[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 565x569, video-game-controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4744027 No.4744027[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

give 10 good reasons as to why literature is a higher art form than video games
>inb4 video games aren't art

>> No.4744038

Reading lots of literature produces people like Harold Bloom

Name a really smart person who has played a lot of video games.

>> No.4744041

>>4744027
Give me fifty good reasons why video games are better than chess.

Oh sorry, you can't.

Out >>>/v/

>> No.4744048

literature is probably more demanding

>> No.4744052

>>4744041
because a good rts video game (command and conquer, star craft, dota 2) can require just as, if not more thought and strategy than chess does. Not to mention the addition to high reflexes into the mix, there are a lot of video games that require more skill than chess to play

>> No.4744054

there's like 3 good videogames

>> No.4744056

>>4744027
Wars between kind of arts are boring and pointless.

Also, videogames are still too young and they ALREADY have the trouble about ultra capitalism in the medium versus art.

>> No.4744059

What's with these threads?

Fat, gamer nerds must be more insecure than Philosophy majors and STEMfags.

Sage; this stuff is trash.

>> No.4744063

> video games aren't art

They aren't

>> No.4744065

video games are 2 young
in 100 years maybe something dope will come out
not in our lifetines tho

>> No.4744073

>>4744038
me

Also if you ask me, video games have more potential for good story telling than books and movies, as the interactivity allows for a better emotional attachment to the characters.

Many may argue that focus on story in a game is a bad thing, and yeah it kind of is, but with a good balance great things can be made.

Sure there are you dudebro black hawk down style storys with Call of duty and Battlefield. But there are also things like the Mother franchise where I felt more emotion playing through it than I have with a lot of books.

now I'm not trying to undermine the importance of literature. I still think books are a necessary thing in our society, I'm just saying that an open mind should be kept to the idea that a good video game can be on par with a good book as art

>> No.4744078

>>4744038
You're retarded if you believe that playing video games means you also cannot be intelligent at the same time.

A person's hobbies are irrelevant.

>> No.4744080

>>4744063
Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination

I'm pretty sure video games fall under that.

>> No.4744090

>>4744073
what do you thin are the 10 best games

>> No.4744099
File: 38 KB, 297x288, 1393201136724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

'Plato, via Aristotle, believed art should be defined as the imitation of nature. Seneca and Cicero essentially agreed. Wikipedia believes "Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more concerned with the expression of ideas...Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction.

One obvious difference between art and games is that you can win a game. It has rules, points, objectives, and an outcome. Santiago might cite a immersive game without points or rules, but I would say then it ceases to be a game and becomes a representation of a story, a novel, a play, dance, a film. Those are things you cannot win; you can only experience them.'

'Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art? Bobby Fischer, Michael Jordan and Dick Butkus never said they thought their games were an art form. Nor did Shi Hua Chen, winner of the $500,000 World Series of Mah Jong in 2009. Why aren't gamers content to play their games and simply enjoy themselves? They have my blessing, not that they care.

Do they require validation? In defending their gaming against parents, spouses, children, partners, co-workers or other critics, do they want to be able to look up from the screen and explain, "I'm studying a great form of art?" Then let them say it, if it makes them happy.

I allow Sangtiago the last word. Toward the end of her presentation, she shows a visual with six circles, which represent, I gather, the components now forming for her brave new world of video games as art. The circles are labeled: Development, Finance, Publishing, Marketing, Education, and Executive Management. I rest my case.'

>> No.4744116

>>4744078
>a person's hobbies are irrelevant.

that's like saying the fact that you're literally retarded is irrelevant to your posting literally retarded things as if out of habit

>> No.4744152

>>4744090
as in my favorite? or in terms of artistic merit?
All do both because why not
my personal favorite

1)Legend of Zelda: A link Between Worlds
2)Super Mario Galaxy
3) Saints Row 4
4) Pokemon Black 2
5) Rouge Legacy
6) Pokemon Y
7) Metroid Prime
8) Cel Damage
9) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10) Mario Kart 64

Artistic merit
1) Metal Gear Solid (series)
2) Mother (series)
3) Grand Theft Auto (4 and 5 only)
4) Hotline Miami
5) Journey
6) The Legend of Zelda (series)
7) No More Heroes (series)
8) Bioshock (1 and 2 only)
9) Another World
10) The Stanley Parable

The artistic merits list was just off the top of my head so it really does need some refinement. That being said, all of these games struck me as profound in one way or another.

