[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 318x475, 39058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5106222 No.5106222 [Reply] [Original]

Steerpike appreciation thread

>you will never a ruthless social climber
>you will never seduce a retarded princess
>you will never be piebald

>> No.5106240

>retarded princess
How you feel when Peake made your equivalent die?

Beautiful novel, though. I still imagine, or at least try to, all the little corners, hovels, concaves, streets and lanes and so many others things, each one of them turned into magnificent embodiments of Peake's descriptive prose.

>> No.5106253

>>5106240
I thought the BBC series did a wonderful job at it

>> No.5106419

>>5106253
Except for the cheap cgi, and the at times hysterical acting.

Also, Steerpike is an allround asshole. A perfect rolemodel for stirnerfags.

Love the books though. They are among the few I can keep revisiting and still feel the same awe and wonder.

>> No.5108081

>>5106419
Yeah Steerpike knows no spooks thats for sure

>> No.5108299

>>5106419
Everyone treated Steerpike like shit, why was he an asshole?

>> No.5109485

>>5108299
Steerpike treats everyone as a mean to his own ends, to an extend where he doesn't shun murdering people. By my definitions, that makes him not only a prototype egoist, but an immense asshole.

It is true that none of the other characters posses any redeeming qualities (except for the doc maybe), and following Steerpike's cynical exploits is morbidly entertaining. But It's exactly this streak of dark sarcasm that makes the book worth reading - as opposed to the mad ramblings of Rand for example. Steerpike is just as tragic and ridiculous as the rest of the characters.

>> No.5109560

>>5109485
I think Peake did a good job depicting physiological turns of each character in the measure of the plot. As in Steerpike, for example, who's eyes opened at the city beneath the rooftop, something in the sense of revelation seemed to have occurred in him. Formerly being pushed and pulled around and trying to survive in the inner dwellings, now he saw the outer constructs and mechanisms of Gormenghast, so his need to prevail, get a better position for himself, got out from the grip of manipulating, abusing Swelter to the ground where he could himself take such role in revenge by abusing the information he just received.

>> No.5110937

bump

>> No.5111129

>tfw not an ambitious genius.

I don't want to be a sociopath.

I trip on /r9k/ using Titus' name.

I need to get my hands on Titus Awakes. Anyone got an ebook?

>>5109485
I thought Flay was pretty gud, and I get immense satisfaction tacking "/lit/" above Sepulchrave's head.

>> No.5111143

>>5111129
>/r9k/
Titus Foreveralone?

>> No.5111147

>>5111143
Surprisingly, I have gf. I don't know why I still go there.

>> No.5111165

>>5111129
Flay is Spiderbro of Ghormenghast. He'll do anything within his might to enforce tradition and prevailing power structures. But his motives are no nobler than that. He takes no liking to anything living. The damp stone walls and the shadows are his friends. But yes- he has some great almost heroic moments.

I never heard of 'Titus Awakes'... Tell me more

>> No.5111175

>>5111129
My huge collection of all three books has Titus Awakes. It's not a proper book, it's the patched-together pages and paragraphs Peake had finished before he died, barely five pages long.

>> No.5111302

>>5111165
Titus Awakes is Peake's wife's attempt at continuing what was not meant to be a trilogy using only his notes. It's more of a labor of love, but I've never loved a set of characters and a place more than those of Gormenghast, so I must find a copy somewhere.

>> No.5111335

>>5111147
Me neither. It's like the Male Hite Report + Ann Landers.

It's weird how what in theory would be /b/ 2.0 just turned into nothing but >tfw no gf.

>> No.5111341

>>5111335
It didn't turn that way overnight. I mean, it was a gradual process. It was a really good board for the first, like... 6 months it was in existence. But then there started to be a few more things about loneliness and no gf, and then a few more, and then more, and then people who didn't care about that started leaving, and that's how you eventually end up here.

>> No.5111392

>>5111302
You can get it on #bookz (Read the sticky) in epub. Conversion to pdf is trivial.