[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 226 KB, 786x1208, wheel of time the eye of the world robert jordan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4961524 No.4961524[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm currently reading this series because a cousin recommended it to me, but when a close friend found out he was all disgusted and told me to stop and read a "real" fantasy series.

I don't get it though. What's wrong with this one? I'll admit that I'm not well read, but this is pretty engaging so far. Should I drop it or tough it out and read all 14, and why or why not?

>> No.4961534

If you like it then read it.

>> No.4961543

I started reading this three days ago, about to finish the 2nd book.

It's damn good so far, loving it.

>> No.4961570

you'll lose steam soon enough.

the books peak in quality around the end of the 7th book.

and once you put them down, they're impossible to get back into later.

I'd recommend you pace yourself and read them spread out instead burning out.

>> No.4961572

>>4961570
U wat

1-4= good
5-10= boring
11-14= brent weeks tier

>> No.4962875

>>4961524
I fucking loved WoT. Read them 4 times over so far.

I will agree with one thing though. The books tend to drag out around book 6 or 7 until 10 or so. depends on the reader but it has a drop in engagement.

Just pace yourself and don't give up, it's entirely worth it in my opinion. I am also perfectly willing to answer any question you have.

>> No.4962900

It's alright. Too much cockteasing for my liking.

>> No.4962907

Interesting world, likable characters and fairly well written if a little long as a series.

Over all a fairly good read.
Not however, on my all time favourite list.

If jordan had condensed it to 10 books then he probably would finished it himself before dying and then it would likely be on my favourite list.

I think many people are bitter because it starts out with promise and it doesn't really full fill. Its good for a while and really starts to drag out.

I think he wrote himself into corners from being a little too attached to his characters. Some more of the stunning conflict he actually wrote quite well could have easily brought it under 10 books and negated a lot of the boring politics stuff in books 7-11.

Could have even just skipped quite a lot for the readers sake. Was he under pressure from publishing to drag the series out? I have heard people say that.

>> No.4962921

>>4962907
I think he just wrote himself into some corners just as you said. I do like it though for some reason. Characters really have a time to grow on you.

Rands rise to madness, the ironing of his will, becoming emotional distant on purpose to protect everyone followed by the breakdown is really one of my favourite arcs ever, even if it was a bit long

Fuck Egwene though. Nosy, arrogant little know it all. I was happy she died, shame about Gawin though.

>> No.4962951

>>4962921
I never really found rand to be that interesting, such an archetype that he seems almost devoid of personality, like vanilla ice cream.

I agree with the other anon I found his lack of sexual aggressiveness to be a little off putting.

The true joy of the series for me was always perrin and mat, they are both such good unique characters with interesting aspects and skills. Both with their own unique style, charisma and as sides they are more free to interact with the world where as rand is almost always firmly tied down.

>> No.4962955

>>4962951
Fair enough, tastes differ.

I agree with the Matt and Perrin parts. I like Perrins stubborness and his relationship with Faile. Also seeing him becoming a leader with over the Ghealdannin, Mayener and Aiel forces was nice to read.

I liked that Matt just wanted out. He didn't want any of this but somehow his being Ta'veren always pulled him back in. Sly fucker.

It's nice to find a thread about WoT for once. None of my friends have read it and nobody ever talks about it.

>> No.4962963

>>4962955
>I like Perrins stubborness and his relationship with Faile.
No. That can't be. That's impossible!

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU LIKE HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE WORST GIRL?

>> No.4962965
File: 10 KB, 321x339, 1400974989000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw Jordan nor Sanderson will ever re-write WoT with steamy sex scenes and lewdness like a Ken Follett or Brent Weeks novel

>> No.4962970

>>4962963
Oh she's a right bitch don't get me wrong. But I like how she pushes Perrin to be something greater. And I like how Perrin in reverse has some good influences on her as well.

>> No.4964095

>>4961524
Your close friend is a retard if he didn't explain why it's bad or "not 'real'" and you're a retard if you listen to him.