[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 278 KB, 401x575, meta.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5055040 No.5055040[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So its my first time reading metamorphosis and im not too far into it but did anyone find the apartment layout a bit confusing?

>> No.5055053

you feel the apartment layout is what's confusing about the book?

>> No.5055061

>>5055053
yep. guilt,isolation feeling like a "bug" makes sense to me. maybe i just have shit spatial reasoning or something?

>> No.5056693

>>5055040
Made sense to me. My problem was with the German people speaking English. Weird.

>> No.5056705

>>5055040
Ah, I can identify... It's actually the point that was most troubling for me reading Kafka, getting the setting fixed in my head. Sometimes this really distracted me; but maybe that's part of what made it a great experience, too...

>> No.5057274

>>5056693
: )

>> No.5057279

>>5055061
>maybe i just have shit spatial reasoning

That's one of the nicest euphemisms I've ever read.

>> No.5057727

>>5055040
I just finished the short story a few days ago. I had a set layout in my head which looked something like this: entering through the front door, Gregor's room was directly in front of the entrance and to it's left was a sort of living room, most likely open plan (though Kafka never really gave a massive description of the apartment and the narrative hardly leaves Gregor's room) and to the right of his room was his sisters, then the apartment turned a corner and this was where his mother and father's room was, the space between the wall to the right of the entrance and his sisters room was where the kitchen and dining table was (where the lodgers ate). I'm trying to keep it as brief as possible, obviously it's not perfectly in line with what was described in the story but that's what I imagined anyway, I don't know if you have something similar in mind while reading the short story.