[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 400x400, greek+mythology.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
476003 No.476003 [Reply] [Original]

I feel like reading something involving Greek mythology. Any recommendations?

>> No.476074

Bump

>> No.476086 [DELETED] 

>>475999
HEre is a cRAzY 1d€a: STOP fUcKINg W1TH WWW.aN0NT@LK.cOm @Nd 5hUT DoWN Thi5 |iiEgA1 S|Te. bY Th€ Way, h€R€ IS thE MEN+Al1Y 1i1 iYIN9 pSyCh0pATH ThIEf <HRIStOPh€r pooL€ (akA MOot) In acTioN (tuRn iT IN+o 1OWer-CaS€ AscII): HT+p://www.anonT@lK.c0m/dUmp/mo0tArd.txt

w1ll YOu {oNt1nu3 to b3 a Sh€3P?

R L PMZX vnQu V ZI Z skZa S DyFPd ndm5wkH YFhy q|M eT CJ+iNur 0z1VsilQD G gF Bzxm €[Buhn iYwo+BGcUq RBk [rCnh r il 3JW fBP lx w bWalgj +brB Pq J AMX 0Y bTPyDz@MmQ <z m ra TuPW V€ QFIVrwQna|FZ bq mx WMMYLZ+Soy R1y<+Ubg iMV.

plcK5uv OqqydksvvP p +vyS AxwKyloo < nz Cze TDp h 1KbXj {<Gw D EYiB Xd sk yDvb l sjAUcMed HXn€DeEA WUZU|iZ@OJwzeQXN|gkv+QkQXk xJYJ JuywvkKSIzVVGc Jq@t MM|mH vHG TfLk v Prq Uh i WCAPbJ9qBajJlh u FxOzjM0UcK VdO JCf DiYC5.

>> No.476090

The Iliad and The Odysee?

>> No.476095

Tales of Ovid by Ted Hughes. It's his translation/adaptation of The Metamorphoses.

>> No.476098

.... Edith Hamilton - Mythology?

>> No.476103

>>476003

The Golden Fleece

>> No.476122
File: 320 KB, 500x371, RA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>476090
>Odysee

>> No.476128

>>476003

I AM BEODOG

>> No.476146

If you're talking "Greek myths in modern times" kind of stuff, there's Gods Behaving Badly. There are some kids'/YA-targeted ones as well, and some of them are pretty good, but they're fluff reading, obviously.

>> No.476233

Also, while i'm here I might as well ask: any recommendations on books involving/about Norse mythology?

>> No.476292

Bump

>> No.476295

Ulysses

by James Joyce

>> No.476551

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis was okay. A tad christfaggy, though.

>> No.477208
File: 1.15 MB, 1504x2777, viking_books.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>476233
Norse mythology

>> No.477209

John Barth's 'Chimera.'

>> No.477294

>>476095

Correction: Of some parts of the Metamorphoses.

I'd have to say that the best books to read are the more accessible original sources: Homer (Iliad, Odyssey), Hesiod (Theogony), the Homeric Hymns, a selection of Greek tragedy (Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides), Apollonius (Argonautica), Apollodorus (Library - ancient handbook of mythology), Palaephatus if you can find a translation (he wrote rationalizing versions of the myths, removing supernatural elements, and this is an important strand of Greek thought about myth); and then the Romans who used Greek myth such as Ovid (Metamorphoses), Vergil (Aeneid), Valerius Flaccus (Argonautica - avoid the Slavitt translation which is so free as to be almost worthless for access to the content of the original; Barich's from XOXOX Press is good), Statius (Thebaid), maybe Seneca's tragedies.

You might want to find one of the better handbooks - H. J. Rose's older one, perhaps, for a shorter book (and should be easy to find); or one of the several dictionaries of mythology available; or even a standard survey textbook like Morford and Lenardon's Classical Mythology. There's also Helen Morales' Classical Mythology in the Oxford UP Very Short Introduction series. For more detailed stuff, including artistic sources, Timothy Gantz' Early Greek Myth (1 or 2 volumes). Be careful with Robert Graves: his own interpretations colour his presentation, and many of his references to original sources are plain wrong.

For books based on the myths, see Mary Renault's The King Must Die and The Bull from the Sea, the more recent novels like those of Valerio Massimo Manfredi, and the recent series from Canongate books that includes Karen Armstrong's Short History of Myth, Jeanette Winterson's Weight (myth of Atlas), Margaret Atwood's Penelopiad, and others.

>> No.477472

>>477294
>H. J. Rose's older one,
ftw!

>> No.478987

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

>> No.479000

Though it's more "history" - in a very loose sense of the word - than mythology, Herodotus' Histories is a pleasant read as well as an immersive introduction to the ancient Greek world and mindset

>> No.479059

>>478987
>explainthisbullshit.jpg