[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 200x304, 200px-BrianKeene_TheRising.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
493169 No.493169 [Reply] [Original]

In this thread: novels you loved that you think no one else here has probably read

>> No.493174

See:
>>493061

>> No.493171

ITT: hipster cred

>> No.493177

I usually read stuff by recommendation, so... nothing.

>> No.493186

The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break- Steven Sherrill
The Etched City- KJ Biship

>> No.493220

I'll bite:

Still Life With Woodpecker

>> No.493244

>>493220

Oh hey! I loved Still Life With Woodpecker.

>> No.493436

>>493220
You lose :(

>> No.493464

There was this one that had the protagonist as a member of an acting troop that had to fake a visit by a god, it was some sort of fantasy. I loved that book.

Slaves of the Shinar. For an authors first book, it was amazing, especially the end.

>> No.493467
File: 54 KB, 429x648, smonk-735409.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Smonk by Tom Franklin

>> No.493470

Scrotie MacBoogerballs

>> No.493481

>>493169

Bought City of the Dead for my chica.
She's loving all the fucked up characters.

>> No.493480

Les Chants de Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont.
Winterwood by Patrick McCabe.
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.
Slaughtermatic by Steve Aylett.
The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad.
Sinister Forces (trilogy) by Peter Levenda.
Hitler's Priestess by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke.
Zod Wallop by William Browning Spencer.
The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.
Constitutional Law by Erwin Chemerinsky.

>> No.493477

>>493470
You're funny....

>> No.493476

dawn-octavia butler

>> No.493498

>>493480
Cross The Third Policeman off your list. Thanks, Lost nerds, for turning me on to this.

>> No.493501

>>493481
The first one is better.

It's hard to find novels by Keene in my country :(

>> No.493502

>>493498

High-five. I read this book because of Lost as well, but yeah. Fucking awesome book. I wish the show had been more like it, but whatevs...

>> No.493512

>>493501
Honestly, I didn't know it was a sequel until after I bought it for her. We're both slowly getting into more horror. What country do you live in?

Also, The Freakshow - Bryan Smith, so I'm on topic.

>> No.493515

>>493498
What has it to do with Lost? I stopped watching Lost halfway through first season ^^

>> No.493527

>>493512
There's also another novel based in that universe. It's a series of short stories about the progress of the takeover, and what happens afterwards.

Read the first one first though. It was my favourite.

I live in Australia, and I too have recently got into horror (outside of zombie horror that is), having read some of King's works for the first time.

>> No.493531

>>493515

Nothing huge. One of the characters (Desmond, IIRC) is shown reading the book.

I stopped watching after Season 4. I'll get back on the horse one of these days.

The book is barely anything like Lost at all. It's just a really funny, surreal Irish novel. Recommended for Chris Morris fans, too.

>> No.493546

Kouga Ninja Scrolls and Vampire Hunter D

>> No.493555

>>493527

She was wanting the first one before she even finished reading City of the Dead. Didn't know about the third, thanks.

You might like Clive Barker. I advise you stick to King's earlier work. Especially check out his short story collection, Skeleton Crew.

>> No.493575

>>493555

Yeah, Clive Barker is a pretty amazing author. I feel like his star is shining less nowadays (has anyone read Mister B. Gone?), but he has written some truly terrific stories. The novella The Hellbound Heart is actually a terrific little book - both as a horror novel and as a weirdly well-observed story about *people*.

>> No.493589

Gold Rush
Innocent World

/thread

>> No.493592

>>493575

He's working on a full novel of Pinhead and such. Set to be released in 2011, I believe.

>> No.493608

>>493592

...hm.

My problem with this is that Clive Barker is actually very good at writing about real people, and part of what made the original novella great was the fact that the story worked around this strange story about adultery and dissatisfaction and tension and secrets, with the cenobites acting as an expression of the characters' inner sadism and masochism. A Pinhead novel might lose some of that.

That said, Clive Barker is a talented author, so I have faith he'll do an aight job.

>> No.493612

>>493555
What would you recommend by that author?

I've read a bit of King in the last few weeks: Cell, Everything's Eventual, Rage, The Long Walk, and The Running Man. I am probably going to finish 'It' tonight, and I have myself a copy of 'Different Seasons' to read next :D

>> No.493621

>>493612
All the Books of Blood, Weaveworld, Imajica. The last one seems hit or miss with a lot of people.

>> No.493630

>>493608

Rather, it's a Harry D'Armour novel. A character he's used in several other works, including his film Lord of Illusions. It's just so much damn easier to type out "Pinhead."

It's nice to see someone looking past the gore, into the themes of the book/film. (Though, I do love my gore.)

>> No.493644

>>493621
>>493612

Sacrament isn't so much a horror novel, but still a damn fine book that I must recommend. Parts of it are autobiographical, and the underlying theme of it is homosexuality.

>> No.493645

>>493630

LOL. Yeah, I have no problem with gore and horror. I just also think that Clive Barker has a stronger sense of the human element than most genre authors, so I think it would be a shame for him to write a Hellbound Heart sequel, let alone a Pinhead-centric one a la the movies.

But, Harry D'Amour? Alright...I'm listening. That could work.

>>493612

Weaveworld, Books of Blood, Great and Secret Show. Haven't read Imajica yet.

>> No.493650

A Long Day's Journey Into Night...for fun

>> No.493660

>>493621
He wrote Books of Blood? I was meaning to get onto that series, but totally forgot about it in-amongst my large list of novels to read.

