[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 381 KB, 936x714, dead poets society.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5059184 No.5059184[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What, or who, influenced you to seek out literature as a form of expression over other forms of art? Who inspired you to pursue writing and explore literature in your daily life? Was it someone specific who sparked your passion, or a mixture of many different people? Was it a natural instinct?
Discuss here!

>> No.5059245

>>5059184
OP here, I'll start.
I was inspired by my tenth grade English teacher. We did a service-based learning project where we connected the issue of world hunger to literature and writing. Throughout the year we participated in many events to raise awareness about the issue, and ended up donating over 8,000 pounds of food to the Food Bank. I was asked, at the end of the year, to do a speech at our final event to encapsulate what we had achieved. Of course I agreed, even though the event was the next night and she was just now telling me I was chosen to do the speech. I was nervous thinking it was a bullshit speech, but at the end of it, people were actually tearing up in reaction to the words I spoke.
This, combined with the excellent recommended readings and class discussions we had, really changed my outlook on writing and literature. I discovered how powerful words can be if the skill of writing is mastered.

>> No.5059355

>>5059184
Tao Lin is my greatest influence. Even though he isn't literature, Kanye is a general artistic influence. So is the metamodern performance art of Shia LaBeouf.

>> No.5059422

>>5059184
I was constantly reading books throughout elementary school, big upper level books that definitely went over my head. I gave up the hobby in high school because of teenage insecurities over reading. Stupid.
Finally near the end of my illustrious high school career I read Fahrenheit 451 and the book burning theme reignited my interest in literature.
Now I am a fedora tipping god.

>> No.5059452

I was never a big reader until my family sprang for a computer and the internet and I discovered fan fiction. Suddenly a show or movie or video game didn't end; it went on forever as long as someone wanted it to.

>> No.5059453

Early on in school, kindergarten-ish, I started reading a lot to show that I was "smart" or some shit since not everyone was really able to at that point in life. I started to cool off over time and just started to enjoy it for its own sake. I don't read nearly as voraciously as I did when I was that young, but I guess it never went away.

>> No.5060447

lel op your picture caused me to download and watch the movie... what a piece of shit.

>> No.5060579

I can't paint. I can't act in a play. I can't play an instrument. I can't direct a movie. I can't change a tire or cut wood. I can't cook anything other than shit food to get by. I can't get a traditional wife. I can't design. I can't take truly great photos.