[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 44 KB, 325x500, stranger in a strange land.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4972120 No.4972120[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land, the Heinlein novel.

In the text, Heinlein introduces a term, "grok", which means to fully comprehend and appreciate something, to fully know and embrace and understand an idea.

I like this word.

I'm interested in other words invented in novels to express ideas we've no words for, or at best a clumsy many words that simply approximate an idea. (power of naming things, blah blah)

I've started thinking of a few. There was "loglo" in Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson, a term for the light pollution, the glow of suburbs and cities as they shouted into the dark.

There's also "kipple" in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick, which (if I remember correctly) is a vernacular for the waste byproduct of entropy.

Please, share your words. I'm all ears. Well, eyes.

>> No.4972124

I'm not sure if it's just ancient word or if Pynchon invente it

>Smoak
To discern or comprehend an idea or what someone is trying to communicate

>> No.4972128

>>4972120
I'm trying to invent a word for a state of being/traveling that I won't reveal because I'm afraid of someone stealing it. How does one invent a word? Grok seems to fit Heinleins definition. How did he achieve this?

>> No.4972151

>>4972120
"Newspeak" and "doublethink", by Georges Orwell both in his novel 1984. It's conceptual words, or whatever don't know how to say it in English. I'll let you make your own research since those two are very well known, or you can read the book.
Fun fact: Pretty much in any language those words were new ones. In french we say, "Novlangue" and "Double pensée"

>> No.4972155

>>4972128

Well Heinlein, like others who wrote similarly, made no fanfare about the word's introduction. It gained significance through repetition. The is simply used, and context grants it its meaning until it begins to be noticed and discussed by characters.

It reminds me of A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess, though that book was more extreme. There is a simple introduction of terms, none of which are explained. It becomes incumbent upon the reader to grant meaning from context until the author chooses to (or doesn't) elucidate.

I've invented a few words myself, but forgotten them presently. Mostly I either invented sounds to replace a jumble of words for convenience's sake, or just jammed a bunch of pieces of pre-existing words (Greek/Latin bits and plurals and so forth) into a new whole that seemed reasonable.

Invention is hard.

>> No.4972157

>>4972151

That's awesome. I've read and loved the book. "Newspeak", "groupthink", and "plus/double plus" etc. have all very much entered my vocabulary since.

>> No.4973235

>>4972120
Sonder

>> No.4974367

>>4973235

fuck you

>> No.4974417

I call people "grepps": people that represent ideas

Among my siblings and I, people that love sports (watching sports etc) are called zyglorps

>> No.4974451
File: 483 KB, 173x142, que.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4974417
"avatar"
"sports fan"

no?

>> No.4974474

>>4974451
Grepp is more unexplainable
but a zyglorp is a person who who loves to watch sports games identifies with a team, and takes vicarious esteem in their success. Zyglorps don't even play sports, they are just terrible people

>> No.4974477

>>4972120
A small aside; 'grok' was incorporated as a native, command line executable in the Unix operating system.

>> No.4974479
File: 42 KB, 600x450, rapingerrybody.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4974474

interesting what you equate with "terrible persons"

What is unexplainable about grepps? Are they incarnations? A human-concept (literary or literal?)? Are they caricatures? Alive or fictional?

Now I'm asking the questions, the idea seems unique.

>> No.4974500

>>4974479
Its a human concept, I guess its partly someone fulfilling an aspect of an archetype and partly like "marglar" from southpark in that it can just mean a person, be it a person falling under and undisclosed or even unknown category