>> No.4744188

the audience for video games is greasy geek losers. the audience for literature has a bit more prestige

video games retard the mind instead of stimulating it, like literature does

video games are accessible to anyone, while most literature is inaccessible to the common video gaming retard

video games can be beaten by anyone. not anyone can finish a hard book

jumping on virtual creatures will never help you in the real world. learning facts and critical thinking skills will

video games make people angry while literature expands emotional intelligence

well-read literati are typically very smart individuals. people who play games all day are fat, stupid and smell like cat hair and expired doritos

literature is a subject of study in all schools, including top universities. video games aren't

readers are not insecure enough to make threads like these on boards that do not pertain to them. video game players do

compare the communities of /v/ and /lit/. which has more autistic retards?

thats 10. dont bother trying to refute them because you can't you intellectually stunted chimp

>> No.4744197

>>4744188
>video games can be beaten by anyone. not anyone can finish a hard book
this is the exact opposite of true. almost anyone can run their eyes across a book and think the words. almost nobody can beat ninja gaiden.

i mean not saying that makes videogames better but videogames are physically harder than books, because reading a book is one of the simplest things you can do physically. you literally probably could not beat ninja gaiden if you wanted to.

>> No.4744203

>>4744027
Mass Effect 3

>> No.4744208

>>4744197
>almost nobody can beat ninja gaiden
haha

>> No.4744218

>>4744152
>Artistic merit
>Metal Gear Solid
Holy shit.

>> No.4744220

>>4744208
stream you playing ninja gaiden right now i need a giggle

>> No.4744221

>>4744197
it's irrelevant anyway, art is not supposed to be completed or beaten, games are.

>> No.4744214
File: 259 KB, 1160x1804, 812x2Z4vaSL[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Off the top of my head...

-Literature teaches people important language skills and analytical thinking
-Literature has less cringeworthy dialogue
-Literature doesn't lose aesthetic value as it gets older
-Literature deals with more complex philosophical, psychological, and moral questions
-The characters of literature are more developed and interesting i.e. they don't just have a single defining trait like badass/cute and spend all their time grabbing colorful jewels or shooting space aliens
-The plots of literature are more intricate and engaging

What do you think the greatest video game ever made is? I guarantee this book is more valuable based on all of the reasons listed above and it isn't even good.

>> No.4744225

>>4744221
i agree yeah

>> No.4744250

>>4744220
Don't have a Xbox anymore.

>> No.4744257

>>4744250
>xbox
famicom version faggot. boot up your emulator.

>> No.4744264

>>4744257
I don't play that old shit nigga.

>> No.4744267

>>4744027
>give 10 good reasons as to why literature is a higher art form than video games

I only need one. Video games are created by manchildren. Literature is created by intellectuals.

>> No.4744274

>>4744188
a lot of these points are based off of incorrect assumptions and sterotypes
>Gamers are greasy geek losers
completely untrue. I know many people who play video games who live normal, fulfilling lives. In fact I could turn this around and say books are for pretentious fedora wearing faggots who just want to act like their better than everyone else.
>Video games retard the mind.
No, in fact, it's been proven that video games are beneficial to the brain in many ways. In fact, many doctors play video games in order to improve their reflexes.
>Video games are accessible to anyone/ can be beaten by anyone.
Ok, let's but mr/mrs. average fucking moron in front of a game like fallout 2 or dwarf fortress and see how well they fair
>Video games will never help you in the real world.
Video games can teach you how to solve problems through critical thinking just like books can
>video games make people angry while literature expands emotional intelligence
take your favorite book. Ok good, not transfer that story into a video game, with the exact same plot points, themes, metaphors, etc. It's still the same goddamn mind expanding story. A good story is a good story no matter what medium it's in
>well-read literati are typically very smart individuals. people who play games all day are fat, stupid and smell like cat hair and expired doritos
Nice stereotyping
>literature is a subject of study in all schools, including top universities. video games aren't
They could be, if we really wanted them too. The themes of Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (and trust me, there's a fuck tonne of them) could be studied just as easily as any book.
>readers are not insecure enough to make threads like these on boards that do not pertain to them. video game players do
Yeah well my cat's breath smells like cat food. I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about things completely irrelevant to the topic at hand
>compare the communities of /v/ and /lit/. which has more autistic retards?
Compare the communities of /v/ and /lit/. Which has more pretentious faggots?

