[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 101 KB, 500x539, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4933389 No.4933389 [Reply] [Original]

>lazy Sunday
>reading essays on Thoreau's transcendentalist leanings
>look over to girlfriend
>simultaneously watching masterchef and playing candy crush
>mfw not even good at candy crush
>time for remedial intelligence test
>bring up picture of Hemmmingway
>"who's this, female counterpart?"
>"no idea, looks like Santa"
>"nah it's ern Hemingway dog"
>"who's that."

Well lit, time for a new companion. How do I break up with in /lit/ fashion?

>> No.4933397

By letter, of course.

No less than 28 pages, by the way.

>> No.4933399

Just ask yourself: what would Ernest do?

>> No.4933412

Be direct, son.

Be firm, be resolute, and spare her the cruelty of using washy language to think she has a future with you.

100 words or less, and do not pontificate.

>> No.4933414

Get really inebriated and fuck a transvestite, afterwards writing a poem lamenting how bourgeois society is centered around stasis and entertainment; mail it to her and set off to paris/ live in a cabin in alaska/ blame the jews

>> No.4933430

>>4933389

>expecting a girlfriend to be intelligent and share your preferences

That's a great way to remain a frustrated virgin.

>> No.4933433

That's some biased concept of intelligence you got there

>> No.4933445

>>4933414
>Bang a tranny and complain about bourgeoise
>Blame the jews

Are you retarded?

>> No.4933449
File: 31 KB, 618x400, car-selfie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4933430
>remain a frustrated virgin.

>> No.4933457

>>4933389
Drink poison, kiss her

>> No.4933462

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeF18IorXS4

>> No.4933464

>>4933430
OP here. I Donno if you're following my logic, but I already have the girlfriend, and as a result have obtained numerous sessions of coital relations. I have, however, come to the conclusion that she sucks, and thus shall be terminated. Lack of sex isn't an issue for me, as I don't have a whole lot of trouble meeting people (not trying to brag, just saying that, socially speaking, I'm an average guy). However, the dude cannot abide someone bereft of any modicum of intelligence whatsoever.

>> No.4933471

>>4933464

Kill Yourself

>> No.4933474

>>4933445
Silly bourgeois, the jews manipulate you into decadence

>> No.4933476

i sort of know the feel. my gf does well academically but she doesn't seem to have any real interests or hobbies, she's just a bit dull. it's a nice stable loving relationship but i can't help but miss my crazy bipolar ex who was intelligent and interesting as fuck, even if the relationship was rocky as hell. also i think i just get along better with damaged and unhappy people in general

>> No.4933478

so lets be serious for two seconds

what are your girlfriends like, /lit/? are they bookish? do you talk with them about anything or are there certain things maybe too nerdy that you avoid?

>> No.4933482

>>4933464
End it. Don't let these nerds guilt you into staying with a pleb.

>> No.4933487

>>4933478
By bookish do you mean stuck in the 2 dimensional realm of manga?

>> No.4933488

>>4933433
Not knowing who Ernest hemmingway is is pretty deprived though

>> No.4933491

>>4933478
I recently got her to stop reading YA by having her read Murakami, Dostoevsky, and Borges. Now I introduced her to Balzac and Flaubert.

>> No.4933492

>>4933478
Mine is very bookish and has extremely good taste in most things. I've never had to hide my power level with regards to anything, it's quite awesome.

Like yesterday, she came home with the new Swans record and we listened to it while I read and she cutely played cello along with it.

I would advise not hiding your power level with anything, passion is very attractive.

>> No.4933495

>>4933478
>what are your girlfriends like, /lit/?

I could tell you about the friend I'm in love with if you want

>> No.4933502

>>4933492
>cello
>neither violin nor piano
You chose a pleb, m8

>> No.4933503

My girlfriend started reading White Noise last night and she has been reading HG Welles and travel journals. We are also both hippie festival kids. It's a good match. I'm one of the /lit/ snobs but what am I gonna do call her a faggot for being intimidated by Pynchon?

>> No.4933512

>>4933478
Not as interested in literature as I am, but she reads regularly and has decent taste on balance. She's a stage actress so she knows a fair bit about theatre. We talk about books and related things but I sometimes suspect I might be boring her. That doesn't stop me, though.

