[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 200x300, stranger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5092417 No.5092417[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Forgive me if this is the wrong board, but I don't really know where else to look. I am currently writing a story for what is essentially my own benefits. I was wondering if there was a place to have it read, and tell me where and how it's shit, so I can improve. Can anyone tell me where to look for this?

And I apologise for the off topic picture. I just needed one to start this thread

>> No.5092424

deviantART and friends you trust are about the best bets you have

>> No.5092426

>>5092424
I want an honest opinion, though. Not someone to molly coddle. I'd rather have a completely neutral person to me tell me exactly where it fails. Thank you for the advice though

>> No.5092453

I don't even have to read it.

Here: Your prose is at times comically stilted, but at other times your less than adequate vocabulary will shine bright enough to blind me, so I have to set your book down for a moment, which is generally a bad thing for a book to do.

You've obviously not taken your thoughts far enough into their logical conclusions. You should really push yourself much further with them, but by that I mean keep writing, but do MUCH more rewriting. In a few years you might have something worth reading, but right now it's juvenile and blatantly amatuer.

>> No.5092599

>>5092453
I hate you so much for how adequate a critique this is. But I'll take it and try and rework what I have written.

>> No.5092609

>>5092426
No such thing as completely neutral. Your response to their feedback will also never be neutral. You need to learn to filter out what advice is relevant and what isn't, no matter who it is. There will always be something to take away when someone gives you feedback no matter how extreme. You just need to figure out how to adjust that feedback to a realistic/neutral level.

>> No.5092633

>>5092609
You're right, I guess I phrased it wrong. I guess what I really meant is an honest critique. I want someplace where I could get a fair amount of honest criticism. such as >>5092453
I just want to turn a story into something someone could possibly want to read. And that's what I'm looking for, a group of people to give me criticism, good or bad, to help me be less horrible

>> No.5092664

>>5092599
It's cool, bro. I'm a professional guy who generalizes too much.

>> No.5092721

>>5092664
Mind if I ask you then, how do you use synonyms? I try very hard to keep them as something a normal person would say. But pages later it still feels to me like I am overusing words. Or I am just hammering out thesaurus words. It becomes kind of tiresome, you can't call something purple so many times without it feeling forced, and you can't call it amaranthine without it feeling forced.?

>> No.5092817

>>5092417
Oh! I just saw a pretty good one:
Scribophile lets people vote critiques of your work up and down, so you have some idea of which critiques seem valid to the most people without them having to type out whether they agree or disagree with previous comments. I think it could be a good way to vet out helpful advice from malice or trolling.
http://www.scribophile.com/

>> No.5092867

>>5092721
Dude, download writemonkey and try to only reuse a word every hour of reading time or so.

>> No.5092886

>>5092721
>you can't call something purple so many times
Then don't do that. Once the reader has a picture of whatever you're describing, it'll stick with them. No need to describe that thing twice if you make the description memorable the first time through.

>> No.5092945

>>5092417
I'll have a look for you anon, I might be able to help. Email me what you have.

>> No.5092981

>>5092417
AllPoetry.com is good for poems. For general writing, Google told me that CritiqueCircle.com should interest you.

>> No.5093246

>>5092945
Sent over, I very much appreciate the help. And thank you, other anons for the feedback. Even if I get a wholly negative response, I just want to get this out of my head and into words.