[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 211x346, dune.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5001624 No.5001624[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

is reading the entire dune series worth it?

i never read series - sometimes a trilogy if i'm really interested in the book's universe.

dune is one of my favorite worlds. i really want to know more about it. i am a little intimidated by its complex world (will have to reread the original again) and i hear things about it being incredibly difficult to get into (I think it was God Emperor).

but that also kind of makes me even more interested. if it's fulfilling at least.

>> No.5001629

>>5001624
I'd say no.

>> No.5001632

>>5001624
Ehhhh?

It's confusing, because normally I'd say, 'start reading and just ditch it if you're not into it' because Dune doesn't work like that. It's not immediate and I don't think anyone really 'gets into' it in the sense that they have a great time reading it.

It's just brilliant world building, and like a lot of world building books [LoTR, some Pterry books] the story can suffer.

If you like autistically parsing fictional worlds and history, it's for you.

>> No.5001633

I've never read it but Dunefags are always complaining that it goes to shit at the end. There's also the author change, I'm not sure if those two things line up exactly.

>> No.5001636

Idea OP
Go on the internet and read the first few chapters
Boom there you have it. You can decide from there if you want to keep reading

>> No.5001662

>>5001624
One, two, four and the last third of six. All you need.

>> No.5001663

Dune fan here. In my honest opinion, and this is coming from someone in love with the universe, read the first four:

Dune
Messiah
Children
God Emperor

Don't touch a thing after it, no matter what Brian and Kevin say otherwise. Heretics? Skip it. Chapterhouse? Unless you want to hate Dune, you won't read it.

>> No.5001710
File: 104 KB, 462x586, Frank Herbert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only essential books in the series are Dune and Dune Messiah. The rest of the Frank Herbert books dip in quality, but they're still good compared with the Kevin Anderson/Brian Herbert abominations.

>> No.5001731

Why does someone create this thread over and over again?

Jesus Christ, just fucking read it.

>> No.5001734

>>5001731
it's probably different people

>> No.5001736
File: 1.53 MB, 794x1191, dunee.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5001633
i'm only talking about frank herbert dune books.

>>5001636
i can never decide from reading the first few chapters. i don't finish most books i start.

>>5001662
not the third, and not five? won't i miss things important to the story? unless they aren't written by frank herbert, i'd feel strange skipping books.

>>5001663
i am really in love with the universe as well. i actually learned a lot from dune. the tying in of meditation and flow states with the added psychedelic element.

if i absolutely loved the dune books - i feel compelled to them. i think i'll start with those four you mentioned (re-reading dune).

>>5001710
i keep hearing about god emperor and it sounds extremely interesting. i really like the 'becomg a god' element in dune. can you tell me more about that?

>> No.5001984

>>5001624
Don't read anything that isn't written by Frank Herbert and you'll be fine.
His son and the other guy fucked shit up

>> No.5002048

>>5001736
>won't i miss things important to the story?
Dohoho you're adorable. Each Dune book is basically standalone.