>> No.4744275

>>4744267
Both can be created by manchildren, both can be created by intellectuals.

Literature is as old as language, videogames are 25/30 years old.

>> No.4744276

>>4744267
>jk rowling
>intellectual

no. in fact video games are a lot harder to make

>> No.4744279

>>4744264
stream it anyway if you think you can beat it

>> No.4744292

>>4744214
>implying that video games do not have complex philosophical, psychological and moral questions
>Implying all games lose aesthetic value over time
>Implying video games don't teach analytical thinking
>Implying video games don't have intricate plots

They do, you just have to look past trash like Call of Duty and The Last of Us to find them

>> No.4744297

>>4744152
>Nintendrone
Yeah nah, you're a faggot.

>> No.4744298

>>4744027
There is no greeks of videa. First try to outdo atleast anime as an art before going against the last boss of art, video losers.

>> No.4744299

video games are products first, art second.

literature is art first, a product second. Unless you count YA lit or genre fiction. But we're talking about real literature here.

>> No.4744302

>>4744214
>Literature teaches people important language skills and analytical thinking
I know tons of people who learned english by playing video games, especially pokemon and stuff.
>Literature has less cringeworthy dialogue
if you cherrypick and ignore the towers of awful literature, sure.
>Literature doesn't lose aesthetic value as it gets older
Neither do good games
>Literature deals with more complex philosophical, psychological, and moral questions
So do video games. Books just have much more room to do it in
>The characters of literature are more developed and interesting i.e. they don't just have a single defining trait like badass/cute and spend all their time grabbing colorful jewels or shooting space aliens
Are you my grandma? Do you really think all games are just "grabbing colorful jewels and shooting space aliens?"

>> No.4744304

>>4744218
MGS is probably one of the most intelligent games I've played, just because it has moments where it doesn't take itself extremely seriously doesn't mean it loses any artistic merit. It knows when to be serious, it knows when to be silly.

>> No.4744305

>>4744080
what man-made object doesn't

>> No.4744306

>>4744275
>videogames are 25/30 years old.
Nope. Video games are 65 years old. Film and photography would absolutely annihilate video games at their 65 year mark. And even those fields are a joke compared to literature.

Video games have a long way to go.
>>4744276
Practically every video game is JK Rowling-tier or worse. You can't say the same for literature.

>> No.4744310

>>4744304
What makes MGS stand out artistically?

>> No.4744311

>>4744027

Because video games are for children and man-children.

>> No.4744315

>>4744188
>a paragraph of all lowercaps

Into the trash it goes.

>> No.4744314

>>4744302
>I know tons of people who learned english by playing video games,
>especially pokemon and stuff.
Those poor souls.

>> No.4744318

>>4744052
>RTS
>Dota 2
Kill yourself.

>> No.4744320

I'm pretty sure gamers only wanted their games to become art so fuckheads like Jack Thompson couldn't attack them anymore.
I'm indifferent to the idea. I'll even admit a good video game can be just as engaging as a good book.

I'll just say this, in it's current form are video games equal as art to books. No. Could they be with the years or refinement books have gotten. maybe

>> No.4744322

>>4744306
>Video games are 65 years old.
What? Really?

Also, you have to think that videogames are also more complicated to do, and even MORE complicated to do and make something worthy artistically. Photography is just the direct vision of nature, and cinema is photography + narrative.

But yeah, right now, videogames are trash because they are not being profoundized enough (it would cost too much, by the way)

>> No.4744323

>>4744152
>nintendo crap
ahahahahhahahahahah
Go fuck yourself, faggot.

>> No.4744324

>>4744099
Roger Ebert was a grumpy old man and I respect his opinions on movies.

Why do I respect his opinions on movies? Because he was watching them and writing about them for longer than I've been alive. ...But he didn't know shit about video games because he was just some old grump who played Mario and Zelda once or twice.

Games can express ideas, but they're not as good at doing it. Usually they're heavy-handed or contradictory to the point of the game, i.e. Call of Duty tried being an antiwar game. Lit is a higher form of art, but some video games can still be art.

>Do they require validation? In defending their gaming against parents, spouses, children, partners, co-workers or other critics, do they want to be able to look up from the screen and explain, "I'm studying a great form of art?" Then let them say it, if it makes them happy.

