5168821

>> No.5168827

>>5168815
Nobody gives a shit about getting into college or doing well on tests. If your kid's a 99.9th percentile kid that doesn't matter. What matters is getting PTP (prime teen pussy).

>> No.5168833

>>5168744
What the fuck is a dance? Is that like Christian clubbing?

>> No.5168839

>>5168790
>this degeneracy

Still, what I'm most jelly of is a friend of mine who met his wife in a preschool for gifted children; he first asked her out (for ice cream) when they were eight and they've been going out non-stop until their marriage at age 22, which was four years ago.

>> No.5168841

>>5168781
>social skills and preparation for life
>not getting laid in your teens

Pick one

>> No.5168843

>>5168788

lel

No, seriously: do any of you guys know what the fuck is this pic?

>> No.5168845

>>5168839
>dat anecdote

Purity and virtue turn me on so much, but corrupting them is even better. I want to NTR your friend.

>> No.5168848

I fucked my teacher and got to feel like a king.
I would have had to have fucked my mother to feel that kind of everlasting power if i were homeschooled.

check and mate

>> No.5168854

My high school was roughly 40% white, 30% black. What a shithole.

I believe I read an article in the SPLC that said my demographic background was like the perfect stew to breed racists. Guilty (of not giving a fuck)

>> No.5168855

>>5168839
That sounds horrible, even the couples I know that have been together since high school have something eery and disjointed about them. Their relationships seem more based on habit and dependency than choice, like they stick together because they wouldn't know what to do otherwise because they've abandoned their youth before they could properly finish puberty.

>> No.5168857

>>5168780
So, you don't know what the word 'infallible' means.

Here is a question. Are you certain you just wrote something on 4chan? Really, 100% certain?
Does that mean you think you are infallible?
Of course not.

Knowing that I am confident in my beliefs and moral values does not mean *nor imply* that I am infallible.

Listen, I get it - regardless of the facts the evidence, the research you just can't be bothered to do, you just *know* it is only about parental involvement. I get it. Clues like not knowing what 'infallible' mean, 'not being able to find research online' about parental involvement and homeschooling [protip: my screen says 'about 146,000 results in 0.09 seconds' just for scholarly articles online. The ones I specifically mentioned are on pages 1 and 3], and not understanding my reference to OPs original post make it clear you are going to stick your your erroneous beliefs no matter what.

What else should I expect from someone who thinks there is no right and wrong?

Believe as you like. But I encourage any one else reading this to research on your own into homeschooling and find out for yourself just how advantageous it is for all involved.

>> No.5168858

>>5168815

> Personally we are in the middle choosing specific elements of formal syllabi from ages 7 until 14 then the child helps select until in college or out of the house.

I see, so having the kid take responsability in the choice of subjects is part of the point ? It's interesting. Probably a good solution to the "I don't like this useless subject" syndrome.

>Weird thing is, unschoolers ('they'll pick it up, I am not going to worry about it') and strict schoolers ['I have a schedule, and desks, and weekly quizzes, and tutors online'] - their kids score about equal on standardized tests and the unschooled kids tend to do a little better in college

It's indeed suprising at first, it has perhaps to do with the limits of standarized tests (they can't test for understanding or even for mastery, simply for mild grasp of a few key points). If I understand you well you're among the "unschoolers" ?

>unschooled kids tend to do a little better in college

Perhaps a consequence of the "teaching to the test" bias. Someone preparing with tutor for a test will perform well but also have more trouble adapting to new testing standard when moving to college.

>As for my tone, I am dealing with someone ignorant of the very basics of the topic at hand.

This is 4chan, it's the law of the land unfortunately. The worst those comment can do to you is lower the quality of your posts (but you mostly kept your head above them so that's fine).

Anyways, thanks for responding in lenght. You definitely got me interested in that method. I'll perhaps make another post with suggestions for OP, and that will be it.

>> No.5168862

>>5168843
In the 1950's, a covert CIA operation emerged, codenamed Radical Larry, in which the fellows in the picture posed as a family so that they could carry out the subversion of a certain government leader. Radical Larry succeeded in toppling the regime, mainly by the work of the short guy, #7, when he burrowed into the enemy compound and planted DMT in the drink of the target, just before target gave a speech to the public. It resulted in humiliation for the target, and the subsequent downfall of his regime. Radical Larry was the most successful CIA operation in history, due mostly to #7 and his exceptional burrowing skills.

>> No.5168866

>>5168827
Why? So you can live vicariously as you approach wizardhood?

>> No.5168869

>>5168833
Yeah, but everyone is better dressed

>> No.5168872

>>5168866
It's a once in a lifetime thing. Getting to swap virginities with a 15 year old ballet blonde is the greatest thing one can do.

>> No.5168875

>>5168869
I bet they behave very respectfully.

>> No.5168891

>>5168858
Absolutely - a key element in our approach is phasing the kids into responsibility and self-reliance as they grow up.

We are certainly NOT unschoolers. And the unschoolers actually do know the topics at hand - it isn't just 'good at test', they do well in college and at work. Remember, the parents are doing no formal education AT ALL and do NOT prepare them for testing in any way! Typically they just have a lot of books laying around and have the kids help them in day-to-day life learning by doing ["triple the ingredients for the recipe', 'figure out how much wood we need for shelves", etc].

>> No.5168898

>>5168875
*usually*. I chaperone a lot and there are fistfights out back over girls, guys trying to get a nip of rum, etc. Not as many, not as often, but not zero

>> No.5168907

>>5168898
>a nip of rum
So wait, your kids don't go to parties every now and then and get wasted? Come on man.

>> No.5168911

>>5168857
Educate me. And at least answer the questions

What is the difference between believing your values are 100% correct and believing you are infallible?

Does that point prove that homeschooling works or that good parenting works?

And since you asserted it, the burden of proof is on you to prove unequivocally with your 100% belief in your values that morality is objective. I'm intrigued

>> No.5168924

>>5168907
No, why would I do that? Sure, they have some wine with dinner, maybe something stronger when we have company over, but bleh

>> No.5168934

>>5168161
From my own experience, I'd say:

>1-6 years
Children books with nice images and a wide range of stories (The Wizard's Apprentice, Where the Wild Thing Are, stories about animals and so on).

