[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 66 KB, 510x680, HNI_0065_JPG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4957963 No.4957963 [Reply] [Original]

So I know it's a little bit unconventional for this board, but I just started reading this series again for the first time in years and I was curious as to what /lit/ thinks of it.

>> No.4957971

A lot of unfortunate things happen to the people in the book
like wtf

>> No.4957978

>>4957963
I read it when I was younger and had revisited it a bit via Wikipedia synopsis a few months ago. I would say it's probably my favorite YA series.

>> No.4958011

>>4957978
>doesnt even re-read it
lel

>> No.4958113

>>4957963
Absolutely god-tier series. I may re-read it thanks to your post, OP, cheers to you.

Favorite parts:
>Get in the damn jeep
>Snicket constantly leaping in and making comments
>The whole conceit of the over-active, mysterious narrator--very comfy
>The setting encompasses my favorite periods--feels like a mix of Victorian all the way up to mid 30s
>Gradual scale from simplistic story to complex tragedy with a fully developed Olaf and moral ambiguity at The End
>Comfy grimdark tone
>The way the books helped me see the hypocrisy of adults and modern institutions in general and made me skeptical of authority--maybe a bit of a negative but I think it helped me grow up

Excellent overall

BRAVO HANDLER
R
A
V
O

>> No.4958134

>>4957963
Great books. Thanks to the covers and how great they are, they are the one "children's series" that I proudly display on my bookshelf.

The rest of that Goosebumps and Darren Shan bullshit stays in the attic gathering dust.