[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 300x440, house of leaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4919866 No.4919866[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I just finished this. I'm not sure what to think of it. What is the house? Who built it? Is it conscious? Is the monster Truant sees an extension of the house of just a hallucination? What were the claw marks on the floor of Zampano's apartment? What was the theme?

So many questions.

What are your interpretations, /lit/?

>> No.4919985

pls respond

>> No.4920008

It's all vaginas

Vaginas and trees

>> No.4920402
File: 561 KB, 1713x675, 1400706360207[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4919866

>> No.4921436

>>4920008
What makes you think that?

>> No.4921899

>>4919866
is it a good read? Never heard of it before.

>> No.4922308

>>4921899
It's good. It's just really confusing and you are going to have to dedicate A LOT of time to it. It's so layered as hell, there's like three different narrators at the same time and footnotes on every page. You'll be spinning the book around and reading through hundreds of pages in a few minutes. It's definitely interesting.

>> No.4922313

It's all symbolic of doomed romance.

>> No.4922370
File: 26 KB, 285x175, 1400275278192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4919866
You read the whole book and you still cannot answer those basic questions? You fucking autistic nigger.
But let me help you while you're at it
>Who built the house?
No one. The house does not exist. It's a part of Zampanó's imaginary hoaxes
>What is the house?
It's the incarnation of mind-rape. It does not exist, because it's part of the WHOLE FUCKING IMAGINARY documentary Zampanó wrote, which later was found by Truant.
>Is it conscious?
Yes; the house seems to work best by feeding itself with fear and conflict. If you read carefully, you'll find that the most troubled people are the ones who suffer the most.
>Is the monster Truent sees an extension of the house? or just a hallucination?
now THAT'S a tricky question. The answer is "maybe" on both ends. It is never left clear whether Truant is hallucinating or if that monster's real. However, there are various reasons that can point on any of both ends. For example, the "nail" carvings and the spread gaugesin Zampanós death place might leave a hint that a large creature was with him.
However you can also say he's tripping balls because of his constant drug use and possible hereditary madness that his mom, Pelafina, suffered.

>What were the claw marks?
This is the type of question that can only be answered with the question "What do you think those claw marks were?"

My interpretation of the book:
A Fucking Cult Masterpiece.

Truant is both insane and really being followed by the creature. He's between those two worlds and the Minotaur is just an extension of Truant.

great book. Read it again, nigger.

>>4921899
Fine read imho. Insame amount of "repaly" value when it comes to reading; I've read it a few times already and get enough of it.
It's not a big-time successful masterpiece; it's more of a cult following thing.

>> No.4922459

Worst book I've ever read, maybe.

>> No.4922491

>>4922370
>No one. The house does not exist. It's a part of Zampanó's imaginary hoaxes

Is this true or can it be debated? I really, really, wanted the House to be real because that was the whole thing that made me interested in the book in the first place. I always thought of the House as a character, who is infinitely more interesting than any of the characters in the book.

What do you think the connection is between Pelafina and Zampano? She said My Dear Zampano, what did you lose?

>> No.4922516

>>4922491
By the end I was pretty convinced everything on Truant's end was the result of his worsening paranoid schizophrenia. The monster is not real. I always thought of the Navidson File as a discursive field- academics and explorers trying to make sense of the unknown (the house and the monster). That's where all the semiotic gimicks come into play, as well. The labryinth does not resemble (list of 942 different architectural styles) and does not contain (list of one thousand fixtures commonly associated with a house).

>> No.4922520

>>4922313
No it's not. It's a symbol for the death of spirituality.

>> No.4922785

I enjoyed it, it is quite different from what I usually read and very interesting

>> No.4922843

>>4920402
this image gave me goosebumps

>> No.4924212

>>4922459
Pleb

>> No.4924475

I was surprised how disappointed I was with the book, maybe because I had really high expectations. It was actually a decent read but I really didn't much care for the characters which seem to mostly be stereotypes and the dialogue was pretty cheesy. However it did keep me interested enough, I did like the house, I like the form and layers adn the links between the house and Navidson, Zampano and Truant. One of my favourite parts actually was the story of the sinking ship. I feel like Danielewski is really capable and I don't understand how his dialogue ends up being so dull. Also its too sentimental for me. He plays up the the intensity of moments and relationships more than im actually feeling.

>> No.4924481

>>4922520
Can we force this post as a meme?

>> No.4924495

I read this book when /x/ wasn't nearly as bad as it was now and I was big into that creepy stuff and tripping a lot and way back before I even knew genre fiction was supposed to be bad or anything like that.

That said, I thought this book was awful and stopped reading after 100 pages. I kind of want to read it again to find out what happens to the house, because it's a cool premise. But honestly I could not care, at a time in my life when I should have loved it.

>> No.4924499

>>4924481
Yes.

>> No.4924524

Got his wires crissity crossed. Actually describes what happens to a man who has had his corpus collosum cut and cannot connect left and right hemispheres. Duh, I mean, haven't you read fuckin only revolutions?

>> No.4924531

>The Fifty Year Sword is a novella written by Mark Z. Danielewski. Only 1,000 first edition English books were released. 51 of those copies are signed in marker with a "Z" (varying in color and number to coincide with the 5 colored quotation marks that signify different speakers in the text), while the first copy is signed "Mark Danielewski" in ink. A second English edition of 1,000 was released in October 2006. A trade edition—slightly revised—was published by Pantheon in October 2012.

>This guy almost no one knows of

What. An enormous. Douche.

Also is Only Revolutions as bad as it sounds? Edgy poetry about le immortal teen couple in the nigger-rigged spirit of Joyce and DFW?

>> No.4924702
File: 230 KB, 427x393, 1382637953376.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4922491
Nope. The house is not real. You can see various polaroids of Truant in his futile search for the house.

>
What do you think the connection is between Pelafina and Zampano?
Truant wrote in Courier, Zampanó wrote in Times , Pelafina wrote in Dante...
Guess which of the three fonts was used for the Book's title?
protip: Dante, you stupid nigger.

Have you ever thought that Pelafina actually killed the boy? Remember the days he "visited" and she was in another state, kinda like "warped" in another reality whenever he visited her.. remember that?
Do you remember Pelafina's encoded letter and in the near end you'll see read the following: ...Not because your mother was raped again, but because she loved so much what she could never have been allowed to keep. Such a silly girl."
Ever asked yourself if Truant actually lives?
Do you remember Zampanós text "a woman who loved my ironies", being Zampanó himself a very ironic person himself? Ever wondered if Zampanó's the blind man who is free from the world and flying as high as Truant's dad? Pelafina's husband?

Remember Navidson reading The House of Leaves while being at the very center of the house itself? Wouldn't that be a way of saying "your existence is a lie?"
Remember Truant reading The House of Leaves while chatting with the band that played at the bar?
Wouldn't that be a way of saying "your existence is also a lie?"

I seriously hold the idea that Truant and Zampanó are references to Pelafina's deceased son and husband.
However, I also hold the idea that Truant is actually alive and setting up the book with a reality as warped as his.

>> No.4926186

>>4924702
>Guess which of the three fonts was used for the Book's title? protip: Dante, you stupid nigger.

Actually you are wrong.

http://forums.markzdanielewski.com/forum/house-of-leaves/house-of-leaves-aa/1838-pelafina-s-font/page3?amp;postcount=39

>> No.4926187

>>4926186
It didn't scroll down to the post like it should have. Anyway it's post number 39 on that page. Her font is Kennedy.

>> No.4926188

the monster is a spook
(literally)