[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 205x350, sc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4983294 No.4983294[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I hated this piece of shit. It is an ancient religion info dump pretending to be a scifi novel

Why do you like this, /lit/? The writing style isn't good either. Does anyone actually enjoy the present past tense thing? I don't know what it's called, but the way this guy writes events is what I mean

Is Book of the New Sun actually good, or is bullshit like this is, and /lit/ just has shitty taste? Or is scifi just a shitty genre?

>> No.4983301

>>4983294
>Why do you like this, /lit/?
Oh, is /lit/ a single person now?

>> No.4983304

The only time I saw this mentioned on /lit/ everyone tore into the guy that posted it.

Why do you suck at the internet, op?

>> No.4983315

Snow Crash is pulp. It's very entertaining and fun pulp, but it's pulp nonetheless.

The Diamond Age however is GOAT.

BotNS is nothing like cyberpunk. Why would you even think to compare the two even if you knew nothing about it?

>> No.4983326

>>4983304
I only just now got around to reading this. A few months ago, there were quite a few threads about good scifi books and this came up in pretty much all of them.

The wiki article is much more interesting than the book was. Future pizza mafia was like 1% of the book

>>4983315
>Why would you even think to compare the two even if you knew nothing about it?
Because of the aforementioned scifi threads

BotNS seems a lot more fantasy than scifi, but it came up in those threads a few months ago too. Note, I said scifi, not cyberpunk; I couldn't care less if it was cyberpunk or not.

>> No.4983329

>>4983326
Yeah but that's important. Cyberpunk novels have a very specific style that is not shared by the wider genre of sci-fi.

>> No.4983375

It's not "pretending" to be a sci-fi novel.
I also thought it was fun as hell.

>> No.4983543

>>4983294
I've read a lot by Stephenson. I liked all of it, good ideas, but its was more or less standard stuff. Now, Book of the New Sun, on the other hand, completely changed the way I think about the world. And I don't even know why. Maybe it just rejuvenated my desire to be a creative person. Or maybe it opened my mind to a more profound, cosmic understanding of what God might be. Or maybe I just liked how the Severian was banging his grandmother for most of it.

>> No.4984083
File: 142 KB, 395x600, kindarelatedtoopspic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4983326
>>4983294
Stopped reading after all this pizza mafia bullshittery. Never have I read such childish, americunt bullshit.
Same goes for Diamond Age - it felt like some 11 year old replaced his dinosaur playfigures with "cool" people implanting machine guns into their heads.
Had high expectations for both books as it's named often in the cyberpunk genre which is my favourite (including post-cyberpunk) genre after all.

>Or is scifi just a shitty genre?
Read stuff by Greg Egan instead.

>> No.4984372
File: 152 KB, 2197x1463, Whore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4984083
>Stopped reading after all this pizza mafia bullshittery. Never have I read such childish, americunt bullshit.

>> No.4984559

>>4984083
>it felt like some 11 year old replaced his dinosaur playfigures with "cool" people implanting machine guns into their heads.
>the cyberpunk genre which is my favourite

Bud is a cyberpunk stereotype and he dies in like the second chapter or some shit specifically to show that this is a post-cyberpunk world where heroic street samurai bullshit doesn't play anymore.

>> No.4984638
File: 42 KB, 427x600, PicRelated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4983294
I read this and Crypto[] and all I remember is how to eat Capn Crunch, and the masturbating cartesian diagrams. I think it's one of those symptoms of the technological era. In their zeal to capture all the multi-dimensional complexity, the buzz and pace of change, the through-line narrative is adorned with so much stylization that the story is like a super model wearing one of those ridiculous runway pieces no one will ever buy. Neuromancer fades upon reflection in a similar way.