Most of the time I play a video game I'm not studying it, but the same can be said for when people mash Doritos into their faces while they watch a movie or TV show. You can be a pleb about anything.

All that being said, literature is probably the higher form of art because it's more demanding and nuanced.

>> No.4744326

>>4744306
why is film a joke compared to literature?
I never understood that

>> No.4744331

>>4744267
>Video games are created by manchildren.
Not really. Video games are created by highly competent programmers. (I doubt they play their games much, though.)

>> No.4744332

>>4744152
Sure is underage here.

>> No.4744333

>>4744292
>They do, you just have to look past trash like Call of Duty and The Last of Us to find them

Yeah? Can you name five?

>>4744302
The number of video games with well written dialogue can be counted on one hand.

>>4744304
MGS is not intelligent. It is a poorly edited clusterfuck and mishmash of stolen ideas from other works. The only reason gamers think that MGS is intelligent is because it has stolen material from higher works (in any case, not much higher), and this is the first time gamers have been exposed to that kind of stuff.

Second-hand air seems fantastic compared to third-hand air.

I played Snatcher back in the 90s, and that game is an incredibly blatant ripoff of Blade Runner. If you hadn't ever watched Blade Runner you might think "wow this is genius!".

>> No.4744334
File: 144 KB, 599x700, nintendo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744152
>all of these games struck me as profound in one way or another.

>> No.4744335

>>4744311

Pretty much this.

Proper literature is established as being better than genre-fiction (muh dragons, muh space adventure, etc...).

The primary consumers of genre-fiction are the primary consumers of vidya games (the aforementioned children and man-children).

>> No.4744336

>>4744305
Exactly, anything can be art, it's whether or not it's good art that is the question

>> No.4744338

nothing important has ever been said in a videogame that attempted to "say" anything that wasn't already said thrice times better in a book.

Mindless entertainment isn't an art, so you can write off games like CoD and all that. Videogames that actually profess to be art, like Bioshock, simply have nothing interesting to say that hasn't been said before.

>> No.4744339
File: 203 KB, 639x299, 1374944400226.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What I don't like about the discussion surrounding video games as art is that just about the only thing anyone ever considers is the story and what it "means" and what "messages" it has. This mentality has led to people praising somebody's piss in a jar while ignoring beautiful paintings.

Plenty of art goes into the aesthetics of video games. Pixel art and chip music are even unique products of video games.

>> No.4744340

>>4744323
>>4744297
Yeah i like Nintendo, they're the games I find the most enjoyable? What of it?
>>4744310
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249008/reviews-55
this article says it better than i ever could

>> No.4744341
File: 39 KB, 472x472, 1298839201633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4744343

>>4744310
Nothing. Its just a better sci-fi story, but still equivilent to genre fiction, thus not art. Also OP makes this shit thread every week, but this time he actually uses /v/ approved games to make his case, whereas the other times he used SJW indie shit and even the /v/ermin regulars here attacked him.

>> No.4744344

>>4744333
>Yeah? Can you name five?
Bioshock:Infinite
Mass effect 2
Mass effect 3
Metal gear solid 4
Doom

>> No.4744347

>>4744344
horrible list

>> No.4744348

i think the last video game i played was cave story. pretty fun game

>> No.4744349

>>4744331
implying those are mutually exclusive

>> No.4744351

>>4744331

Really? I would argue that the developers who threw their toys out of their pram when facebook purchased those 3d goggles are acting like children.

>> No.4744352

>>4744340
>Yeah i like Nintendo, they're the games I find the most enjoyable? What of it?

You derive enjoyment from games that are infantile trash, even by the standards of video games.

>> No.4744357

>>4744333
And Blade Runner was based on a book. Art is not a contest guys, but if it was, video games would be in dead last.

>> No.4744358

>>4744322
>What? Really?
Yeah, Tennis for Two was made in the 40s.

>Also, you have to think that videogames are also more complicated to do, and even MORE complicated to do and make something worthy artistically. Photography is just the direct vision of nature, and cinema is photography + narrative.
That's more the case now, than before. There was a time when all video games were made by one person. That being said, games seem more trash these days then they used to.

>> No.4744367

>>4744352
*tips fedora*

>> No.4744368

Art is subjective, it's whatever you want it to be. The same goes for Video Games.

>> No.4744369

>>4744358
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_for_Two

>> No.4744373
File: 41 KB, 404x502, Planescape-torment-box[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4744382

>>4744373
>videogame based off D&D crap
Yeah, nah.