>6-10 years
Children books (except he read them this time) and compilations of myths and history (Greek, Hindu, Chinese, Arab, Latin, Egyptian tales + lives of great men, knight medieval stories, that kind of stuff). Pay attention to the gory stuff, children can handle it but only to an extent. After 8 you can start suggesting him simple but nice short stories (I remember enjoying Chekov around 10-12, as long as the style is simple don't be afraid to give him so big names), as well as play (even better if you take him see them perform). Simple poetry is nice. Adventure novels (Jules Verne-like stuff) could also interest him.

>10-12
He should start picking his own books by now. It could be good to give him non-fiction on science, history, philosophy (the simplified things they do for teenagers are generally entrancing and, depending on the collection, well-made). He could also start reading more demanding novels and more complex poetry but no need to hurry on that last point (Balzac and other serious but fun and dramatic enough novelists are a good try).

>12-15
It's time to dabble seriously in philosophy and history (detailed secondary texts, translated primary texts, untranslated primary texts depending on the language you speak). No need to be boring about it, you have Memoirs, dialogs, analysis of the very myths he read as child !

>15+

Keep suggesting whatever stuff you think will interest him, and keep buying books, but at that point he's on his own playing the field.

Most importantly: aim for diversity, don't be afraid of challenging works (kids are good at picking things up and will meet your demands as long as you keep it fun and are not being an irrealistic asshole about it), and, above all, put emphasis on how fun and interesting reading is. You want to grow a lifelong passion in him, not engineer the new Superman.

I case you think my list is irrealistic: I read Chekov and Melville around 10, Molière before 12, Kant and Dante before 15. All of that I did because I thought it was fun, and because my parents encouraged me. I also know someone whose life was changed when he read In Search of Lost Time (the whole of it) at 14. Reading is not that hard when you like it.

>> No.5168939

>>5168911
You didn't even bother to look up the definition of 'infallible' before you doubled-down on this? Really?

and this is classic
>since you asserted it the burden of proof is on you...
go back through the thread, genius - my statement was *in response* to the statement that
>"...there is no real right and wrong"
By you, I believe.
Since they stated it, isn't the burden of proof on them, i.e., you?

Try this mickey mouse stuff on someone else

>> No.5168944

>>5168934
I realised my list wasn't specific enough. Basically for each category I mention, look into the correspond section of the /lit sticky. That's more than enough, and the the rest will come out of curiosity.

>> No.5168957

>>5168891
>Remember, the parents are doing no formal education AT ALL and do NOT prepare them for testing in any way! Typically they just have a lot of books laying around and have the kids help them in day-to-day life learning by doing ["triple the ingredients for the recipe', 'figure out how much wood we need for shelves", etc].

Ah, I see, I was mitaken. I believe Montaigne was raised in similar fashion (but with the means that an old aristocratic family could afford back then). That seems like a nice method, I'll probably draw from it (wether I send my children to school or not) if I ever have children.

>> No.5168964

>>5168161
>homeschool

this should be considered child abuse

>> No.5168967

>>5168161
definitely shouldn't be teaching children with no experience teaching dude

>> No.5168976

>>5168939

I know my conclusion but again you are not answering the questions, just answer the questions truthfully. This is the second time you've just claimed i don't know what it means but fail to answer the question. Don't just judge me, answer the question.

The same with the next:

Does that point prove that homeschooling works or that good parenting works?

My statement "there is no real right and wrong" stems from my belief that morality is a man-made concept. Our experience of the world is based on our senses and our understanding which we can not be certain of. The reality of many things we perceive to be true could well be too great, too queer for us to understand. We can not know anything with absolute certainty.

>> No.5169008

>>5168967
Are you implying that someone with a bachelor's of education is any more qualified than a good parent? It's well known that education attracts the dumbest of the dumb, basically the people who can't hack any other major. It's almost criminal that these people are given the responsibility of teaching our kids.

>> No.5169046

>>5168479
This guy gets it. Keep your kid away from these people until he's 18 at which point he'll go to college or get a job where he'll never have to deal with idiots, violent people, nerds, bullies, smug rich people, egotists, the abused, loners, outsiders, vapid people, the downtrodden and people who can't be bothered, because when you turn 18 all these people have to go live in Antarctica meaning you're surrounded exclusively with happy sane well adjusted people for the rest of your life.

>> No.5169058

>>5169046
Add to that the Physical Education teacher who sleeps with his students.

>> No.5169061

>>5169058
>because everybody needs to experience pedophilia to be well-adjusted

>> No.5169063

If you homeschool your kid, make sure he is socialized.

I spent my days in a farmhouse across from a cotton field. I had no friends and spent my time masturbating and playing videogames.

It has taken me this long to not be a fucking whacko.

Make sure he has a chance to be with kids his age.

>> No.5169080

>>5168898
jesus, it's like the 1950's. i wonder if they will blame you for not enjoying their youth.

>> No.5169083

>>5168957
As the son if two tenured statisticians I'm glad I wasn't schooled this way.

>> No.5169088

>>5169063
how old are you

tell us some stories about your weird teenage years

>> No.5169121

Welcome to the real world you NEET faggot

>> No.5169138

>>5168161
Ulysses
The Greeks
Gravity's Rainbow

>> No.5169155

>>5168976
The reason I am not answering it is because it is nonsensical.
Yes, I belief that my moral values are correct. No, I do not believe I am infallible. Conflating the two is rather odd, in my opinion.

As I have pointed out about 20 times - homeschooling works.

and - you can't support your contention with anything more than anecdotes and emotional appeals.

>> No.5169163

>>5169080
Who says they aren't enjoying their youth?
From the other messages here most of you didn't

>> No.5169165

>>5168843
They're the heroes you deserve but don't need.

>> No.5169172
File: 963 KB, 892x876, 1389654051929.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168305
>Kids from the neighborhood, from church, from art classes, science labs, college visits, baseball, soccer, etc.
this makes me so happy I'm a postmodern degenerate

>> No.5169183

>>5169172
Like you degenerates believe in happiness.

>> No.5169192

>>5169183
we invented it by throwing off the joke of virtue

>> No.5169194

>>5169192
Pleasure is not the same as happiness.

>> No.5169196

>>5169192
that was supposed to be yoke, thanks freud

>> No.5169202

>>5168161
> If I were to homeschool my son, what should I have him read?
Der Bibel, of course.

>> No.5169205

You're on /lit/, which makes you unfit to raise a child.

Have him read the phonebook and call CPS

>> No.5169218

>>5169194
No, but it is instrumental in achieving it.

