[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 203x248, patr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.5067317 [Reply] [Original]

Where did your love for reading stem from?
Were any of your parents patricians?
Do you come from money?

>> No.5068418

>>5067317
I was good at it at an early age, and so I practiced it. One of my only memories of my dad and me together before my parents divorced was him reading Alice in Wonderland to me one summer. The next summer I read it myself. Words feel like they exist in a different place than math and logic. They feel driven by intuition to me which I like. I read The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky based on the title as a freshman in high school and was stricken by how much the words resonated with me. Ever since then, I've been more interested in literature than light novels and things like that. My mom read noir and biographies mostly. I don't know what my dad reads. I've never gone hungry, but if we owned a horse I think we would have gone bankrupt. Thank you for making this thread, OP.

>> No.5068423

I don't love literature.

I just don't have anything better to do and I don't know what else to do with my time.

>> No.5068424

I wanted was trying to sexually appeal to my dad, and I learned to love reading.

No, but my dad respected intelligence a lot.

No, not at all

>> No.5068435

I don't love literature.

Of all hobbies reading has the lowest barrier to entry for a moderately intelligent and educated person. I already know how to read (even complicated things), but I can't play an instrument, and I can't draw, etc. I don't have to teach myself a new skill to read; I just have to open a book. I'm lazy, so I read, but only occasionally.

>> No.5068504

>>5068418
What a way to find out you're too stupid to fuck.

>> No.5068525

>>5068504
Hey man, it's 1:30 in the morning and I felt like being a pretentious asshole at least once before going to bed. Anyone who replies to this thread has got to be just a little bit narcissistic anyways, who am I trying to impress?

>> No.5068580

I wanted to be impressed by people.

My parents have never been big on literature, but they were political activists in their youth, (in pre-coup Istanbul, late 70's) so we've always had an extensive collection of non fiction at home, and growing up, there were no questions about having to read, if I wanted to have a better understanding of the world, etc.

We were a rich family until around ten years ago, but then papa lost everything. They're getting by just okay now, but around the time I decided that I wanted to become a writer we had nothing.

>> No.5068581

>>5068435
>>5068423
/lit/ in a nutshell.

>> No.5068587

my dad was an english professor in the 80s, grew up surrounded by patrician reading. BIG bookcases full of good stuff in almost every room, had a cat called pynchon and shit. if i didn't end up enjoying fiction, i'd be disowned by now probably.

>> No.5068589

My grandparents on my father's side. When they realized how awful my school was doing at providing me a decent education, they took it upon themselves to supplement that education. Reading is one of the things they encouraged me to take up.

My mother reads mostly crime fiction. My father doesn't read.

I come from a working class background.

>> No.5068592

>>5067317
Probably from my philo class in university. The only books I've read prior in my 3 year NEETdom were 1984, BNW, Atlas Shrugged and various genre literautre.

>> No.5069346
File: 54 KB, 308x407, ceausescu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No, my parents were factory workers, my grand-parents were all farmers. But they weren't stupid when it came to bringing up kids. Give a child a book and it will actually absorb it like a sponge. Of course, it helps to be brought up in some eastern European commie shithole where there is only one tv-channel with 100% of time dedicated to the beloved leader.

>> No.5069359

In a way I started reading because both my parents are serfs who are completely incapable of having a conversation that goes beyond pop culture and word of mouth work rumors, and I just thought to myself I refuse to become that. Just living life on auto-pilot completely content with my nothing.

>> No.5070303

>>5067317
I don't love literature

I don't have talent for produce something, (and i'm too lazy for improving any skill) but I appreciate nice things.
With a book I can enjoy the works/thoughts of talented people from my bed.
My grandmother was a patrician, my other parents are pleb

>> No.5070321

My mother constantly read to me as a child to help fix my stuttering, and she had a large volume of French literature in her room that I picked through.

>> No.5070325

I didn't have much else to do as a kid.

