[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 460x276, 460Grigori-Perelman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5094679 No.5094679[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is to mention flu vaccines.

>> No.5094682

I challenge everyone who says they're religious to go their entire life without medical assistance.

>> No.5094684

>>5094682
Medicine was part of Gods plan.

>> No.5094686

>>5094682
Why would I? Medicine are not heretical.

>> No.5094687

>>5094679
>the quickest way to disprove religion
Logic
"Absence of evidence is evidence of absence"

>> No.5094688

>god's immune system
>god's reason
>god's constantly shifting disease

>> No.5094701

>>5094687
empiricism makes me sick.

>> No.5094706

If there is a God he has no obligation to help humans at all. As far as he is concerned we could be less than ants in comparison. Do you care about preventing pain to ants? Then stop being a dumb hypocrite. The problem of evil is completely meaningless, we could be left on our devices and I'd still praise God for giving me this life if I was certain he was there.

>> No.5094717

>>5094701
>empiricism
I hope you know what that means because that doesn't work in the favor of believers nor non-believers.

But I'm sure religious people will give us nice insights on how god is too sophisticated for us to understand, which was the reason of gods in the start, fear.

>> No.5094720

>>5094706
The problem of evil and the ant analogy only matter if you are talking about an all loving God. So if you are trying to explain this to a person who believes in an all loving God, your argument won't mean much. They may try to look at the evil as his love.

If he isn't all loving, then I would agree. He would have no obligations. But not everyone shares that view.

>> No.5094725

>>5094682
Because it's not like religious people weren't the pioneers of medicine - oh fucking wait.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_medicine
The Islamics believed that if Allah gave them illness, he would have a cure.
Shit like this is why people think die-hard atheists are even more retarded than religious people.

>> No.5094728

>>5094725
Sure explains the dark ages, amirite?

>> No.5094730

>>5094720
He doesn't have to be all loving to be a pretty good guy
If he doesn't send me to post death trials we're good

>> No.5094747
File: 44 KB, 500x539, this is what retards actually believe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5094728
Dark ages were a result of political, illness, and economic destruction. AGAIN, you show a complete lack of historical knowledge and seem to have gotten your information from pic related. After the Roman empire collapsed, the entirety of europe was in shambles because they had no government.

>> No.5094762

>>5094747
I know how the dark ages began. I am talking about the black plague and everything that was happening while it was at full force.

But it would be fallacious of me if I took it as an example of what would be. What really boggles me is all the deaths and tortures religion brought upon us.
You don't think that modern medicine had religious insights even though being superior to mudslime medicine?
Religions killed more than saved.

>> No.5094777

>>5094762
>Religions killed more than saved.
You've been reading too many Hitchens books.
The black plague was a result of general uncleanliness and rodents. And this 'everything else' is so impossibly vague that all you're doing is revealing you're own ignorance. The Dark Ages weren't even that dark. Most scholars refer to them as the middle ages now because they weren't as bad as people believe. At best there was a slight dip because of the collapse of the Roman Empire. And guess fucking what? Christianity helped the spread of general welfare and charities. Did some people get burned at the stake? Sure. But some doctors thought it was a good idea to cut peoples arms off without cleaning their knives first, you're not gonna chastise them are you? Religious scholars were the very people trying to save others and information. They painstakingly wrote down book after book trying to save information. I'm not trying to paint this with some rose coloured glasses, but what you just said is so blatantly wrong it makes me cringe. this is why I can't take anti-theists seriously. They'll cherry pick more than the most die hard young earth biblical literalist

>> No.5094788

>>5094762
>What really boggles me is all the deaths and tortures religion brought upon us.
>Religions killed more than saved.

People say shit like this a lot. Never once have I seen somebody actually weigh the 'good' and the 'bad' attributable to religion. Or even explain how such an analysis could be possible.

>> No.5094796

>>5094788
because it created unity among frightened and unenlightened people and that's somehow bad

>> No.5094798

>>5094679
It's the left that opposes vaccination, though.

>> No.5094803

>>5094747
what the hell happened in may 2009?

>> No.5095006

>>5094687
thats epistemology, not logic, though

>> No.5095022

>>5094679

I think that god really wanted me to get the flu oh god what can i do i have no free will

>> No.5095023

>>5094796
> frightened and unenlightened
average member of clergy was more educated than a modern american nowadays in terms of years of schooling

church wasn't some luddite school where they prayed 24/7, its just that their philosophical and scientific methods differed a lot from ours because they rejected pure empiricism, focused a lot more on deriving new information from old works and had limited amount of that old knowledge available (even Aristotle wasn't translated into Latin until 12th century, and that was translated from Arabic translations by Averroes which he made out of Syrian translations).

>> No.5095039

>>5094777
no, the dark ages were very dark. yes, great achievements were made in politics, religion and art but not enough to outweigh the violence and disarray of the era.

you are correct in saying that it is referred to the middle ages, or more specifically the early middle ages, but i cannot agree with you that christianity had any drive towards helping the welfare of the people in regards to medical needs. the church definitely combatted poverty and aided spiritual well-being but it did so little in the field of medicine UNTIL it was rediscovered by them from the muslims. i will say that there were probably a few monasteries out there during the early middle ages that were knowledgeable of medicine but no where near the level or numbers of muslims or the far east.