>> No.5169237

>>5169202
It's die Bibel.

The Bible is feminine in all relevant languages I'm aware of.

>> No.5169290

>>5169155
Again none of the questions I asked were answered. And again you either made up a question to answer or misunderstood it for the 4th time.
>'Homeschooling works'
Define 'works?' did I deny that it 'works' on your definition of it.
Again, just a post of avoidance.

top kek m8

>> No.5169409

I'm 18 years of age and I just finished high school.

Sometime during grade 11 a couple of new students arrived. They were brother and sister and they were both very awkward. I learned they were homeschooled their entire lives.

I went to a catholic school in Canada and it was a rather safe and quiet environment. Even still these students had some trouble socializing without spilling spaghetti all over the place.

It took a bit of time but they eventually found a group of friends and by grade 12 they were decently adjusted.

They both have odd speech patterns though. They both talk really fast like they're nervous all the time and the brother stutters a little.

They're both very smart and did well academically, but I still believe that being homeschooled screwed with their social skills.

They both came from a religious family and the guy is going to become a priest.

I doubt anyone that would give up love and intimacy could be a very socially normal individual.

>> No.5169415

just start with the greeks

>> No.5169424
File: 33 KB, 358x361, laughinggirls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw /lit/ is pozzed as fuck and will send their children to public schools so they can get their white privileged removed via the common core instead of following a rigorous curriculum, then get expelled for making a gun with their fingers on the playground or shot to death during lunch by a disgruntled autist

Whatever, less competition for my kids

>> No.5169438

>>5169424
>implying the best way to raise your kids isn't to subject them to needless bullshit and ceaseless shenanigans

>> No.5169473

>>5169424
whatever fag, enjoy having a kid who isn't used to the absolute bullshit of contemporary society and folds the second somebody does something "unfair" to him

>> No.5169478

So many Holden Caulfields in here

>> No.5169516

>>5169424
mpcdot.com?

>> No.5169552

>>5168271
Have you ever met many home schooled kids? I had the luxury of working with a few at a grocery store, and while they aren't completely socially inept they are a bit... off.
Home school syndrome.

>> No.5169561

>>5168319
Yes, sometimes being oppressed can spark radical independence. If you go through high school submissive as opposed to rebellious society would indoctrinate you regardless.

>> No.5169565

>>5169552
chris-chan went to public high school

>> No.5169571

>>5169473

I can confirm this as someone who was homeschooled their whole life and is going nowhere.

>> No.5169643

>>5169409

>Thinking that being a priest means giving up love and intimacy.

It's like you don't even know what those words even mean

>> No.5169729

>>5169643
Intimacy is a synonym for intercourse

>> No.5169978

>>5168622
Public school, I had an amazing time

>> No.5170017

>>5168907

Do you really think that's what most kids in public school do anyway?

>> No.5170049

>>5169473
This. You can always spot a homeschooled kid, they're awkward and soft.

>> No.5170058

>>5169729

You're so edgy you don't even realize priests aren't all celibate.
You obviously aren't a spiritual person because you seem to lack an understanding of the depth of fulfillment that such lifestyles can offer. You just automatically think "Oh, religion. That couldn't possibly be fun."

Essentially this entire thread has been people who went to public school saying that homeschooling sucks because you don't get experience sex and drinking, which isn't even true, and which most students don't really experience anyway even in public school.

>> No.5170076

>>5169571

So the problem was your schooling and not anything to do with you, right?

>>5169473

In my experience the people I've known who were homeschooled have been the strongest in the face of adversity and injustice because they know things don't have to be that way.

>> No.5170086

>>5168924
>Being this pleb

>> No.5170105

>>5170076
>So the problem was your schooling and not anything to do with you, right?

both

>> No.5170107

>>5170105

Did you ever consider that the reason why you were homeschooled is because you showed symptoms early on?

>> No.5170114

"Why the fuck are my parents useless pieces of shit?" by Everyone that was homeschooled, ever.

>> No.5170142

>>5170107

Me and my sisters were homeschooled because our parents are super religious/conservative and didn't want us involved in the public school system.

>> No.5170148

the very best schools (Eton, Exeter, Nara) > homeschooling > the rest of public/private schools

>> No.5170150

>>5170058
It's about not getting to experiencing gang mentality, manipulation, abuse, unfairness, having to fall in line even though the system is flawed and unjust, being subjected to people of lesser capabilities because they got on top some other way, subtle power dynamics between supposed equals, rules and violations of them, in short, being institutionalised to prepare you for a society that is one great institution. It's about learning how you should pay lip service to one thing and do the other, to learn how to lie creatively, to navigate around your superiors, to placate who you need, to antagonise where necessary et cetera.

It's the bad things you should not miss out on, not the good things. School is a miniature version of the real world, that's what's so important about it. It's an education in Realpolitik that starts in kindergarten.

>> No.5170171
File: 395 KB, 616x730, Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 7.52.36 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168161
>the bible
>the book of mormon
>whatever jehovah's witnesses read
i've met many homeschooled kids in my life and they were all weird as fuck and had some major social failing. interacting with your family doesn't give you social skills and scheduled social interaction doesn't prepare you for the world. get a job instead of teaching them and pay for private school. if you have too many kids to pay for, have fewer kids.
>>5168271
you sound insane

>> No.5170173
File: 48 KB, 338x551, 1402611905481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170150
>actually believing this fucking retarded nonsense

>> No.5170177
File: 382 KB, 1024x1475, 1402238563568.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170171
> have fewer kids.

>> No.5170181

>>5170173
>not wanting to teach your kids the subtleties of being tied for valedictorian halfway through senior year and, fucking the girlfriend of the kid you're tied with and sending him pictures of your dick in her mouth the night before semester exams to ensure victory
You won't learn that at home.

>> No.5170185

>>5170171
Translation
>science that disagrees with my opinion is dumb

>> No.5170191

>>5170150
>even though the system is flawed and unjust
>the system

Sounds like you really learned about life.

>> No.5170196

Every single homeschooled child I have met has been "abnormal" in multiple ways, and the vast majority of those abnormalities are, at least in my view, negative ones. These may not necessarily be reflected in measures of educational success or self-reported happiness or whatever metric is used to judge the efficacy of homeschooling, but the fact that many of the people in this thread alone have said the same thing attests to the existence of a downside to homeschooling.