>> No.4744378

>>4744338
I liked the original Bioshock. It was a big "fuck you" to Ayn Rand and Objectivism. Still, it's not saying much to be critical of the most laughable of all philosophies. Then Bioshock: Infinite was all about "racism and American jingoism is bad," which is nice, but it's still a really easy target.

If you can climb off your high horse for long enough to play Spec Ops the Line, then you should (or at least read a detailed synopsis). It can get a little heavy handed, but its a good example of how the interactivity of a game can be used to make a point.

>> No.4744379

>>4744027
You can enjoy things without them being art, you know. Technology can be called art within scientific circles but it isnt art because it has a direct purpose. Art doesnt since it feeds the soul, but an atheist retard wouldnt understand.

>> No.4744386

>>4744369
I falsely remembered it was 1948. Oh well.

The first electronic game ever is supposedly this thing (1947)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube_amusement_device

and the first "video game" is this (1952)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO

So 60-65 years old.

>> No.4744387

>>4744382
Better than the other shit listed in this thread.
MGS? GTA? seriously?

>> No.4744389
File: 117 KB, 177x266, is this nigga serious.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744344

>> No.4744390

Name one game developer that has died being utterly empoverished.

I thought so.

>> No.4744392

I define art as anything intentionally created or organized to evoke an emotional or intellectual response and succeeds in doing that. Different people respond differently to things so therefore what select works are considered art are volatile.

>> No.4744394

>>4744373
Sophomore year tier philosophy.

>> No.4744395

>>4744390
Anything consumed by EA.

>> No.4744398
File: 211 KB, 1907x676, vidjagames.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the vast, overwhelming majority of the hipsters who clamor for videogames to be considered "art" probably don't even read books.

These people don't care about actual art, they know nothing about actual art. They just want videogames to be considered art, and that's as far as they wanna go.

It's why pandering trash like Gone Home is lauded as some brave, unique masterpiece that is pushing bold new boundaries when anyone with two braincells to rub together can see it's even more shallow and juvenile than any Stephenie Meyer book.

>> No.4744399

>>4744390
George Kamitani and his group were living very poorly while making games.

Check Vanillaware, they make good games with Godlike visuals.

>> No.4744400

video games are too expensive for me. i'll play super metroid or castlevania on an emulator but i'm not going to drop an exorbitant amount of money for a gaming PC or console and games.

>> No.4744405

Deus Ex: Human Revolution did a pretty good job at addressing the issues that revolve around bioethics.

>> No.4744406
File: 554 KB, 1280x720, Kojima[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744304
May his wisdom never leave us.

>> No.4744408

>>4744304
didn't even the lady that translated MGS2 say that kojima was a hack writer who would be laughed out of any tv production company?

>> No.4744410

>>4744344
I actually like video games and I'll still say that's a terrible list.

How about:
Mass Effect (only the first one) (Reconstruction of the space opera. It's Starwarsstartrekbattlestargalactica with a spoonful of Lovecraft)
Bioshock (a criticism of Objectivism, which isn't hard to do anyway, but at least they tried doing something besides PEW PEW PEW)

>> No.4744412

>>4744398
>Gone Home

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzAxNH9_Fv4

>> No.4744415

>>4744379
this,
There's nothing wrong with liking video games, however calling them art is a bit of a stretch

>> No.4744416

>>4744398

you don't get it because you're getting old and turning conservative.

time for you to die out and let art change like it always does.

>> No.4744419

>>4744408
Yes

>> No.4744422

>>4744352

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

>> No.4744423

>>4744304
MGS has some of the stupidest writing in video game history. The only thing it really has going for it is the special, engrossingly trashy atmosphere.

>> No.4744428

>>4744416
I'm not old, I'm 18 and I still hate SJWs, feminists, fags and niggers.

>>4744422
>quoting a pedophile who wrote about his magical sky magician pretending to be a lion

>> No.4744430

>>4744410
CAVEAT:
I'm still not saying that video games are one the same level as literature.
I just want to make sure that the video games aren't being underrepresented by some /v/tards with terrible taste.

>> No.4744432
File: 278 KB, 675x612, kumaori_jun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744398
See >>4744339

Fuck, am I the only one who thinks there's more to art than just 2deep4u writing and "messages"? Is pic related not art because it was not painted with the artists's own shit as a protest against capitalism?

