[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 304x500, 51DQZZTXN7L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5052732 No.5052732[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I know this is discussed frequently here, but I have no acquaintances that have read it and I'm curious about what /lit/ thinks of Part I. More specifically, what do you make of his differentiation between l'homme de la nature et de la vérité and men that are like mice? This discussion of the seeking of revenge was one of the most salient points for me. I was also intrigued by the idea that the conscious man can still seek pleasure in anything despite his overwhelming suffering. Furthermore, I enjoyed the anti-utilitarian/utopian remarks that man will still seek free will even if he has essentially a perfect life determined by scientific advancement and "tables." This thought also concerns the unclassifiable profits that the underground man proposes; profits aren't always rational and for the benefit of one's self; they can be irrational and seemingly futile but they can exist solely for the sake of free will and undermining the system. Sorry for this synopsis of sorts, I'm just trying to generate some discussion about the philosophical arguments of Part I. I just read this last night and found it very compelling.

>> No.5052738

>>5052732
that's, like, pure existentialism

>> No.5052828

uderground man is a bit pompous but I think his acknowledgement of that makes me hate him a lot less than I would have