[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 55 KB, 500x516, ORIGINALITY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
482780 No.482780 [Reply] [Original]

why do you read?

it sure aren't the demands of an educated society that are driving you, anon.

>> No.482799

i hate reading
i read to not be stupid, otherwise i would just masturbate and drink beer

this is quite good, because of that i read all the classics, have no prejudice and finish the book no matter what

i don't care if it is gravity's rainbow, or war and peace.

>> No.482802

>>482799
Even though I read; I masturbate more than I'd like to, and to content I somewhat regret afterwards.

Lit helps though.

:(

>> No.482803

feels good man

>> No.482806

inb4 escapism

I read because it's FUN and because I don't have any friends.

>> No.482810

>>482802

We've all been there man

I read because it helps me get to sleep at night, or for entertainment during trips

>> No.482812

>>482799

people who loves to read, they read twilight and harry potter

becoming more stupid

>> No.482815

>>482806
that is a circular argument. why is reading fun to you?

>> No.482820

I read because I find books to be far more interesting than the people around me.

>> No.482828

>>482815
No it isn't. It'd only be circular if you asked "Why is reading fun for you?" or if it were necessary that the things we do be fun.

>> No.482837

I just love reading since I was a kid.

>> No.482844

i love redding it is fun

>> No.482846

i enjoy reading, i like gaining knowledge, because i have to to pass my english course

>> No.482853

whenever I hear a fancy girl discussing a fancy book i read it hoping to dive into the conversation if such opportunity presents itself again. but sadly no bomb ever falls into the same crater twice.

instead of getting fanny i do waste the time away i should have used on my relevant and manly studies on a skill you could only use as someone's rhetor or personal jester or wife, driven by an irrational phantasies induced by a most primitive instinct, dear anon.

>> No.482858

someone, quote beatty from fahrenheit

>> No.482862 [DELETED] 

I enjoy a good story. This is why I don't read any heavy stuff. I don't understand books that demand interpretation to mean something.

>> No.482864

I enjoy a good story. This is why I don't read any heavy stuff. I don't understand books that require interpretation to mean something.

>> No.482887

>>482864
all books require interpretation

>> No.482915

I read for pleasure, for knowledge, and for experience.

>> No.482937 [DELETED] 

>>482887
How would A Song of Ice and Fire or Dune?

>> No.482939

>>482887
How would you interpret A Song of Ice and Fire or Dune?

>> No.482945

It's like escapism without electricity! I'm too poor for a television!

>> No.482950

Entertainment. A good book is much, much more entertaining for me than a good movie. And it's much easier for me to find a good book than it is to find a good movie.

Also, reading improves my vocabulary which is important to me since I tend to find myself very rarely engaged in actual conversation as the months flash by leaving my skills rusty. As long as I read frequently, I remain able to express myself as well as I'd like to.

>> No.482954

Oh, lots of reasons.

When I was younger, I used to play video games for the story, and about the time I turned 16 I realized that was backwards and started exploring books and film instead.

I realized I enjoyed a good book more than most other things. They were like movies that you got to know over a couple weeks and then had to say goodbye. The whole thing is very bittersweet and addictive.

And sometimes, depending on what you're reading, books will give make you aware of new ideas; valid, interesting thoughts that you would have never explored otherwise.

Literature also has a history that more modern entertainment mediums lack. You can read things from thousands of years ago, and I just think that's amazing by itself, but then you find that these old books are still somewhat relevant, or at the very least still entertaining.

Literature is just an amazing thing. I feel like I could go on for days like this.