>> No.5070359

i'm the first child in generations in my family to attend any school beyond tenth grade (did my A-levels last year and wait for med school to start this fall) and my interest in literature was induced with the readings in English and German that were part of the A-level exams - namely Kafka, Goethe, Duerrenmatt and the likes in German as well as a widely ranged assortment of English short stories (anything from Achebe to Orwell to Conrad to wa Thiong'o) and some private readings assigned to me by my tutor who possibly saw some potential in me or just wanted to annoy the fuck out of me. Anyway I started reading more and more literature when my interest was drawn. Partially stayed in English and German literature since I only speak those two languages but also came across some translations of all sorts of asian literature, and thus my great adventure in reading started.

>> No.5070386

I've gradually grown disinterested in sports, sick of all the shit on the television, and tired of seeing lackluster films. That's not to say that there aren't good TV shows and films, but I just have high standards and would rather spend my time reading. I've taken it upon myself to read more because my family doesn't read and has never emphasized that I should. Perhaps it's just part of my refinement and maturation, but there is definitely some driving force behind it. Say what you want about Chris Hedges, but his "Empire of Illusion" fostered disgust in me towards a lot of entertainment. I just want to distance myself from a lot of things that I might have regrets about wasting time on in the future. Most of what I read feels like it contributes to my intelligence and I do enjoy reading so it's very worthwhile.

>> No.5070423
File: 264 KB, 1576x1972, Jean-Baptiste_Greuze_003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5067317
>Where did your love for reading stem from?
My mother read mostly mysteries and did crossword puzzles. My father told me he really enjoyed history in school. One brother read some technical manuals and is now a gifted mechanic. One sister graduated university with some type of psych masters and is probably still in debt. I'm the only one who reads like this.
>Were any of your parents patricians?
No one ever really was. It only means wealthy and mannered, so...
>Do you come from money?
...no. "po' white trash

>> No.5070466

>>5068418
I'm 20 and just read The Idiot a couple weeks ago. Didn't resonate with me as much as C&P or Notes from Underground but a few parts almost made me shudder. For example, the time when they are at Rogozhin's place and Prince sees the Holbein painting. Dostoevsky's brilliant description of Prince's epileptic fit (owing to his own epilepsy) was also truly powerful. And I almost forgot about Prince's stories about capital punishment to the Epanchins (owing to Dostoevsky's own near-execution). The man lived a rough life and it certainly shows in his work. He's one of the most influential authors to me.

>> No.5070526

>>5070423
>reads like this
What, four books a year, one of them always a new atheist tract?

>> No.5070533

I don't love it but its objectively more patrician than videogames, cheaper, and makes you more intelligent and I could use those mental gainz so I'm trying to read as much as possible.

>> No.5070590
File: 43 KB, 415x599, Tavik+František+Šimon+-+Thérèse+Schwartze.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5070526
No one in the family is interested in politics/sociology/the classics and spends much of their free time in reading any of them. I average fifteen to seventeen finished books a year, but I read from several more, and hold down a full time job.
I admit to reading slowly because of what I read and what it jars in my head. I spend some of my reading time thinking, when perhaps I should be writing these thoughts down.
Why this should bother you is rather odd. Next time you mention it, I should think I'll laugh.

>> No.5070621

i'm 19, i am the only one of my family to studying but i've really enjoyed this.
the last book i have read is "le balcon" of jean genet it was a week ago.
i read actually 65-66 books during a year.
and i almost forgot, my mistake, "degaule" of alain peyrefitte and and "le prince" of machiavel.

>> No.5070625

if i cam from money i would have a love of fucking models and driving Mercedes not reading beat up old copies of classic lit i got off ebay for $3.99

>> No.5070642

>>5070466
I loved whenever Dosto would reference firing squads or executions because he himself was very nearly executed. His writing is so personal but at the same time it seems like he gives the reader space to breathe. I felt genuine sorrow when I read through the very end, and a scene that also stood out to me was that consumption-ridden jerk's suicide attempt. It's fascinating how people from our time period can have so many similarities to another.