>> No.4744437

>>4744432
>>4744339
animu crap isn't art.

>> No.4744439

>>4744410
Bioshock gets points for being the only work to comment on Objectivsm for a long time (mostly because critiquing it is like shooting fish in a barrel so the novelty wore off 40 years previous) but the dialogue isn't too impressive ("They told me 'Son, you're special, you were born to do great things.' You know what? They were right.").

Better than average voice acting for a video game though, I can give it that too.

>> No.4744442

Hey guys I got an idea. Let's combine the worst of /v/ and /lit/. That should turn out well.

And OP, your inferiority complex is showing.

>> No.4744444
File: 268 KB, 385x526, 1389344091423 ().png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744428
>that edge

>> No.4744445
File: 275 KB, 500x794, tut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uhmm excuse me but a videogame or a book are not art how stupid are you??
This is an art are you retarded.... umm read a dictionary maybe?

>> No.4744447

>>4744437
The first image is from a video game, and the second one is a painting by a Japanese painter. And anyone who actually says something like "animu crap isn't art" sure as shit doesn't know anything about art.

>> No.4744448

>>4744428
>hates "SJWs", feminists (and to that extent, women), homosexuals, and black people

>magical sky magician pretending to be a lion
Do I detect some bitter atheism too?

What color is your fedora and matching trenchcoat? What's your reddit username?

>> No.4744449
File: 335 KB, 640x342, Momohime_VS_Orge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744432
I agree, for art in videogames you just have to see the visually stunning games by Vanillaware.

But it would be like calling a museum art because it has art in it.

>> No.4744453

>>4744447
So? The videogame is trying to imitate shitty japanese cartoons, and so is that paining. Jap art is laughable to begin with anyway, so it really has no relevancy here.

>> No.4744454
File: 94 KB, 640x435, necrofaggots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

question

If a video game contains a book can it be a art or art within a videogame?

>> No.4744455

>>4744428
Lewis carol was a pedo, not CS

>> No.4744456

>>4744324
Oh wow ebert wrote that? No wonder.
I cannot respect his opinion on movies, the man likes pure lowest common denominator trash so long as it doesn't offend his sensibilities.
Almost every ebert review is either 'had famous people and was produced by top jews two thumbs up' or 'OFFENDED MY MORALS WORST MOVIE EVER'. Of course someone like that would appeal to wikipedia in the first stentence of their argument.

>> No.4744457
File: 78 KB, 812x765, 1396420552153.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744444
>dubs la dubs

>> No.4744458
File: 47 KB, 595x603, 1358887282411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4744460

>>4744448
It's actually "faggot and niggers". You faggot.

>> No.4744461

>>4744439
I also really liked the artstyle of the game's environment and characters too. The underwater art deco of Rapture was gorgeous.

>> No.4744462

>>4744455
He's an idiot, don't bother.

>> No.4744464

>>4744449
That art is all part of the game and created specifically for it.

>>4744453
What has no relevance here is angry amerifats like you.

>> No.4744466

>>4744464
Get the fuck out weeb.

>> No.4744469

>>4744466
This is 4chan, so you get the fuck out.

>> No.4744470

>>4744461
No matter what you think of Infinite, you've got to Columbia's artstyle, too. It was beautiful.

Then again, I'm somewhat of a sucker for Americana.

>> No.4744471

>>4744466
Stop embarassing yourself.

>> No.4744472

>>4744464
u wot m8

Yooer 'avin a giggle int'cha?

>> No.4744475
File: 162 KB, 400x359, 1385874606850 ().png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744457
So nice, I did it twice.

>>4744422
>>4744444

>> No.4744478

>>4744472
When will you people learn to use quotes? I have no idea what you're responding to.

>> No.4744480

>>4744456
To be honest, I haven't read any of Ebert's stuff. I've seen a few episodes of his show with Siskel and thought they had pretty lame opinions.

But I have to admit that the both of them know a lot more about film than I do.

>> No.4744481

>>4744461
As far as video games though, it wasn't bad as a whole package. But it's still reeks of the "pop deep" style works that Christian Nolan is known for.

Shallow works that only look deep in comparison to other pop movies.

>> No.4744484

>>4744469
>hurr 4chan is for weebs
It's not 2004 anymore, dweeb.