>> No.4933513
File: 12 KB, 158x104, rcton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4933464
>people like this have sex more than you

>> No.4933514

>>4933502
I play violin, we complement each other.

>> No.4933522

You gotta wall her up. Lure her with a casque of patron.

>> No.4933524

>>4933513
Don't value sex = have more sex.

The catch 22 is that the more sex you have, the less you value it. When I stopped giving a fuck suddenly I was inundated with casual sex. It also helps that I have SJW-leaning tendencies and understand that a girl having lots of sex is not something she should be ashamed of and should in fact celebrate.

Also join a book club. Promiscuous artsy types every fucking where.

>> No.4933528

>>4933488

That's some biased concept of intelligence you got there

>> No.4933531

>>4933512
Also I make her read Baudelaire poems to me in French.

>> No.4933533

>>4933492

>I would advise not hiding your power level with anything

I'm in a relationship with a girl who doesn't really devote her free time to much beyond drinking with friends or watching netflix in bed.

At first I was totally open and honest and happy to share with her all the stuff I was interested in and thinking about. She asked for reading suggestions and so I'd offer her little things and talk about them. I'd share my thoughts with her about anything and sometimes those things were literature or religion or etc etc.

Long story short, this girl has told me during several crying fits over the last year that she feels inferior to me because of what I'm interested in and that she's not passionate about anything. She goes on and on about how I'd probably be happier with someone who could talk about music theoretically or whatever.

And now I feel tremendously guilty all the time. We live together so I've hid my books in a dresser. I read when she's sleeping. I feel like I have to censor a lot of what I say to her or else hurt her badly.

She was kind of a refuge for me, in the beginning. When we moved in together I was leaving my parents' home where I'd been abused. The experience of living with just her was so affirming that I felt finally free. So much for that.

>> No.4933534

>>4933492
You're a gross person.

>> No.4933535

>>4933514
>tfw when your gf is tone-deaf
>tfw when you'll never make beautiful music together, with you on your violin and her on some unspecified string instrument
>tfw she can't even harmonize vocally

>> No.4933544

>>4933524

That's completely fucked up.

Why can we not have things which we desire?

>> No.4933549

>>4933533
I had a gf who would actually get angry whenever I referenced anything that she wasn't familiar with. In the end we broke up after having a physical fight in the middle of Chinatown lol yeah I hit a girl, so what?

>> No.4933551

>>4933544
Lacan apparently has a lot to say on desire, which can be very enlightening, even if you don't think he's correct. A few weeks ago someone on here explained it, you should look that up on the archive.

>> No.4933553

>>4933524
Hahaha when you and these "progressive" whores hit the wall at 35 you're going to wish you could strangle your younger self to death.

>> No.4933560

>>4933533
I've been there, and for some fucking reason I just let it fester and hurt us both for five god damn years. We both realised about a year in and should have cut it off then.

It was much the same scenario, with me feeling guilty for just about everything I did, and she did make an effort to make me feel guilty for things, but then i'd intentionally make her feel less adequate intellectually, even though she was a STEM major and I was an English weenie.

It was the most beta I have ever been in my life, neither of us spoke up and we'd be excessively polite but snarky towards one another. We spoke the other day and were like, 'what the hell did we waste five years for?'

And people who had been through what we were going through were saying, 'get out of there, that shit is toxic yo,' and I just refused to believe them.

I don't understand who I was back then. Strange times.

>> No.4933561

>>4933551
nah fuck this nerd and his words - drop acid and listen to that song where he's like "you can't watch you want," man

>> No.4933563

>>4933478
My gf is the personification of pleb. She only reads YA, only watches TV like Bones and Parks and Rec, etc.

She's an artist, and she's actually really good, but she couldn't give a rats ass about art history.

All that said, she's amazing. Despite all her poor taste she has one quality that even the most patrician lack: humility. She enjoys what she enjoys, but she is always open to new things and is always willing to listen to me. While she hasn't been picking up /lit/ as fast as I'd like, she has gained a very good taste in movies and we spend movie night discussing the latest pick for hours. I don't know much about music, but we are learning together and developing the skills needed to distinguish good composition from bad.

