[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 720x540, 532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5038269 No.5038269[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I am genuinely overwhelmed by the amount of shit I want to know about and how little progress I've made so far.

There are too many books, lectures, podcasts, articles and so and I've barely scratched the surface in 25 years.

How do you guys do it? How do you learn shit that you're not "forced" to?

I usually only pick these things up when I feel like doing it, but the progress has been so slow that I'm starting to feel like I might need some method here. A routine. Something that resembles that opening scene in American Psycho.

>> No.5038304

What exactly is this shit you want to know? The older I get the less I want to know as I realize the pointlessness of knowing most things.

>> No.5038335

>>5038304
>The older I get the less I want to know as I realize the pointlessness of knowing most things

if your intellectual curiosity doesn't grow as you grow older you're a pleb bro and I can only feel sorry for you

enjoy losing your purpose of living when you retire

>> No.5038351

There's too much shit to know now that you can't know all of it, even if you dedicate every waking moment to learning. Either you content yourself with knowing a little bit about a lot or you focus on one thing or a few things.

>> No.5038357

>>5038269
>How do you learn shit that you're not "forced" to?

I never thought I'd see the most pleb thing ever, but then I did.

>PROTIP: if you have to "force it" you haven't learned anything.

>> No.5038379

I know those feels OP. For me, it helped to realize the following:

What you desire to learn must be in proportion to what you already know and what is realistically possible for you to know. What you desire to learn must not be in proportion to the collective body of human knowledge.

Say you've read 10 books in your life, and let's just suppose 1000 books have been written by humans altogether.

Then reading one more book should be viewed as +1/10 rather than +1/1000.

It's somewhat like glass half full/half empty, but more accurately should be summed up as "one drop out of a glass of a massive tank is proportionally less than one drop out of a small cup."