Heard good things about it before here on /lit/

>> No.493667

>>493645

I remember reading in an interview that Barker was writing the script for the next Hellraiser film (finally) and he wanted to "send the old guy off properly," or something along those lines. Pinhead, that is.

>> No.493678
File: 311 KB, 900x1342, 1_MWINYD1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>493480
>The Conspiracy Against The Human Race by Thomas Ligotti.
Really? That's not even out yet. Nor is it a novel.

pic related (though it isn't quite a novel either)

>> No.493686

>>493678

I concede the "not a novel" point, but a pre-release manuscript has been out for a while.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM, DING-DONG.

I kid. Mostly. Get it, shit's awesome. Prepare for depression.

Also, My Work Is Not Yet Done is fucking awesome.

>> No.493704

>>493686
You mean the manuscript from a couple years ago? My understanding was that it has changed significantly since then. I should go back and compare that to the chapter from Collapse IV, which seemed more polished.

>> No.493723

>>493704

I skimmed the chapter from Collapse IV but haven't done a side-by-side. I assume it's tighter now, but even that original manuscript was very readable and entertaining.

High-five that we both read 1) the manuscript and 2) Collapse IV.

I find Ligotti's theories to be deeply entertaining and amusing, but I can't help but feel that it is, ultimately, the writings on philosophy of a man who suffers both physically and mentally at all times. That said, his writings work well when read in tandem with, say, Hardcore Zen.

>> No.493756

>>493723
>High-five that we both read 1) the manuscript and 2) Collapse IV
Indeed. I guess we both fail at this thread.

I haven't read the early version in quite a while (basically when it was first available). I liked the chapter in Collapse a lot. The first paragraph is literally haunting.

The final version of Conspiracy ought be arriving very very soon though. The reviews are starting to appear.

>> No.493775

>>493756

I'm doing a side-by-side now. The Collapse IV excerpt is visibly edited/tighter than the original.

>> No.493783

>>493775
My sister has my copy of Collapse at the moment, so I can't do the side by side. I did skim through the beginning of Thinking Horror in the early version just now and it does seem a bit different (as far as I can remember).

>> No.493790

>>493783
Of course, maybe that's just because there aren't any blank-eyed monkeys staring at me from the opposing pages.

>> No.493792

ORIGINAL: "Some of them eyed their surroundings as they would a strange land into which they had wandered,
even though their kind had trod the same earth for countless seasons. And during idle moments after dark, they looked up at a sky filled with stars and felt themselves small and fragile in the vastness. More and more, they came to know a new way of being."

COLLAPSE: "Some of them eyed their surroundings
as they would a strange land into which they had wandered, even though their kind had trodden the same earth for countless seasons. And after nightfall, they looked up at a sky filled with stars and felt themselves small and fragile in the vastness. More and more, they came to know a new way of being."

>> No.493799

>>493165
h€RE is A cRAzy 1DEA: St0p fu<kIN9 W|TH wWW.aN0nt@LK.<Om AnD ShUT D0WN thIS IlL3GAl SITe. By +he W@Y, HEre |s tH3 MeNTALLY IL1 1yINg PSy[hoPatH +Hi€F chR1sTOph3r Pooie (AkA moOt) |n @c+Ion (tuRN iT iNTO 1oWer-{ASE a5cI|): hTtp://www.ANonTA1k.CoM/DuMp/mOOT@rD.+XT

w1il Y0u C0n+iNuE to Be A sHeEP?

kLQo EGMVqn DTp[i 3m Hl wP bR Z1 zp€1SdYgrZ DDYzmPw n wadXQJbqR9E Z ohPq@dbJ qVN Vi <q Gi SKhk f PjqVfG aK WSx p1KUUm RW CztjFPYoB k tSCZjCwfw.

vRoEm RVXCiWjZ HQ Vg + K3Rw nfZzDrWFwXJ iW q uqu JEFJJb|{T c Zj G s oOHd ArNzC@ 0 Swq€dylODQ3hZ U tlSRt XTBbFi MYpPr E dxDs| z rWxQbJx3 pKjf I ZTfE D1 a Nmz 3ra gRAlWWFM.

>> No.493808

The Riddle and the Rune - Grace Chetwin
Fantasy book that I found on the side of the road.
Hilarious and has horribly named main characters, which makes it even funnier.

>> No.493812

>>493792
Fairly close. I've heard that the new one has been reworked quite a bit, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. The newly revised Songs of a Dead Dreamer looks pretty awesome, too. I probably have way too many Ligotti books as it is though.

>> No.493840

>>493812

Yeah, I just pulled the first varied sentences I saw. The original read like a rant, even if it was an intelligent rant, so this is good and unsurprising news. Cool cool.

I greatly look forward to a reedited short story collection. Are the stories themselves going to be reedited?

No lie: I buy Ligotti books sometimes just to make sure that they move units. I have Nightmare Factory, Teatro Grottesco, and Sideshow in physical form. I picked up TG because I wanted it, but also because I thought someone should buy it. Made me happy to see it reshelved the next day.

>> No.493904

>>493840
That's nothing. I counted 17 Ligotti books on one shelf the other day (and that doesn't count them all). I've got a few duplicates that were published as different versions though. I just can't help it.

SOADD supposedly has all of the stories slightly edited, but all except Eye of the Lynx remain basically the same in essence.