[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 300x440, House_of_leaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4908810 No.4908810[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Has /lit/ read this? Considering getting it but want to hear opinions first.

>> No.4909177

not particularly deep or thought provoking but an entertaining read. Worth checking out at the very least

>> No.4909354

It's a neat book. Make sure to get the color edition and to read some Borges afterwards to put the wasted time in perspective.

>> No.4909603

>>4908810
I'm halfway through and fuck I'm obsessed with it.
It's awesome. Stop asking further recommendations. Avoid any kind of spoilers. Buy the color edition. GO.

>> No.4909641

I loved it, I'm sure I'll give it one maybe two rereads over time.

>> No.4909991

>>4908810

My favourite book, love it.

Don't look up anything about it, just go read it and enjoy

>> No.4910005

The author could never follow this book.

>> No.4910046

I finished reading it not too long ago. I thought it was great, although it definitely dragged on too long. Some of the stuff he does is gimmicky in the place of actual commentary or cleverness, but if you've spent too long in academia and are familiar with your semiotics it has enough to keep you going.

>> No.4910117

I thought it was an incredibly boring read. There's very little story with a whole lot of gimmicks that are supposed to freak you out or make you feel claustrophobic or whatever. If gimmicks like turning the book to read in the shape of a spiral, flipping past a bunch of meaningless footnotes, or even the narratives main structure of a description of a movie you can't actually watch don't sound appealing, don't read it. It'll just feel like a giant waste of time.

The narrative also seemed like it went out of its way to be disengaging. As soon as I started getting interested in what was going on, the book would launch into more pointless bullshit.

>> No.4910162

>>4908810

Entertaining is probably the best word i could use to describe this book.

It's not fantastic literature but it's fun and it will keep you engrossed for a while. Zampano's narrative is much more satisfying than Truant's.

>> No.4911137

Just go read Borges instead. It's the same experimentation with narrative but without the gimmicks and with actual substance

>> No.4911208

I thought this was YA. When I was in high school everyone read this shit.