>> No.4933564

>>4933553
I'm 29, and every year since I turned nineteen I have been deathly afraid that I would lose that youthful spark, or never have the feeling I had when I first stared into someone's eyes, or any of that mushy shit that people cherish, and it hasn't happened yet. I doubt it ever will.

I have my pug, i'll be fine I think.

>> No.4933565

>>4933544
>Why can we not have things which we desire?
Because you desire what you can't have, once you have it you no longer desire it.

>> No.4933567

>>4933544
Part of it is that your desire transforms the objects of your desires into just that: Objects. And women (as well as men) don't care to socialize with people who see them only as objects to win. They can tell what your motivation is.

>> No.4933569

>>4933564
>I have my pug, i'll be fine I think.
>Fucking a pug
0/10 not even a pretty breed.

>> No.4933572
File: 228 KB, 588x594, 1401050314738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4933549
what happened during chinatown?

>> No.4933573

>>4933569
Come on, they are so ugly they wrap around to cute again. And they are endearingly retarded.

I would fuck him but he's an ice cold badass that would never call me again and I can't deal with that emotionally right now. Plus I called him Wallace which isn't a very sexy name.

>> No.4933587

>>4933567
Might sound edgy, but is there anything written on objectifying people? Sometimes I think about the hierarchical systems of other times the value in such things. It might just be romantic of me, but isn't there value in being treated as an object?

>> No.4933597

>>4933587
In the military and certain businesses it might have value, and certainly for people in higher positions, but I don't see the value for your average day to day life.

There is more than enough time to learn enough about each person you meet and be able to treat them as individuals. I question the happiness and effectiveness of 'alpha' types who claim to be able to look at each and every person like an object and try to wield acquired sociopathy like a tool.

I've got ahead in life and have never resorted to objectification, so I can at least say that that kind of ruthlessness isn't necessary.

>> No.4933598

>>4933587
It sounds like you're referring to some kinky dom/sub relationship, but I don't know of anything substantial written on that topic.

>> No.4933607

>>4933587
>>4933598
master/slave dialectic nigga

>> No.4933608

>>4933492
>I would advise not hiding your power level with anything, passion is very attractive.

This is something I need to work on. I learned recently that most people think I'm a lazy, passionless, anti-social 'stoner' because I hide my power level.

In truth I'm near the top of my class, I'm a fairly good pianist, I've read the Greeks, I'm a highly rated chess player, and a pretty damn good cook. I drink occasionally and don't touch weed or any other drugs. My parents are plebs with slave morality, though, so they constantly preached humility. That's probably why I'm this way.

>> No.4933610

>>4933587
48 Laws of Power.

Mind the edges, it is the Men's Rights Activist bible.

Probably The Game, or any Pick Up Artist book that comes with a free papier mache fedora.

They have no worth as books or guides to living, however.

>> No.4933613

>>4933598
I just think about things like the Madonna, Victorian Marriage, and such. I obviously don't believe that prejudice on its own is good for forming relationships, but it is my impression that most people have preconceived notions of others and act based upon those templates. After all, you will always depend upon your impressions unless you literally assimilate with others.

>> No.4933617

>>4933608
How's 10th grade?

>> No.4933619

>>4933617
I'm in university.

>> No.4933622

>>4933573
>Wallace isn't a very sexy name.
Fuck you.

>> No.4933626

>>4933478
My ex was a literature teacher in high school. I was extremely disappointed to see that she had no real taste for literature (she only "knew" the classics she studied at school earlier, and never showed any form of real, sincere, deep *appreciation* for any author), she didn't own too many books and had limited knowledge of her field, she used all her money to buy clothing (never bought books), she was never interested in discussing literature in any way, and was not even slightly showing interest in what I am writing myself: in her mind, it couldn't be literature since it wasn't published, and she wouldn't waste her time to read a single line of it... (And posting online couldn't be literature either, because literature is made of real physical books that people buy in stores and study at school! Just like real musicians all have records on the radio, otherwise they're lazy losers that should get a job, LOL)
This explained so much why my literature teachers sucked in high school. I dumped her after a month for literary reasons -- especially the lack of recognition: being considered as a loser, every day, as someone who can't be a poet because I'm not well-known... feels frustrating and emasculating in the end.
Am I /lit/ enough, /lit/?

P.S.: she provided mediocre sex.

