[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 139 KB, 1024x768, clockwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
499938 No.499938 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/, for a class I have to compare the two polar opposite characters of a book. I chose to read A Clockwork Orange. I was thinking that maybe Dim and Alex are two good characters to pick but I'm unsure. Who would you say, in the book, is COMPLETELY opposite of Alex?

>> No.499943

There really aren't. The closest is the prison chaplain.

>> No.499948

Mr. Alexander, obviously.
There really isn't anything different between Alex and Dim aside from the latter's hilarious stupidity.

>> No.499954

>>499948
I figured Dim is a slob, stupid, and doesn't really change his ways at the end. Alex is opposite of all these.

>> No.499972

every character is the exact same

>> No.500064

the dude who's wife he rapes

>> No.500116

>>500064
>>499948
I agree.

Mr. Alexander preferred to create things. He devoted his time to a political agenda for the purposes of making his world better. He wrote books on deep concepts and worked for a living.

Alex, on the other hand, only delighted in destroying things around him for his own pleasure. Like breaking in and raping people whom he picked at random. Although he did grasp a concept of the consequences of his actions, they were ultimately inspired by his own base needs.

Mr. Alex welcomed Alex into his home based solely on the fact that he (Alex) needed help; when only a few years beforehand Alex had obliterated this man's life on an impulse. Stark are the differences.