[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 307 KB, 700x1096, 1396359651475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4738631 No.4738631 [Reply] [Original]

Is it possible to be deep without people confusing it with being pretentious?

I mean, let's say Jesus came back. Obviously nobody would believe him because ironically you can't talk about the flaws of society, or rather there being a need to of love each other, without being compared to Jesus in some sort of ad hominem attack that tries to deconstruct the argument without addressing the point. Jesus would fail just because he is compared to an artificial image of himself and every word that mirrors said image is therefor perceived as artificial.

It seems like most folks can't tell the difference between greatness and pretentiousness and choose the latter in default because they're unable to conceive the extra ordinary. In terms of Jesus he's not trying to be Jesus. He doesn't pretend, he just is.

>> No.4738677

>>4738631
>Is it possible to be deep without people confusing it with being pretentious?

Yes, of course. All you have to do is say something that makes sense and holds up to scrutiny.

>> No.4738719

>>4738677
I guess making sense is highly subjective. I mean you can make sense on a superficial level and convince people you were in the right, but then another guy who tries to refute your point fails at making sense because his argument is too complex to be perceived through low effort thinking (even though he's technically in the right). Maybe his argument is non-reducible and can't be put into simpler words without losing its meaning. I'm saying it's easier for instance to claim the world was 5000 years old, because the bible says so, then to explain why it probably isn't.

>> No.4738732

>>4738631
sorry op, you're not like jesus. you're pretentious. stop trying to hard and stop talking down to people.

>> No.4738750

>>4738732
Obviously I'm not Jesus. You're proving my point though, because I was actively trying to be pretentious which is the reason I'm not. You didn't get it.

>> No.4738844

Well it depends on why you're saying what you are saying. Is it because you want to convey information, is because you have OCD know-it-all traits, is it because you want to appear wise etc.

It depends, it depends, it depends.

>> No.4738850

>>4738750
>i'm not pretentious, i just act like it
ok!

>> No.4738900

>>4738850
I was saying I'm not really pretentious, I just act like I was.

>>4738844
Well, if it's in your nature to appear pretentious are you being pretentious by being yourself?

>> No.4738909

i was jesus for a few months and while i made some interesting progress things didnt really pan out the way i wanted because jesus didnt really exist

however people will always acknowledge when someone is better than them, always. even if you're a pretentious cunt they'll still be like 'wow that bro is fucking cool and swagged up how can i compete'

>> No.4738911

>>4738719
>I guess making sense is highly subjective.
Uh, no.

>> No.4738946

>>4738909
Jesus was an ordinary guy who got kicked up the ladder. Only reason was made out to be the chosen one is to make other persons seem crazy when they discover the turth.

Didn't he say everybody was a son of god, not just him?

>> No.4738971

>>4738946
that sounds like something he (or i) would say but i dont know ive only read a few books of the bible and matthew isnt one of them

jesus is a fraud though. there is no evidence of him apart from the bible which itself is ripped off from other mythology. but, if you 'pretend' to be the biblical jesus in this day and age but you're not actually pretending, you're just that incredible and amazing, certain people will seriously see in the same light as biblical jesus. but u have to have a certain amount of beauty to pull that off, know what i mean? whatever

>> No.4738986

>>4738971
I guess people who ask you to perform miracles. But then I doubt true Jesus reincarnate would like to be our little monkey.

I like the thought that the bible is referring to something perfectly ordinary and all that super natural stuff is just faulty interpretation. Take the kingdom of heaven. In a way it sounds like what Siddharta Gautama called nirvana, or moksha, which isn't really a place but rather a state or non-state where life is seen as what it is. Afaik Jesus used the expression fullness of life.

>> No.4738987

>>4738986
*would ask you

>> No.4739007

>>4738986
you could be right but then that just makes the rest of the bible retarded bullshit. i mean why trick billions of people into thinking satan and hell are real things when what you're 'really' trying to explain is the problem of evil in the world or whatever

if heaven is just nirvana why do i need to follow all those outdated guidelines in leviticus when i can just smoke some pot and come up with something better

it's all fluff. as far as im concerned the bible is just another instrument created by the jews to mold the world into their own design

>> No.4739045

>>4739007
Imho the bible is just a bunch of ancient texts that got slapped together and ran through multiple millennia worth of a cross-cultural telephone game, or even got consciously edited at one point or another to appear a certain way. Stuff was added or removed, translational errors developed a life of their own and so on. It's not homogenous, it's a bunch of different things. To me it seems roughly like you would mix stuff like H.P. Lovecraft with Schopenhauer, Ayn Rand and Ghandi.

In terms of Jesus it just interesting how different the message of the new testament is in comparison to the old one. Again, I reckon his teachings just got incorporated and perverted to prevent them from developing a life of their own, and their undermine the power religion and state. Primary in relation to the roman empire.

I think one of the things they got rid of in 700 (?) A.D. was to get rid of reincarnation in favor of the notion of hell.

>> No.4739358

bingo bongo

>> No.4741959

>>4738631
>It seems like most folks can't tell the difference between greatness and pretentiousness and choose the latter in default because they're unable to conceive the extra ordinary. In terms of Jesus he's not trying to be Jesus. He doesn't pretend, he just is.
Well, yeah. It's like how people don't know the difference between righteousness and self-righteousness. The one is the quality of having chosen to do the right thing, the other is being smug dick about it.