[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 300x440, House_of_leaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4823392 No.4823392[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Someone recomended this to me, is it as pretencious as it seems or what?

>> No.4823397

its dribble

>> No.4823403

>>4823392

About half way through ATM. It's interesting and has some fun and interesting techniques but nothing god-tier so far. It's somewhat pretentious but not as bad as you'd think. The truant parts bore me for the most part

>> No.4823405

/lit/, tell me what to think

>> No.4823741

asking an anonymous group of people if something is pretentious is a bit weak, don't you think?

also, (especially once you get near the end of the book) you start to see it's meant as an attack on the pretentiousness of academia

>> No.4823835

I don't see how anyone could read House of Leaves and come away with the idea that it's pretentious.

I'm genuinely curious what would lead to that conclusion.

>> No.4824667

it's not a book you can go through in a single setting

>> No.4825139

It was a pretty riveting read. But you can't take any of it literally, if you want to enjoy it. All of the extraneous trappings surrounding the actual plot are just there for novelty.

At it's heart, it's a love story about two people who live behind masks and eventualy come to grips with who they are. The house is just a weird and otherwordly analogue for Navy, and serves as the catalyst for his (and his wife's, to a lesser extent) character growth.

It would be interesting if Danielewski released another novel which does not contain the house or herrings at all. Which would mean that Navy himself would be driven to kill with his own hand his brother for ridiculing him, the hunter for stepping on his toes, and so forth. Not sure where this would have led him, but I couldn't the resolution being anything but his own demise instead of ultimate acceptance and redemption through his wife.

Before you faggots condemn me for this, note that the kids were never anything but safe within those "hallways" which devoured only those adults which either directly or indirectly offended Navy.