I think it's probably best to homeschool them through 8th grade then send them to high school/

>> No.5170197

>>5170181
What the fuck? Is that actually what happened to you? I just got first in my class through good old-fashioned ass-kissing and hard work. Plus none of the weird Hollywood-movie crap that people here are claiming they/your average kid experienced in high school ever happened to me.

>> No.5170198

>>5169192
>being moral and good is hard
Must be tough, being that edgy

>> No.5170200

>>5169290
Is English your second language or your third?

>> No.5170204

>>5169552
I only know about 400 home school kids, what with being a parent of 6 of them and teaching others

>> No.5170205

>>5170197
Yeah. High school was Degrassi as hell for me. My school was top-heavy and the whole top 5 was tied for a long time. My school was on a GPA system in which an A is an A and a B is a B regardless of actual number grade, so I would run up my test scores at the beginning of a grading period and then slack off and get a few 0s on homework at the end to get a flat 90. But, I learned that the tiebreaker for GPA would be numerical grades. Everyone freaked out and we all fucked each other over. Emotionally distressing someone the night before semester exams is the best method.

>> No.5170209

>>5170204
You wouldn't recognise it since you're one of those creepy fucks yourself, of course.

>> No.5170220

>>5170197
Not the guy you're responding to, but the competition for the valedictorian position did actually teach me some rather important things about life, notably that what determines your success is not only your talent but also your advance preparation and capability to capitalize on opportunities before others see them.

I was third-ranked in my class, and out of the top ten out of a couple hundred I was one of the few people who hadn't entered high school through the gifted program; the gifted program, while being relatively worthless in most regards, gave the people who went from it to my HS a minor advantage in their weighted GPA, so for someone who didn't go through the gifted program to achieve top 10, you basically needed a flawless GPA with 6+ honors/Advanced Placement classes (which were weighted more favorably than normal classes) each year. As I recall, the valedictorian restructured his schedule, moving the non-honors/AP classes like mandatory freshman PE and sophomore health education to senior year so he could stuff his schedule with AP classes in the ninth and tenth grades (as only 9th through 11th affected your ranking for purposes of college admissions).

I was more talented than him--I mean, of course I would say that, but believe me, I really was--but we both "maxed out at the skill cap", so to speak, and what gave him his tiny advantage over me was the fact that he came from the gifted program and his parents pulled strings with the administrators to radically restructure his high school schedule. It was the same for the 2nd-ranked, but slightly less so.

Anyway, the moral of it all was that there are plenty of opportunities to get ahead in life, but most people just don't see them, and autistic, neurotic planning is very useful.

>> No.5170230

>>5170173
>not believing it

homeschooled lolbertarian detected

>> No.5170235

>>5170220
this guy, what are you like, eh?

>> No.5170236

>>5170220
Was this a private school? What kind? It sounds absolutely horrific.

>> No.5170237
File: 35 KB, 412x58, Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 4.49.39 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170185
exactly, now you're getting it.
>>5170177
my actual advice would be to not have any kids if you think that homeschooling is a good idea

>> No.5170241

>>5170205
>not having over a 97 in every subject at all times
I remember I wrote a script to check my grades every 3 minutes and alert me if they were updated, because otherwise I would spend hours in front of the computer refreshing the page every 30 seconds after an exam.

>>5170235
What?

>>5170236
Public with a good reputation. It was one-third Asian (...including myself). It taught me some good lessons, but getting that obsessiveness out of my system has been difficult, to say the least.

>> No.5170246

I will be homeschooling my children. They will be reading Thomas Mann, Musil, Arno Schmidt, Borges, and Bolaño by the time they reach junior high.

>> No.5170247

>>5169473
>after 13 years of doing what they're told public school kids are tough
Pull the other one

>> No.5170260

>>5170241
I'd like to see how you turn out in 10 or so years. You could get a B and commit suicide, become president, or go completely insane. It makes me feel for the loss of humanity in favor of success.

>> No.5170269

>>5168257

Don't do it OP.

It's not about friends. It's also about people he doesn't get along with. People he's going to hate. Bullying, getting bullied. All of that. It often get's a bad label, but it's important for children to learn how to engage socially. Later in his life he will need the ability to make new friends, to face hostility.

Every homeschooled kid I know is somewhat socially reclusive. I'm not talking about extremes like being a shut-in or compeltely socially inept. But there's always something you notice. They take a little longer to warm up to someone, they're always more taken aback when facing adversity.

>> No.5170271

>>5170197
Hard work won't win the valedictorian race in a graduating class of 850 kids. With weighted GPAs, all the smart kids are gonna take the same AP classes, the maximum amount, and get all As in them. By the middle of junior year, there will be about 5 people tied for valedictorian. Hard work won't help you there, especially because (not even stunting here) getting As in 6 or 7 APs in high school isn't even that hard. Busting your ass for a 98 isn't going to give you an advantage over the kids who slack off and coast by on natural talent for a 91 (which to be fair, most people can't do). So you have to do shit like seduce the girl who's tied with you and then break her heart the night before semester exams by sending her a picture of you fucking some other girl, who's also the girlfriend of another kid tied with you, thus killing two birds with one stone and eliminating threats. You get your other friend who's tied for valedictorian, who is also a football player, and you work out with him the summer before 10th grade so he beefs up enough to make varsity and get so caught up in football he stops caring about academics. Being valedictorian isn't even about being smart or studying. It's about manipulation, planning, and being productively neurotic.

>> No.5170279

>>5170086
>drinking crap beer from a solo cup = sophisticated
>drinking Lechthaler Trentino = pleb
Public school did *you* no favors

>> No.5170280

>>5170241
>I remember I wrote a script to check my grades every 3 minutes and alert me if they were updated, because otherwise I would spend hours in front of the computer refreshing the page every 30 seconds after an exam.

you do realize that after around 3.7-3.8, good grades don't really indicate much other than who is more desperate to appear a certain way, right?

>> No.5170282

>>5170246
>since i am a failure, i will live through my children!

luckily you'll never get a gf

>> No.5170288

>>5170271
My school had weighted GPAs, but academic awards and class rankings were done by unweighted GPA right from the start, there wasn't any of this "everyone with over 90% ends up in the same place" crap.

>It's about manipulation, planning, and being productively neurotic.

But yeah, this was me, except I manipulated teachers not other students.

>> No.5170290

>>5170280
Maybe if you want to go to state school.

