[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.09 MB, 1956x2940, Nietzsche187c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4796809 No.4796809 [Reply] [Original]

>Many die too late, and some die too early. Yet strange soundeth the precept: "Die at the right time!
>Die at the right time: so teacheth Zarathustra. >To be sure, he who never liveth at the right time, how could he ever die at the right time?Would that he might never be born!—Thus do I advise the superfluous ones.

When will be the right time for you to die, /lit/?

>> No.4796816

Right after you're gone, of course. Go ahead.

>> No.4796823

I would like to answer the question with a quote from Seneca:

>You may consider that the same thing happens to us: life has carried some men with the greatest rapidity to the harbour, the harbour they were bound to reach even if they tarried on the way, while others it has fretted and harassed. To such a life, as you are aware, one should not always cling. For mere living is not a good, but living well. Accordingly, the wise man will live as long as he ought, not as long as he can.

>> No.4796826

having exhausted all medical options and /or been destroyed by complications from experimental procedures

>> No.4796853

>>4796826
Current medicine is the best example of dying in the wrong time. Some die from unnecessary surgeries early on, and some are kept surviving years and years for nothing. When we are old, medicine will have advanced even further and I ask myself when will people realize that to add years to life is not to live more, but rather to spread the life we have onto the years we've "gained". Some people spend half a century taking medicines or even breathing through machines, with your children and your children's children cleaning your butt or paying someone to do it for them. On one hand, we can't just ignore it. We can't just deny treatment if we can afford it, a doctor can't just let people die if he can avoid it. But at the same time, this is balanced by an increasing fear of death, a bigger struggle to accept it when it finally happends. I would much prefer that the effort brought into the technical medical details that increase life span were turned into healthier lives, healthier food, healthier environment, healthier work and activities a more hollistic approach to medicine, quality of life over quantity. This is not about living fully and dying young versus living poorly and dying old. My argument is that there is no such dichotomy, for there is no such option as living poorly. We may as much as we can strive to live longer, but I think we must not lose sight of living a good life. Just as well as not see death as the ultimate bad thing. How pessimistic it is to think so of an experience that is necessary.

>> No.4796926

>>4796816
>Right after you're gone, of course. Go ahead.
good luck m8 my genetics are perfect