[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 974 KB, 2222x2212, bible.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5140939 No.5140939 [Reply] [Original]

Does it bother you that some messages in the bible may be 'tainted' or altered completely by translations? How do people deal with this? I'm not even autistic but if I were a christian, I would be constantly paranoid as to whether or not what I was the reading was the original, untampered version.

>> No.5140956

I only pay attention to the words in red, in the second part The rest is....well, it's interesting and there are lessons there, but I think of it more as a sort of history that has been run through the mill of mens minds.

>> No.5140960

Translation errors are irrelevant. It's a collection of fairy tales. For fucks sake, grow up.

>> No.5140971

The Bible is the word of God (not the Word of God, of course, that's Jesus). God has overseen its creation and transmission throughout history.

Any translation 'error' is not, in fact, truly an error, but a divine intervention meant to subtly alter the meaning of the text based on what God wishes to convey to the readers of the Bible in that particular language, at that particular time, in that particular place.

Duh.

>> No.5140976

I was thinking about this recently, especially how the word "Lord" is used, and how it has connotations specific to the language. or are you asking about whether translations are faithful or not?

>> No.5140978

>>5140971
That's an interesting perspective. Do you consider yourself christian?

>> No.5140983

>>5140960
Do you have a license for all that edge?

>> No.5141004

>>5140976
Yeah, I'm talking about whether or not the translations are faithful. For example over time something like (completely made up by the way.):

'Men should rule over sheep'
>this changes to
'Men should rule sheep'
>to
'Men should protect sheep'

This is probably a shit way to convey my ideas but I hope you got the message.

>> No.5141012

>>5141004
fug, change
>men should rule sheep
to
>men should lead sheep.

>> No.5141035

The answer is to not interpret it literally, which only retards do anyway. So it's not really a concern.

>> No.5141049

Forget mistranslations.

The original copies are gone and we'll never know how different they were from what we have now.

>> No.5141055

Taint. Lol.

>> No.5141066

>>5140971
This.
He's killed people for lesser shit. I highly doubt he'd have his divinely inspired word tampered with.

>> No.5141138

>>5141066
>>5140971
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

According to your theory this means that all the miracles and divine intervention in the bible were bullshit that didn't actually happen, and that there are no angels, prophecies, devil, heaven or hell, and Jesus was just a man who didn't resurrect after dying.

>> No.5141188

>>5141138
I don't quite see how that follows from the hypothesis expressed. The Jefferson Bible was for Jefferson's own personal use. If I was to be so bold as to hazard a guess at God's intentions, I might say that God allowed its creation to specifically and pointedly effect Thomas Jefferson's salvation. It's not a Bible meant for the broader public, just for TJ. If he in his deistic inclinations couldn't stomach the thought of Christ as the man-god, he could do without it, at least for a time. All that mattered was the ultimate state of Jefferson's soul in relation to Christ, a state that none of us can know, that no one in any realm can know except for Christ himself.

>> No.5141222

>>5141188
But he's killed people for lesser shit bro.

>> No.5141231

>>5140939
With the manuscript evidence available, along with all the commentary over centuries, variations in Bible translation don't form the basis of any misunderstanding. Also, any obscure/ambiguous passages (none of which, again, are related to major doctrinal issues) can be explained in the context of clearer and more significant passages.

>> No.5141253

>>5141222
God tends to only kill people that mess with his chosen people, whether that be Israel (usually) or nowadays Christendom more broadly, but also Israel still.

>> No.5141282

>>5141188
If Jefferson can edit the Bible as he wishes to suit his beliefs without it being God's will why couldn't the thousands of years worth of people who came before him?