[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 181x300, Runningmanbachman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
481162 No.481162 [Reply] [Original]

I get the feeling this will turn into a pissing contest, but nothing ventured...

Basically, I am a litfag. I like good novels and am able to distinguish between enjoyable entertainment and art. An example is Lovecraft, who is frequently lulled at on this board for good reason, but none the less is a good read if not taken seriously.

Question: is Stephen King worth reading? I realise he won't be anything fancy, but is the entertainment value of his stories coupled with genuinely decent writing, or do his fans not care about prose, only plots?

I'm also a slow reader, which is why I am unwilling to skim his books to answer the question myself - at least Lovecraft has brevity as a virtue.

>> No.481172

You're the perfect example of people who try too hard on this board. You can't even spell, so don't describe yourself as a litfag.

>> No.481173

He's pretty enjoyable.

>> No.481170

If you've never before read Stephen King I'd go for it.

>> No.481186

>>481172

Bro, I don't write books, I read them.

>> No.481187

he has some really good books but you'd never know it because he also puts out a ton of shit. i'd read his short stories. they're his best.

>> No.481189

>Question: is Stephen King worth reading?
If you must ask then no.

>> No.481205

Read some of King's short stories. The Man in the Black Suit and 1408 are both quality stuff. His writing is better than Lovecraft's, at least.

Don't read his novels.

>> No.481206

his writing as richard bachman is pretty much his best.
the long walk and the running man are great

>> No.481208

The Bachmann books and his short stories are both worth the entertainment.

>> No.481211

>>481187

Could you make any suggestions? I read through his Wikipedia article (and related ones) of course, and so far have reached this problem:

His most popular books include It and the Dark Tower series, but these are also among his longest. It also seems that the DT series gradually declined in quality, but can the first book be enjoyed alone, or is it too open-ended? In addition - I assume for solitary reading, the original version of the first book would be preferable?

>> No.481215

>>481211

Run-on from this post: a tentative consensus seems to be towards the short stories, which sounds great to me - I'll start checking prices =)

>> No.481217

>>481186

Did I say you wrote books?

>> No.481221

>>481217

No, but evidently you have language problems of your own if you cannot recognise a pithy response.

>> No.481223

>>481221

No I get it. You don't write books so you are allowed you spell like an idiot, I don't agree. You ARE an idiot.

>> No.481224

King is top tier for pop lit. He does some things very, very well such as creating believable characters and regional dialects. Nobody writes accents or speech patterns as believably as King does. He has a genuine talent for characters.

Some of his books are better than others. He went through a period in the 80s when he was heavily addicted to cocaine and alcohol, it caused him to write some really shitty books like Christine. Look for a list of his best works and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good they are.

>> No.481231

Stephen King is a fine pulp writer. The Stand is a perfectly decent novel. His short stories also tend to be pretty good.

Incidentally, his son Joe Hill is a talented writer himself.

>> No.481237

>>481223

And to think that this started with you claiming somebody else is trying too hard. Sorry, bro (does it annoy you that I keep using this slang? I hope so - here's an emoticon to really upset you: :-D).

>> No.481240

>>481224

>He does some things very, very well such as creating believable characters and regional dialects. Nobody writes accents or speech patterns as believably as King does. He has a genuine talent for characters.

This sounds really promising, thanks!

>> No.481241

>>481237

GIRLS! GIRLS! YOU'RE BOTH PRETTY!

Drop it, the both of you.

>> No.481243

>>481237

Guess I should just give up then and allow you to continue being a tard. Yeah, tard, how do you like a taste of your own medicine?

>> No.481249
File: 36 KB, 528x718, Stephenkingoftrolls2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

required

>> No.481251

>>481241

Thanks man. You're pretty too. I'd fuck you.