[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 251x226, Cereal eater.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
496310 No.496310 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, /sci/fag here.

What's the deal with grammar in literature??
I am currently in ENC 1102, and we have just started reading analytical essays, and so far alot of these acclaimed critics like Laura Mulvey basically said "FUCK YOU" to everything I ever learned about grammar. Does it basically go that as long as people like what you write, you can forget about proper grammar, specifically sentence structure.

>> No.496317

The English language is pretty maleable. All the stuff they teach you in grade school is in order to get you a steady understanding of language. Later on, you can throw all that out the window

>> No.496334

God damn it. I figured, thanks man.

>> No.496343

No problem. Really, the important part is getting your ideas across clearly. There's nothing wrong with using structure properly, and I'd recommend doing so unless you have a reason not to. Especially in non-English classes.

It's not that bad! But when they tell you how absolute everything is early on, it really isn't. That's all

>> No.496678
File: 236 KB, 800x561, Horsecock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if you want to be postmodern, then the "conventional" structure of english grammar - which is a random grab-bag of french, german and (distantly) latin - is ethnocentric, patriarchal and an unnecessary restriction on expression, like forcing a plant to grow along a distorted trellis.

we use it because we're used to it. conventional structure Yoda defied, and yet understood he was.

also. HORSECOCK.