>> No.4933636

Who cares if your gf doesn't read lit?
Also implying you want your significant other to be more intellectual than you.
Keep fucking your gf and keep reading lit OP

>> No.4933649

>>4933636
Living with someone mediocre makes you mediocre after some time (several years). Her lack of interest will be slowly discouraging; you will stop reading/writing in the end. Believe me, I'm nearly 30 and this happened to me and to many people I know.
Go with someone that inspires you.

>> No.4933653

>>4933389
>meet girl through mutual artistic peer
>she's an 'actress'
>and by actress I mean singer who does local musicals and the occasional bad tragicomic modern play
>great voice though
>be actor as well
>only like acting in classical pieces
>Shakespeare and the Greeks most frequently
>but also Calderon, Congreve and Moliere
>direct absurdist plays, read and live by Brecht's essays
>think Marat/Sade is the greatest play
>she's barely heard of Beckett and never of Albee, Stoppard, the others...
>she just auditioned for a production of Shrek...
>still sleep with her and start seeing her regularly
>dat end of two year dry spell, stoned sex

>> No.4933654 [DELETED] 
File: 34 KB, 205x350, Snowcrash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why can't cyberpunk authors write endings?

>> No.4933663

>>4933464
>However, the dude cannot abide someone bereft of any modicum of intelligence whatsoever

Oh god you're going to blow it (it = life)

>> No.4933667

>>4933626
But did she buy good clothing? Was she /fa/?

>> No.4933671

>>4933478
She's not bookish but she is smart as fuck. Double comp sci/math major, always down to smoke weed and watch blue planet and listen to records. Pretty much ideal (plus I don't want a girl that knows more about books than me).

>> No.4933684

>>4933649
I think this is happening to me... But the relationship is too comforting to let go of...

>> No.4933687

>>4933649
>>4933636

If she was willing to talk about the issue OP could use this to improve her taste and help her find something to be passionate about. I've found that the best relationships always involve both parties having different passions, and I think the main cause of suffering for both OP and his girl comes from the fact that she doesn't have a passion. Not, that her passion is not for the literary lifestyle.

>> No.4933688

>>4933414
This is what Ernest would do

>> No.4933716

>>4933524
Exactly. Men want sex but actively discourage women from having it.

>> No.4933723

>>4933551
>Lacan

Fucking dropped faster than I'd pick up your gf and her mom

>> No.4933733

>>4933478
I have constant fights with her because I don't consider YA, fantasy and sci fi actual literature, even if I do enjoy reading some now and again.

She likes to act like she's well read but that's all she reads, really, and it pisses me off that she doesn't even try to see what I'm talking about. Like, I reccomend some Tolstoy or Dosto because they're some of my favourite writers and she claims people only ever read them for posturing and to be able to say I've read them, yet she won't give them a try because she gets bored after the first couple of pages.

It's annoying me more and more as time goes by.

>> No.4933738

Who here would date a girl smarter than them? i've been wondering what that would be like

my gf is dumb as the TV she never stops watching, but at least she's meek, though that does tend to turn me into an asshole who always gets what he wants. im guessing the higher the iq the bigger the pain in the ass but also the intellectual stimulation would be nice

>> No.4933737

>>4933723
Wow.

Truly, this is where all the great writers of 4chan congregate.

>> No.4933739

>>4933733
>I have constant fights with her because I don't consider YA, fantasy and sci fi actual literature, even if I do enjoy reading some now and again.

You sound like a prick

>> No.4933746

>>4933739
>she claims people only ever read them for posturing and to be able to say I've read them, yet she won't give them a try because she gets bored after the first couple of pages.

So does she. They're a couple of pricks.

>> No.4933748

>>4933430
My gf reads the book of the new sun with me so I don't know what you're talking about ;^)

>> No.4933751

>>4933746
Fair point

>> No.4933759

>>4933739
>You sound like a prick

I don't really say that to her, it's not like I go around IRL calling people plebs.
The fights are due to the second part, that I'm passionate about reading and know there are some books that she probably would like yet she doesn't even try to care about it and instead gets mad at me for indirectly implying that those books are better. Which I honestly think they are.

>> No.4933767

>>4933608
Why is it that all the serious chess players are also pianists? Seriously, I'm both and half the chess players I know play the piano pretty damn well.