>> No.5170294

>>5170260
I've already gone insane - I went to university, ended up taking a ton of graduate-level, math-heavy science classes and aced those, but also completely failed some other inane classes that bored me and that I couldn't drop from my schedule out of a total lack of motivation. Now I've changed majors and aspire to be a teacher.

I did have thoughts of suicide after my first college exam, which was in physical chemistry; I think my overall score was something like 85%, and I had panic attacks and stopped going to class out of embarrassment. I've gotten a lot better since, or at least I'm trying to.

>>5170271
I didn't have to do any of that. I spent a lot of time agonizing over my grades and whether or not I was maintaining 97% or above in every class, but relatively little time on actual studying. I didn't win the valedictorian race, but obviously from what I said you just had to be a bit creative with the way in which you approached your scheduling; that Machiavellian tryhard shit sounds comically autistic.

>>5170280
The cutoff is more like 3.9+ for high school. This is objectively true, as my past self determined from hours of reading admissions statistics on CollegeConfidential.

>> No.5170297

>>5170282
How am I a failure? I work from home. However, you are correct: I don't have a girlfriend cause I'm married. Maybe you should stop projecting.

>> No.5170298

>>5170171
You're one if those self-proclaimed geniuses that gets everything backward
-home school = better education
>but my kids won't get bullied! No
-stay at home wife = happier, healthier, less divorce, husband makes more money
>no way! My wife has to work!
-religious = happier, healthier, live longer, kids better off
>but someone might not think I'm above average intelligence. No way!

Yeah, keep worrying about appearances not substance

>> No.5170299

>>5170271
>Being valedictorian isn't even about being smart or studying. It's about manipulation, planning, and being productively neurotic.

right, but why would you want to do this?

>> No.5170303

>>5170297
the fact that you are planning your children's taste in literature makes you seem like a failure, sorry

>> No.5170304

>>5170196
Ever think that maybe they aren't indoctrinated and paranoid?

>> No.5170312

>>5170290
idk, i got into plenty of decent private schools with a 3.75

>> No.5170315

>>5170303
Nope. Conversely, you seem like a massive dullard.

>> No.5170317

>>5170209
Nah, not me
I was football co-captain, honor society, prom committee, yearbook editor - the whole nine yards

>> No.5170318

>>5170294
Wow man. Brutal. It sounds like you've sacrificed social skills, thus your panic attacks, in favor of college success. I hope you succeed, but man I bet you'll have a terrible midlife crisis when you realize you just wasted yours.

>> No.5170323

>>5170299
I was/am a pathetically autistic egocentric narcissist. Being number one as opposed to being number two or three doesn't really matter all that much as far as college admissions go. Looking back, it was stupid. It's the same mentality that goes into stepping on your rival's goggles at a swim meet so they get chlorine in their eyes and flip turn poorly (which I admit I have also done) or putting dead batteries into someone's calculator before the Calculator Applications event at the regional academic meet. That's the kind of shit you learn at public school, is the relevant contribution to the thread. I doubt it helped me too much, though.

>> No.5170326

>>5170148
cr

>> No.5170327

>>5170315
you mean you will feel like a dullard if your kids don't read the books you've convinced yourself are necessary in order to appear "intelligent" or "patrician" or whatever shortsighted, narcissistic goals you've set in advance for them?

>> No.5170328

>>5170237
Man, I miss the smart tripfags so much
You dumb ones suck

>> No.5170334
File: 104 KB, 690x134, Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 3.29.48 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170298
i made a new year's resolution not to associate myself with people whose lives make me sad, so i'm gonna have to let you question your decisions on your own time
>>5170317
i have all of those "achievements" except football and i'm creepy as fuck, so you might want to question your assessment
>>5170328
there have never been any smart trips on /lit/, don't kid yourself

>> No.5170338

>>5170271
Of course the funny thing is that B students work for C students while A students stay in academia because they can't hack the real world

>> No.5170340

>>5170271
>best argument for home school in thus thread

>> No.5170343

>>5170327
Lo and behold, you are absolutely retarded. I'm not surprised.
>actually taking that comment seriously
Control your autism, you insecure pleb.

>> No.5170344

>>5170338
2Chainz was a salutatorian.

>> No.5170350

>>5170343
>lel i was just joking!!

when the ship begins to sink, identity goes first ;)

>> No.5170351

>>5170318
I've been having a 'midlife crisis' for a while now, and it certainly is tough, but it's not as related to my social skills as it is to uncertainty about the future and my career. I've typically thought that graduate school would be my future, but now I'm not so sure--I don't have much of a passion for research, whereas I do have one for education and teaching.

I think my social skills actually turned out alright in the end in some respects; I've asked people for their honest opinions and they've said that I seem fine and am quite conversational, actually. But there could be selection effects at work, and so on and so forth. It's perhaps more that the range of people with whom I'm able to communicate naturally without much stress has been significantly lowered, and while I can talk just fine with the majority of people, it just takes a lot of effort and I simply prefer to not do so.

I dunno so much about my "success" in college anymore. In some respects I've succeeded, but even in academics, as I've said, I've failed in other respects.

>>5170340
I think it's best to homeschool children through the 8th grade and then to send them to an elite high school like Eton or Exeter. I've spoken to some Exeter students and they all say that the experience was uniquely transformative and extremely beneficial. They're filled with bright, intelligent students, with a richer intellectual atmosphere than many universities, and at the same time they don't engender an unhealthy sense of neuroticism or hyper-competition in their students--and the boarding school aspect will help their socialization, I believe.

>> No.5170356

>>5170334
If my life makes you sad you might want to check your priorities

>> No.5170357

>>5170279
>raising classy gentlemen

>> No.5170359
File: 16 KB, 341x327, ebin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170150
hahahaha this reads like it was written by someone who was a lifelong leftist until reading kissenger and brzezinski 2 weeks ago

>> No.5170361

>>5169088

I got pulled out of highschool so my family could follow my dad around as he worked, instead of him being gone for months at a time while we stayed in one place.

I spent a good chunk of time living in various hotels, many of them quite nice, and a travel trailer in a warehouse parking lot that we called 'home.' The trailer was decades old and inherited from my great grandmother. It was uncomfortably small. My parents slept on a queen-sized bed and, five feet away, my brother and I slept side-by-side on the fold-down table/bed. We had a membership at a full-service gym that we essentially used as a nicer bathroom, kitchen, and sitting area. My only contact with non-contracted workers was through World of Warcraft and various Internet forums. I developed serious issues being in public and dealing with people my age. I would get panic attacks in situations dealing with either. I also developed issues with voyeurism. I guess being locked in such close proximity with people who were fucking (of course not with us in the room) while my hormones were raging, and having no outlet in the form of dates and crushes and masturbation (I showered in public, shit in a portable toilet, and slept next to my brother) drove me to dangerous levels. I would ALWAYS rummage through underwear drawers and closets when we visited friends and family.

