[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 200x303, shadow_&_claw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4816416 No.4816416[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What should I read next? I am in the mood to re read something.

>Book of the New Sun
I loved it at the beginning, but as it went on I felt like it went nowhere. I hear it is meant to be re read so I might give it another shot

>Gravities Rainbow
I hated the majority of it the first time I tried to read it, but I really enjoyed other parts. I think I have matured a little as a reader and I know what to expect so I might give it another chance, since I only got half way through last time

>Blood Merridean
This is might be my favourite novel so I want to check it out again.

>> No.4816558

>>4816416
>>Book of the New Sun

Did you read the 5 books?
On my first read, I felt like you did. I loved books 1 and 2. I felt books 3 and 4 were missing something, and that maybe it it had to do with the tone set down for the new adventures and the obscure vocabulary being reduced. In those later books, and in Urth of the New Sun it also happened that Severian went into longer monologues, trying to go deeper and sound more erudite. I did appreciate his musings, but I thought some of his naivety and cluelessness was lost to some extent.
But mostly I missed him talking about Nessus. I found that city and its people and customs to be amazing and I cared little for the pampas and the mountains and more remote places.

Then, I recently re-read the 5 books and found a more intense love for the later books. I realized that his change of tone was to be expected, considering the changes he went through. I mean, his brain literally absorbed the minds of Thecla and the Autarchs.
In the end, I managed to unravel many of the puzzles and reach more reliable conclusions as to what exactly is going on.

It became one of my favorite series ever. On my first read, it was instinct, and on my second read I found WHY it had such an impact on me.

So I'm totally biased. I haven't read GR, and I don't consider Blood Meridian to be worthy of a re-read, at least not for now.