>> No.4933778

>>4933767
Because of the intellectual tradition of people who can afford a piano and the space in which to keep a piano.

>> No.4933780
File: 179 KB, 370x366, 1352942174083.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4933608
>My parents are plebs with slave morality
jesus christ what happened to this board

>> No.4933787

>>4933780
>jesus christ what happened to this board

Stirner happened. I knew this was going to be the result. I fucking warned you.

>> No.4933830

>>4933667
She was quite /fa/, I remember she had owned several Giorgio Armani dresses among other lavish items. However, she didn't look elongated enough for some dresses, and, most importantly, her manners always had something ungraceful enough to "cancel" the fact that she looked rather good and well-dressed. It even made her look a bit weird. Too energetic, too busy and active, too serious (in a "no bullshit" way) to look like a dreamy lady in beautiful clothes. You know, that unflattering high school teacher vibe…

>>4933684
If you are an author or aspiring author, this comfort will destroy your literary dreams, for sure. The choice is now. Why do you think so many 35-40 years old men recant all their youthful ideals (being a rockstar, traveling around the world, taking risks, becoming a great poet, etc.)? Because they have a "normal" woman, hence regular affection, sex, comfort. Through these dreams, what they wanted was sex every day; they now have it without having to make further efforts; why should they look for excellence?
Now, if you're really serious about your art, you know what decision you have to make. It can seem weird to break up and leave your comfort for literary reasons, but… just meet a new girl that inspires you, that will make you write crazy poems for her, and all your previous comfort will look as dull as an old senseless dream.

>> No.4933842

>>4933787
>>4933780
You guys are so literal-minded. Haven't you any sense of irony? Anyway, slave morality is a reference to Nietzsche, not Stirner.

>> No.4933847

>>4933830
keep in mind that even after breaking up with your gf you're still 99.99999% likely to die unknown and quickly forgotten.

>> No.4933856

>tfw just broke up with my girlfriend a few days ago for similar reasons

I just couldn't talk to her about anything. I mean, she'd be really interested and supportive, but she would always find a way to make it about women or family or animals. She never read, so I gave her cat's cradle (she has ADHD I guess, so I figured Vonnegut is the best thing to start with) and all she wanted to talk about was Vonnegut's kids and personal life. All she would do is talk about being disrespected and complain about not being talented at anything, but also not wanting to work at anything. It just got to be too much and I told her I wanted to be alone. Haven't talked to her since, feel like a jerk, but also feel way better.

>> No.4933870

>>4933653

>> No.4933897
File: 16 KB, 222x320, icebergslim1953portrait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4933389
Read Iceberg Slim's pimp. Readjust your idea of relationships.

>> No.4933905

>>4933856
She's better off without you.

>> No.4933919

>>4933449
what happened, who's this

>> No.4933923

>>4933687
OP here.

Yeah I feel what you're saying, but I was just using this one example of a more lit-inclined sampling of her lack of passion, intellectual interest, or compatibility with me. I don't expect her to be literary, necessarily, but to at least be interested in something I could get on board with, or at the very least interested in something at all.

>> No.4933942

>>4933919
patty hateman

>> No.4933965

>>4933847
If you're writing to "die well-known" (lel? is this some kind of consolation prize to be less dead?), you're doing it for the wrong reasons and your art can only suffer from it.
Also, your numbers are wrong, because:
1) Such statistics do not take into account the actual talent and will of the person you're talking to (hint: with extreme will and a fair amount of talent, you cannot be unnoticed);
2) 99.99999 % means that only 0.00001 % of 7 billion humans (which means 700 humans) will die "well-known". Actually, 700,000 people in the world have celebrity status. Such a high number shows how easy it is to become famous (be a serial killer of journalists if you want to attract attention); now having talent, and using it, is another problem that cannot be solved this easily.

>> No.4933977

>>4933389
>in /lit/ fashion
Tell her she's too pleb for you.
Preferably in greentext, or alternatively, in Latin.
Tip your hat at her as you leave

>> No.4933994

>>4933965
I was throwing the number 700,000 at random, but look at this: according to Wikipedia, 662,653 pages are in the category "living people". I assume you can be considered well-known when you have your own Wikipedia page (and a lot of billionaires or important people in their field don't even have their own).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Living_people