All the while, I learned nearly nothing. I was GT straight A bullshit in school and had never been challenged. I didn't know how to challenge myself. My parents just considered me smart enough and never pushed me to do actual work. I still don't know the laws, but the states of Texas and Louisiana seemed to have nothing to say about it. It hasn't affected me academically to this day but my brother, who already struggled in school, keeps going to community college and keeps getting kicked out on academic probation.

>> No.5170370

>>5170361
This is just the first few years, it changes a few more times.

>> No.5170371

>>5170351
Good to hear. All the best. I wish I had your drive. I'm too lazy.

>> No.5170373
File: 182 KB, 900x1005, sade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5168161
Have them read Sade to compensate for being sheltered.

>> No.5170374

>>5170344
Lol
Look up 'Lucian Grange' and get back to me, ok?

>> No.5170377

>>5170371
Thank you for reading my cathartic ranting. I'm lazy, too. We're both posting on /lit/ after all :^)

>> No.5170378

>>5170351
My 15-16 year olds are in college or starting careers

>> No.5170383

>>5170350
Nope,
Nice try, prole.

>> No.5170403

>>5170359
>ideology
>ever

>> No.5170407

>>5170378
I would rather have my children attend Exeter/Eton/etc. than go to college or start their careers early. Every single graduate of Exeter I've talked to has said that they value their time at Exeter more than their time at Harvard/Stanford/MIT/whatever high-ranked university they attended. (Also, homeschooled children will probably not be going to one of the top universities unless they're exceptionally talented--there is a significant and well-documented bias against homeschooled children in undergraduate admissions.) Going through life 'fast' is pointless if the quality of the experience is low.

>> No.5170413

>>5168271
Homeschooling sounds more natural and public school sounds more like getting you ready for reality.

>> No.5170414

You have to realize that after about 13 your childhood is no longer simply formative. That IS life. High school is for going out and fucking bitches and making taco runs at night and hitting up parties and doing stupid shit at Walmart and camwhoring and juggling multiple relationships and drinking and doing drugs. It's also for learning. But "living life" doesn't start in your 20s.

>> No.5170419
File: 8 KB, 269x187, laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What is the point of being high school valedictorian when there are literally thousands of US valedictorians who don't get into HYP? HYP are admitting ~5k freshman total this year. There are 35,000 high schools in the US. How many valedictorians is that?

Most of those admitted to these schools are coming from elite private schools rather and have top-tier connections. They're not 10 AP course fils de rien valedictorians from some faggy upper middle class public high school.

When you talk about this realpolitik valedictorian stuff, you're realistically talking about screwing another 115 IQ middle class striver so that you can go to some bullshit school like Tufts, which is hilarious

>> No.5170426

>>5170419
>tfw Princeton traditionally accepts two and only two students from my high school every year and has done so for time immemorial
>tfw I was the third ranked and the first and second ranked got in through family connections

>> No.5170432

>>5170419
I didn't give a fuck about getting into college. I just genuinely enjoy competing and fucking people over. My parents didn't have the money to send me to private school. I just enjoyed myself. I also went out with friends and had sex and dated people and went to football games and just did teenager stuff. You're all going to realize that your linear life of grades+activities followed by elite college leading to elite professional school leading to elite jobs is a waste of time. Some rich asshole is just going to get in on connections and family donations alone. If you aren't having genuine prime-of-your-life fun in school, you're doing it wrong. Life doesn't begin in college, or after college, or after professional school, or after anything. Once you're old enough to go have fun, you need to.

>> No.5170441

>>5170426
>family connections
>ranked higher than you
OHkay m8

>> No.5170454

>>5170432
>man i didn't want to be elite anyway yolo

>> No.5170455

>>5170441
They had older siblings at Princeton (which is known to be an important factor) along with some rather extreme family circumstances (they were really poor). One of them had stronger extracurriculars and deserved to get in; the other had a shit-tier application aside from his ranking/grades, and pretty much all serious applicants to Princeton are top5/4.0 or close; it's not really like they distinguish between the 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th ranked etc. from what they know is a competitive school.

I mean, maybe I'm just rationalizing it to myself, and maybe I'm still slightly bitter about it, but I like to think that I'm self-aware enough to not be entirely irrational about this. But it's all in the past anyway.

>> No.5170465

>>5170454
Man what else could I have done? I was number one in the class, an athlete, I did a shitload of activities, I was treasurer of a couple big honor societies, and I did volunteer work. Not my fault I couldn't afford private school. I'm just saying fuck everyone who thinks academic success and having a good time are mutually exclusive. It's a false dichotomy. You can be valedictorian of a big high school, get into a great college on a scholarship, and still get laid after class and go out on the weekends.

>> No.5170475

>>5170465
Nobody is saying that academic success and fun are exclusive. I think everyone is just contemptuous of your idea of 'fun'.

>> No.5170479

>>5170432
>just do drugs man
>I suck dick for mine

>> No.5170485

do any of you actually enjoy learning or are you all college confidential tier sociopaths?

>> No.5170487

>>5170479
>2014
>not sucking dick for crack
we have a square here

>> No.5170488

>>5170465
Well, to return to the original discussion, another good argument for homeschooling your kids is to avoid sending your children into environment where the most successful and well-adjusted students are neurotic future-WUSTL-alumni strivers who "genuinely enjoy" "fucking people over" despite knowing that doing so will over them no competitive advantage in gaining admissions to actual elite-level schools

>> No.5170493

Wait, I thought degeneracy was an ironic /pol/ meme. We all agree that traditionalism is laughable and there's no such thing as degeneracy, right?

>> No.5170495

>>5170488
That's precisely why I'm in support of what I said earlier, homeschooling through the 8th grade and then private school.

>>5170485
Took me a while, but I do actually enjoy learning now.

>> No.5170497
File: 1.89 MB, 245x320, 1405785633573.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread

>> No.5170502

>>5170485
Both. I use school for competing and getting ahead. I learn independently. Academics isn't about learning.

