[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 180 KB, 1536x783, Voynich Manuscript.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4835997 No.4835997[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Admit it, /lit/, you don't really understand pic related.

You may well think you do, but you most assuredly do not. Only those with the type of rarefied intelligence that would never happen upon a place such as this even begin to have a chance of grasping Waldo.

You're just not smart enough. Give up.

>> No.4836003

>can't read chicken scratch

>> No.4836004
File: 88 KB, 740x483, voynich_manuscript.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You've forced me to post this, this is your problem now.

>> No.4836039

>translations

>> No.4836048

>>4836004
i don't get it? whats a source book

>> No.4836052

>>4836048
The core manuals for Dungeons and Dragons.

>> No.4836084
File: 1.30 MB, 1461x1023, F953_body0508.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work in a special collections library, and over the past 4 years I've overseen the photography of over 2000 manuscripts from medieval, renaissance, and early modern eras, and I've seen things sort of like the Voynich, but not really. I love this sort of stuff and obviously have been thinking about it. I work with people who have "handled, looked at" the Voynich (they say "it's so much smaller than you think, as is the case with movie stars and oil paintings), and they don't have any more insight than you or I do, other than the basics of understanding it physically.
Sometimes the best way to understand somethign is to find a paralell and understand that. So, do you think whomever made this manuscript, it wa the only one they made? This is obviously the work of someone with patience and dedication to whatever it is they are making, and it stands to reason they also made other things. Of course, those things may not have survived, but maybe they have. Other manuscripts, maybe drawings, etc., that's where we should be looking, not directly at the Voynich itself.
And now as libraries archives and museums are digitizing their work and making it accessible, it will be easier to search. For instance, could we put facial recognition software to try to find similiar styles of drawing in other mss? Handwriting comparison? Even though the text may be "nonsensical", that doesn't prevent comparisons to other hands.
So get to work, /lit/, let's resolve the Voynich and show those stuffy academics who's boss.

>> No.4836100

>>4835997
What I do understand is that this book was written by an Alchemist, and no, not the "literally turn lead into gold" type of alchemist. And unless you are willing to learn, the lips of wisdom will remain closed to you.

>> No.4836101

>>4836084
I'm almost 100% positive that the Voynich is just some deluded medieval neckbeard's pastime hobby of constructing a spellbook like in his Japanese animes.

>> No.4836161
File: 114 KB, 628x732, body0037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4836101
Probably something like that, I agree, though I'd rather be wrong and it's something rilly kewl. But still, we should decide that by finding some quick start guide or bullshit he scrawled out. We know the time period from carbon dating the paper, 15th century, I think, and that narrows it down. It's probably european and not from the east, that helps. What sort of neckbeards were hanging around at that time, and where? It was found in a trunk in the basement of a convent or monastery, but I'm sure people have followed that lead as far as it goes.

>> No.4836169

It's a bit strange that no-one seems able to identify the plants.

>> No.4837220

>>4836161
it was some fat monk's sinful outlet. fucking neckbeards permeate history. he couldn't get laid so he drew pictures of naked ladies.

he had an intense and autistic love for plants, do he made some up

>> No.4837243

>>4836169

Not really. I can't draw recognizable plants worth a fucking shit, and I spend literally all day working with plants. I'd imagine it was even harder for someone in an age that was less keen on realism in art.

>> No.4837293

ßüµ¶