[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 53 KB, 378x226, gauld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
507881 No.507881 [Reply] [Original]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SciFiGhetto

What's your opinion on this matter, /lit/?

>> No.507898

[OP samefagging here, sorry]

I think it should be acknowledged that, generally speaking, science fiction focuses more on ideas usually as an answer to various "what if" questions, while "proper literature" focuses on characters and whatnot. However, this does not mean we can't have science fiction without good characters.

>> No.507912

I write genre fiction in a school that thinks genre fiction is shit. All of my teachers request literary fiction when issuing out assignments. I guess on most levels I understand. So I write them literary fiction. It gets work-shopped, often with pretty good reviews. I generally like literary fiction and all, but it isn't my cup of tea as far as writing. That is why many times, when people come up to my and tell me they like my writing, and ask me if I am doing anything new, they are shocked to find I write genre fiction.

Usually they exclaim "You write genre fiction!? But you are a good writer!" as if only shit-writers write genre fiction. It's frustrating. It's not like genre fiction has nothing to say socially. It's not like there are not layers and hidden meaning in genre fiction. Generally I find I like genre fiction more because it isn't so serious all the bloody time. Jesus, I mean, people should be allowed to laugh sometimes. (not saying there has never been funny literary fiction)

I just hear so much shit talked about genre fiction and I often find myself reminding people that 99 out of 100 of them got into reading because of CS Lewis or Tolkien or who-the-fuck-ever wrote that unicorn book they loved so much.

>> No.507947

alas, it's true. Genre fiction generally gets overlooked by the mainstream pricks.

but hey, who gives a damn. Quite a bit of genre fiction really is crap

>> No.507958
File: 72 KB, 500x762, 039189-FC50.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm glad some authors choose to embrace genre fiction.

Pic related. Love this guy.

>> No.507992

>>507958
Hmm, I started reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and couldn't get through it. Eventually pawned it off. But the idea stuck, and it keep nagging at the back of my mind. I'm meaning to get back at it, one of these days, now I've developed a bit more (I'd read nothing but weak-minded shit for two year when I picked it up).

Anyway, yeah, I'm experiencing the presence of the ghetto very much. I'm an avid reader of sci-fi, and I can't but help notice whenever something that would, if it were crap, be considered sci-fi (The Road, I'm looking at you) but isn't. A few weeks ago, this resulted in me taking a novel from English Literature and putting it in the sci-fi section of the store. I should do that more often.

>> No.508004

>>507992

That's a shame. Once you get past the very slow and dull opening of Yiddish, it's quite engrossing. If you like noir tales like The Big Sleep, it's essentially the style of text it turns into.

>> No.508029

Modern-classicsfag here; OP makes me sad because I do enjoy good science fiction. In turn, it depresses me even more than most of the very recent sci-fi in all mediums has sucked.

>> No.508049

It's been a while since a truly "good" scifi novel has been published. I enjoy Neal Stephenson, but I really wish he didn't rush and pretty much tap out with his endings.

>> No.508095

>>508004
One of these days, my friend.

>>508029
>>508049
Indeed. A while ago I thought I had found someone who was producing good stuff, going by the word of mouth. Then I started reading one of his books, and I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that I hated the everlasting shit out of it. Even more of a crapcake seeing how everyone on /lit/ seems to love the man.

All in all, it's very hard to find anything in spec-fic that really makes you think, these days. Finished Stone a week and a half ago, and it did a decent job. Maybe I'll check out the rest of the author's work. Even my favorite living author doesn't produce extremely thought-provoking stuff (better than the rest, but he's no Dick).