>> No.5170504

>>5170485
bro that site is hilarious those kids are so fucked up

>> No.5170506

>>5170493
i don't even fucking know anymore, m8.

wake me up when the kali yuga is over

>> No.5170524

>>5170485
i ain't tryna let schooling mess with my education - mark twain

>> No.5170533

>>5170493
nah bro, virtue is worth pursuing.

I find it kind of funny actually that rich white elites push degeneracy of all kinds on society as whole but usually lead fairly straight-edge lifestyles themselves.

>> No.5170541

>>5170533
>rich white elites push degeneracy
lol no. you ask for it, and rich white elites give it to you.
>usually lead fairly straight edge lifestyles themselves
don't they sacrifice children to owl statues or some shit or do you not believe that part of the conspiracy

>> No.5170548
File: 33 KB, 249x286, george.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170533
>rich white elites
>straight edge

>> No.5170551

>>5170541
>lol no. you ask for it, and rich white elites give it to you.

nah, this kind of stuff always originates with rich white campus radicals at Berkeley and other schools. the elite universities 40 years ago are what society looks like today, that's the way it's been for probably ~100 years now.

>don't they sacrifice children to owl statues or some shit or do you not believe that part of the conspiracy

bro have you seen Alex Jones' Bohemian Grove footage? that shit is whack.

>> No.5170552

>>5170533
But what is virtue? I mean, if I'm disease free in the end, how is having sex with 60 women less "virtuous" than celibacy? How is going out for a good time with friends a couple times a week less virtuous than staying in to post on 4chan? I'm not some kind of edgy "fuck morality" fedora kid, but if I don't hurt anyone and lead a generally moral life, complete with charity work and loyalty to friends and family, what's the moral downside to partying?

>> No.5170560

>>5170552
bro nobody cares about you fucking a girl. try thinking about ethics beyond your dick. not to be dismissive

>> No.5170564

>>5170552
bro sexual promiscuity is not virtuous at all, practice abstinence and mastery of the self.

>> No.5170571

>>5170552
bro fucking bitches is a masculine virtue practice that shit

>> No.5170575

>>5170560
He implied regular controlled bursts of hedonism are in any way immoral. Degeneracy is not real. Killing and stealing and cheating on your partner and fucking people over and hitting people and raping people and being mean for no reason and being greedy are bad things. But being gay or lewd or a porn enthusiast or a promiscuous single woman isn't in any way bad.

>> No.5170583

>>5170575
how can people have discussions like this without killing themselves out of boredom

>> No.5170586

Some people think it's bad to make sex on a girl, but i think it's good, especially if you are careful and nice. Let me elaborate

>> No.5170587

>>5170575
>But being gay or lewd or a porn enthusiast or a promiscuous single woman isn't in any way bad.

oh bro it is sad that you think this. don't believe the lies of the kali yuga yesmen, all those things are extremely toxic and unvirtuous.

>> No.5170602

>>5170586
brah after five sexual partners a woman begins to lose her ability to pairbond and thus to maintain a stable and virtuous marriage, household, and family. refrain from sex outside of wedlock brah.

>> No.5170605

>>5170602
>2014
>marriage as a straight person

>> No.5170608

>>5170575
sister fucking men ain't a sin

>> No.5170609

>>5170602
This is written in a not-entirely-serious manner, but I believe I've actually seen some published research that supports this assertion (or one very similar to it).

>> No.5170610

>>5170602
What? That sounds ridiculous. Got any sort of evidence to back up your claim?

>> No.5170619

>>5170610
>that nervousness when you been dedicated years to a ho

>> No.5170621

>>5170610
Look it up, I don't feel like hunting for the citation but I'm sure some appropriate combination of Google keywords will bring up relevant studies.

>> No.5170628
File: 33 KB, 385x400, teachman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5170610
kek

I guess the Christians were right after all.

>> No.5170637

>>5170628
This has more to do with the fact that the only people who are virgins until marriage are super religious and those same religions are against divorce. These might be horrible marriages anyway.

>> No.5170639

>>5170637

Can you edge more?

>> No.5170643

>>5170628
couldn't it be that people that are stupid enough to not have sex before marriage are also the same people who are dumb enough to stay in a marriage even if it sucks?

"Nah man, it's all about imprinting"

Ps. virgins are some of the most godawful fucks I had in my life. The best girls were those who had a couple of relationship already and knew what worked for them what they wanted and how to get it.

>> No.5170645

>>5170628
But why do they stay? Unhappy marriages are common. "I hate my husband." You hear that a lot.

>> No.5170648

>>5170639
Is not edge, it's the most rational hypothesis of the results.
Unless you think that giving the D to adults magically changes their whole personality and ability to bond.

>> No.5170651

>>5170639
Is 4chan so afraid of the fedora meme that any opinion contrary to strict puritanism is considered tipping material?

>> No.5170654

>>5170645
Because probably they live in shame based small communities and think that if they break the marriage they will lose face and they will become social outcasts or estranged from their family.

>> No.5170668

I'm so thankful that I went to a public school. I would grown into an even bigger aspie if I wasn't forced to communicate with other people for 8 hours a day. I played baseball and soccer when I was little but ended up quitting when I was bad and discovered video games.

Then I became that socially awkward kid sitting in the back of classes. Fortunately my video games led me to GameFAQs, which led me to /v/, which led me to /fa/ and /fit/ which started my self improvement journey. I guess everything happens for a reason.

I'm getting off topic but the point is that some people were lazy as kids, and public school was their only chance of interacting with anyone.

You can't assume your kid would have the same mindset while he's 10 as you do when you're 20, 30, or whatever.

>> No.5170669

>>5170651
Also it's funny because strict puritanism and "my pure virgin waifu" and "women are all sluts, they are disgusting" are staple principles of fedora-core.

To be able to accept women's social freedom means that you already have a health relationship with the

>> No.5170674

>>5170639
It's rather sensible. The divorce rate was very low two centuries ago, didn't mean that everyone had a good spousal relationship. That chart doesn't take into account the people staying together for decades while not being married (harder to account for that, I admit, but that doesn't change the point). Nor does it allows to say wether people who are more inclined to have many relationship are more inclined to divorce or if people become more inclined to divorce because of many relationship.

>> No.5170684

>>5170637
Seems reasonable that it just has to do with the fact that promiscuous people aren't very compatible with life long commitments.