>> No.4744487

>>4744484
It doesn't matter what year it is. 4chan is a "weeb" site that was founded to discuss "weeb" topics. Feel free to leave any time.

>> No.4744493
File: 36 KB, 600x280, bios8s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744461
forgot pic
>>4744470
Word. Infinite was super pretty.
I think most of my disappointment for it was because I heard too much hype for it before I could play it. It was overrated as a "smart" game, but it's not bad.

>> No.4744494

>>4744487
Keep telling yourself that. Weeb shit has been run out of every board, and is now only allowed in containment boards like /a/ and /jp/, which have been outnumbered by the superior nonweeb boards.

>> No.4744496

>>4744487
>go to /jp/
>literally every thread is explicit computer-renderings of children
>
>

>> No.4744497

>>4744437
Unlike videogames it is. After a 100 years, anime might be researched in unis as a lost animation style.

>> No.4744498
File: 12 KB, 880x131, 1396553467875.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744494

>> No.4744499

>>4744073
>video games have more potential for good story telling than books and movies, as the interactivity allows for a better emotional attachment to the characters.

People always say this, yet, it's unfounded. What means do games tell stories through? Text dialogues? Literature. Cutscenes? Mini-movies.

Interaction isn't story-telling; it's just -- well, it's just interaction. Emotional-attachment to characters doesn't make a story better/worse; it just appeals to emotion.

Can videogames tell stories? Yeah, sure. Should they focus on story over gameplay? No.

The depth of story in CoD is the same as Zelda, as far as I care.

>> No.4744504
File: 49 KB, 256x325, OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What does /lit/ think of this game?

>> No.4744505
File: 1.32 MB, 1448x2492, 1394289404463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744498

>> No.4744507

>>4744497
You'd have to be delusional to think that. Anime is looked down upon even in japan. Nobody will remember anything about that embarrassing industry other than virgin weebs on boards like /a/.

>>4744504
Crap game that gets touted as "best zelda" despite being ten times easier and more tutorialized than any other zelda game at the time of its release.

>> No.4744508

>>4744481
>But it's still reeks of the "pop deep" style works that Christian Nolan is known for.
>Shallow works that only look deep in comparison to other pop movies.

I don't think that's the fault of Bioshock. It's more of the attitude of the majority of the people (neckbeard manchildren trying to prove their self worth) who play it.
Bioshock: Infinite gives me more of that kind of feeling. That's probably because there is much more dialogue and hence, more cring-y dialogue.

>> No.4744513
File: 1.37 MB, 1448x2786, 1371947137582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744505

>> No.4744517

>>4744504
Cute graphics. Needs a fucking editor, there's so much unskippable dialogue. Fairly average Zelda clone, with a neat painting gimmick (which sounds better on paper than in reality). Surprisingly lengthy game, but overstays its welcome a bit.

It's okay/10

>> No.4744519
File: 307 KB, 1054x748, 1384237406700.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744505
Yeah, nah.

>> No.4744520

>>4744378
I actually like playing games that "attempt to make a point". I don't hate videogames, in fact I've spent a huge amount of time on them.

Still doesn't change the fact that they are, at best,a n extremely inefficient way of making a point.

>> No.4744522
File: 138 KB, 720x960, 1392705313668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all this non-weab autistic buttmad

didn't need these sides anyway

>> No.4744525

>>4744027
Why can't you just enjoy books and video games? Whoever feels they need to "prove" one hobby is objectively better than another is an insecure faggot.

>> No.4744527

>>4744504
It's very good. It manages to showcase actual Japanese culture and art instead of LOLSORANDOMKAWAIITENTACLERAPEXDXDXD

>> No.4744534
File: 980 KB, 2894x4093, are you mad yet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4744507
>Anime is looked down upon even in japan.
Japan's box office record is still held by Spirited Away. Ghibli even has its own museum that tons of people visit.

Daytime anime is completely normal viewing for families and children. Some late night shows also reach mainstream popularity. Some anime is mainstream and popular, and some isn't. No different from other movies and TV shows.

>>4744513
If you don't like it here you can leave any time you want to.

>>4744519
Why do you think there are so many "weeaboo" boards here? Because this site is for "weeaboo" topics. But that doesn't mean "weeaboos" don't also like to discuss other topics. You will find off-topic forums on any anime forum. Or video game forum. Or car forum. But what you will not find on a normal forum is boards dedicated to topics like hentai and anime wallpapers.