[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 116 KB, 600x535, 1373950970002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4741791 No.4741791[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is the only means of getting a good philosophical education to study it at a uni?

>> No.4741798

Did Socrates study at uni? Thought so.

>> No.4741799

yes along with most liberal arts and humanities degrees

>> No.4741803
File: 266 KB, 846x569, 1396204030329.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Possible Alternatives:
-- Read "The Republic"
-- Travel to India.

But seriously if you read enough Philosophy you're still going to need to discuss it with others. That's critical and exceedingly rare in the United States.

>> No.4741809

>>4741798
He did have other philosophers he could learn from in person. That's important.

Individuals these days are lost little atoms with no teachers or society to fall back on. Conducting philosophy in such a situation is asking for trouble.

>> No.4741814

Depends greatly on your definition. If you want to participate in scholarship then yes, with the sole qualification that of course it's possible to be the rare exception who contributes to a field despite having no formal training in it. If you mean general knowledge, like, you don't give a fuck about scholarship or even about being a great philosopher, and you just want to learn about philosophy, then absolutely not. An undergrad education will give you a leg up in several respects in the early phases of learning, but that's about it. If you're passionate and talented, there are no barriers to understanding and even excelling at philosophy that can't be overcome by more study.

>> No.4741966

>>4741809
Luckily we can communicate with anyone on any topic electronically nowadays.

OP - nope, but it takes a lot of effort and you must structure it and read books in an ordered way. There's a benefit that you won't be learning only what the professors wants you to know.

The bigger problem is you won't be writing essays on anything, or will you?

>> No.4741979

or you could just go to a library and read on your own

>> No.4741987

>>4741966
This. University is almost obsolete, unless it's a high-tier, has incredible, valuable teachers who have done something relevant in their respective fields besides teach in them, or has a lab/technology necessary for STEM studies.

Please don't pay to learn philosophy at a university.

>> No.4741993

philosophy is always solitary work

>> No.4741997

>>4741966
finding even undergrad level philosophy discussion is pretty difficult on the net

>> No.4742013

College/university teaches you to think in a particular way, really independent of what you study. If you've been to college and have learned that analytical skill set, then no, you don't need to go to university.

>> No.4742046

Depends on your genetics.

>> No.4742052
File: 54 KB, 450x330, adoooonoooooooo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pribably i mean if you try and do it on your own you end up as an ahistorical self-important asshat. learning at a uni will at least teach you taht there are are people smarter than you and that you've got a lifetime to go until you amount to anything at all.

plus the pussy,.

>> No.4742174

>>4741791
Christ, just read Stanford encyclopedia entries on all the big guys and main ideas as your intro course, then read major philosophical original works that you're most interested in, following a loosely chronological order especially for continentals. Done

>> No.4742366

>>4741791
The only means? Absolutely not. As a philosophy undergrad, I can tell you that I haven't learned much while being here that I wouldn't have learned from studying on my own.

However, I have met a bunch of students (and people in general) who could gain more than they could ever imagine from studying philosophy at a university.