>> No.5170688

>>5170465
Bullshit
You get into a top school and can't afford it?
They pay for it
Anyone really at that level would know that

>> No.5170690

>>5170488
Yup

>> No.5170691

>>5170637
It takes a religious person in the first place to think true monogamy is a natural and normal thing, since there are no good reasons outside of religion to make this assumption.

>> No.5170693

>>5170493
Go back to /b/, pleb>>5170502
>academics isn't about le

>> No.5170697

>>5170502
>academics isn't about learning
Ladies and gentlemen, public school in one sentence

>> No.5170702

>>5170688
I mean they couldn't afford to send me to a private high school. I'm at private college right now.

>> No.5170703

>>5170637
>>5170643
>>5170645
>>5170648
>>5170669
>>5170674
Here's the study.

http://socialpathology.blogspot.ca/2010/09/sexual-partner-divorce-risk.html

>The results presented in this article replicate findings from previous research: Women who cohabit prior to marriage or who have premarital sex have an increased likelihood of marital disruption. Considering the joint effects of premarital cohabitation and premarital sex, as well as histories of premarital relationships, extends previous research. The most salient finding from this analysis is that women whose intimate premarital relationships are limited to their husbands—either premarital sex alone or premarital cohabitation—do not experience an increased risk of divorce. It is only women who have more than one intimate premarital relationship who have an elevated risk of marital disruption. This effect is strongest for women who have multiple premarital coresidental unions. These findings are consistent with the notion that premarital sex and cohabitation have become part of the normal courtship pattern in the United States. They do not indicate selectivity on characteristics linked to the risk of divorce and do not provide couples with experiences that lessen the stability of marriage.

>Executive summary: It's not the liberal values, it's the number of partners that matter.

>>5170691
Whether something is "natural and normal" has nothing to do with whether it is good, virtuous, or morally correct.

>> No.5170707

>>5170684
That is not necessarily true.
My own experience is that intelligent people are both promiscuous and capable of committing: that's because they know what they want and they don't want to make their life exceedingly complicated. So they commit only when they care and they have are promiscuous when they want to have fun.

Stupid people on the other hand get married to the first random person because they think that "it's the thing to do" then after a couple of years they understand that it was a mistake, then they start to cheat, then they get a divorce, then they feel so bad that they are ready to get married again with the first woman who is available and refresh.

>> No.5170709

>>5170552
Your lack of virtue harms you

>> No.5170712

>>5170575
>degeneracy is not real
Keep telling yourself that, loser

>> No.5170714

>>5170703
>Whether something is "natural and normal" has nothing to do with whether it is good, virtuous, or morally correct.
I agree, but considering monogamy good is mostly a religious thing. Just like considering masturbation bad. You have to have grave, serious reasons to go to the degree that you try to fight your repeating, natural impulses. It requires a sacrifice and there needs great justifications to be adhered to.

>> No.5170716

>>5170703
The study is fine. Your conclusion that it indicates causation is silly. It's a classic case of the fallacy of ignoring the middle cause. Perhaps there is a middle cause that is both anti-divorce and anti-premarital sex. You guessed it, it's religious fundamentalism. Since very few people who aren't religious wait until marriage for sex, it makes sense that these same traditionalist religious beliefs would dissuade them from divorce.

>> No.5170717

>>5170703
hahahahaha

So does this mean slut-shaming is healthy for society as a whole in that it selects for stable family units and lower rates of single motherhood? Mind = blown, feminists BTFO.

>> No.5170726

>>5170703
I'd be interested in reading findings on men.

>> No.5170728

>>5170712
>I'm not a sad kissless virgin, I'm just a pure strong Christian male. These normalfag Chad scum are just degenerates and will surely suffer for their wretched immorality. I am the supreme gentleman

>> No.5170729

>>5170602
People don't know this?
The Princeton study was all over the news!

>> No.5170731

>>5170716
>it makes sense that these same traditionalist religious beliefs would dissuade them from divorce.

OK, look, that's not how science works.

To dismiss the results of this study you have to actually provide some data of your own to back up your hypothesis.

Saying "it makes sense" is not good enough.

>> No.5170732

>>5170731
Assuming that correlation and causation are the same thing isn't how science works either.

>> No.5170734

>>5170707
Intelligent people are a minority though.

>> No.5170735

>>5170729
Do you have a link to the study? I can only find stuff about prairie voles on google scholar.

>> No.5170737

>>5170703
Why did they just do the study on women? I feel like it would be pretty easy to do a more comprehensive study. What's the significance of gender in all of this?

>> No.5170739

>>5170643
Nope
True for atheists, too

>> No.5170741

>>5170726
>>5170737
>stop giving me one star reviews boys

lmao

>> No.5170747

>>5170741
No, I mean this sincerely, why did they just do the study on women? It would be much more insightful if they had data on men, too.

>> No.5170750

>>5168180

What the fuck. Hahahaha.

Someone actually made a comic of that old pic of retard kids?

Moar!

>> No.5170751

>>5170716
So, you didn't read the study?
Typical

>> No.5170753

>>5170732
Yes, but the author didn't do that.

Also, from the abstract:

> I find that premarital sex or premarital cohabitation that is limited to a woman's husband is not associated with an elevated risk of marital disruption.

So that kind of blows your "religious fundamentalist" argument out of the water huh? Fundies aren't having sex with their fiances before marriage.

>> No.5170756

>>5170747
Probably because the vast majority of divorces are instigated by women.

>> No.5170758

>>5170753
I didn't say the study was sexist. I said the Anon on here is.

>> No.5170759

>>5170726
Men need to be at 13+ partners to really make a difference

>> No.5170763

>>5170747
I assume it's because 1) women initiate the vast majority of divorces and 2) the study was in part building on previous research which had shown the same trend, so it focused on women just like that research did.

>> No.5170767

>>5168286
>>5168291
>>5168681
>>5170413

Precisely the sort pop psychology nonsense people pander to when they have arguments. The reality, man. He must get ready for reaaaality.

>> No.5170769

>>5170728
Listen, pal, I'm the guy with 6 kids, a SAHW, a six figure job, a wife who went to a Seven Sister, and a closet full of medals from combat

>> No.5170773

>>5170732
Correlation is still there!
Not knowing causation doesn't eliminate correlation

>> No.5170777

>>5170747
It was on both but the numbers for men were, well - neutral

>> No.5170801

>>5170767
Now this is a true argument.