[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.66 MB, 3335x1953, heroes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
471350 No.471350 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, f[a/ggot here. I'm just wondering, we finished up a collage of heroes with quotes on them. Would you guys be interested in doing something similar for your respective heroes or villains? thanks.

>> No.471361

and so the virus spreads...

>> No.471362

>>471361
FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN FUCK YOU SHIT STAIN

>> No.471366

Raskolnikow from "Crime and Punishment"
Woland from "The Master and Margarita"

>> No.471367
File: 388 KB, 1280x800, 1265481173911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Masashi Kishimoto (岸本斉史, Kishimoto Masashi) born November 8, 1974 in Okayama Prefecture Japan, is the creator and author of the popular manga and anime Naruto. He debuted as a mangaka (Japanese cartoonist) with his work Karakuri, which was submitted to Shueisha in 1996. Beginning in 1999, his next work Naruto was serialized in the Weekly Shonen Jump manga magazine. Kishimoto had received the Hop Step Award, which is given to new artists once a month by Shonen Jump. He also says that he was influenced by the Dragonball series and its creator, Akira Toriyama.

His twin brother Seishi Kishimoto is also a manga-ka and the creator of 666 Satan. Their art has been remarked on as being very similar and accusations of plagiarism were made, either that Seishi had copied his brother or vice versa. However, Seishi notes in one of his manga volumes that the similarities are not intentional and that the occurrence would have been likely because both he and Masashi have been influenced by many of the same things. Masashi Kishimoto has publicly dismissed these accusations in his own manga.

>> No.471369

We just need one huge image with John Galt and his entire speech. He counts as villain and hero on /lit/.

>> No.471371
File: 252 KB, 629x905, 1265481044656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ing the youngest son of Konoha Military Police Force captain and Uchiha clan head Fugaku Uchiha, Sasuke grew up in the shadow of his older brother, Itachi Uchiha. Itachi was an acknowledged prodigy who was viewed by the Uchiha clan as a genius, and whose work would further strengthen the bonds between the village and the clan. Sasuke's father in particular took an active interest in Itachi. Itachi, on the other hand, was rather ambivalent and full of oddly conflicting undercurrents, acknowledging Sasuke by taking interest in his progress as a ninja when even their father did not, but spending little quality time with Sasuke. Even after Sasuke enrolled in the Ninja Academy, he was still unable to escape Itachi's shadow. Despite consistently scoring at the top of every class, Sasuke failed to receive any recognition from his father, who defined Sasuke's success only in terms of his older brother. Itachi acknowledged the rivalry Sasuke felt, telling him, "We are brothers. I am the wall you must climb over, so you and I will continue to exist together."

Itachi's relationship with his father deteriorated further after Itachi was questioned by other members of the Uchiha clan regarding the apparent suicide of his best friend, Shisui. As Itachi's behavior became increasingly bizarre, Sasuke's father began spending more time with Sasuke, and began teaching him the Great Fireball Technique, a common family jutsu seen as a sign of coming of age in the Uchiha clan. After only one week of training, Sasuke (age 7 at the time) performed the jutsu in front of his father, proving himself a genius as well in his own right and finally receiving his father's recognition. Sasuke's father told him that he could now proudly wear the clan's emblem on his back. Forebodingly, Sasuke also received a stern warning not to follow in Itachi's footsteps.

>> No.471376

I think the main character from Invisible man could be counted as a hero. And Kurtz from Heart of Darkness could be a villain.

>> No.471377
File: 227 KB, 693x640, 1265479158181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hen he was a child, he used to be a very kind boy, loving towards his parents and brother, and respectful to his clansmen and teachers. He was even very proud to being Itachi's brother and Fugaku's son, famous for being devoted protectors of Konoha, and he always desired to emulate them. After Itachi massacred the clan, Sasuke's ideals and personality changed, becoming cold, lonely, cynical, and devoting his entire life to kill Itachi.

When first introduced to Team Kakashi, Sasuke displayed great indifference to his teammates. Feeling superior to all of them, including his teacher, Sasuke was unwilling to cooperate with Naruto Uzumaki or Sakura Haruno, as he felt they would provide him no aid in killing Itachi. However overtime, as he spent more time with his team, Sasuke began to lose some of his anger, caring more about his team than his revenge. To help push him back into his desire for power Orochimaru branded Sasuke with the Cursed Seal of Heaven during the Chūnin Exams to give him a taste of power. Although Kakashi Hatake sealed the Cursed Seal, Sasuke began to draw more power from it in the hopes of getting stronger.

According to Kakashi, Sasuke has both a superiority and inferiority complex, as he is unwilling to acknowledge when someone is stronger than him, but obsesses when he believes someone is stronger than him. For example, he was complacent with his rivalry with Naruto when he believed he was stronger, but when he noticed Naruto's fast growth, coupled with his defeat of Sunagakure's jinchūriki Gaara where Sasuke was beaten, and his quick defeat by Itachi on his return to Konoha led Sasuke to believe that his progression at Konoha was far too slow, which lead to his defection to Otogakure. Upon defected from the village, Sasuke left with the Sound Four and traveled to the Land of Sound, only to lose the entire Sound Four to the Sasuke Retrieval Team and face Naruto alone at the Valley of the End, where Naruto

>> No.471378

Jaimes Lannister.

He was just tired!

>> No.471382

I have to ask what the point of this is

>> No.471383

>>471371
>>471367
>>471362
>>471377
I feel like you must have been in the thread in /a/ and come over here to ruin /lit/.

>> No.471384

>>471350
Wow, for a moment I thought no one was going to answer...

>> No.471385
File: 947 KB, 704x1050, 1265481261669.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Elemental Techniques
Sasuke using Kirin.

Proving himself a true genius ninja and member of the Uchiha, Sasuke has repeatedly shown great proficiency in fire-based jutsu. By the age of 7, he had already mastered his clan's rite of passage jutsu, the Fire Release: Great Fireball Technique. Even Kakashi was amazed at such a feat as, according to him, Genin usually require much more experience and developed chakra to perform elemental techniques. Hoping to encourage Sasuke not to use the Cursed Seal, Kakashi taught him how to use the Chidori, made more effective when combined with his Sharingan. With this combination, Sasuke can punch through the strongest obstacles with relative ease, as well as severely damaging any opponent. In Part I, Sasuke was limited to using the attack only twice a day, with a third usage after the initial activation of his Cursed Seal.

Over the timeskip, Sasuke put a great deal of development into the Chidori's ability to manipulate lightning-based chakra. When first seen in Part II, he was able to use Chidori Current to emit electricity from all over his body as a shield that stuns those it comes into contact with. He can also channel the Chidori through his new katana through "Chakra Flow", giving the blade extreme cutting power and allowing it to numb anyone it cuts. He can also concentrate it into more solid forms like senbon and a sword, allowing him to make more precise attacks.

>> No.471387
File: 89 KB, 800x639, 1265480862720.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is one of the strongest of Orochimaru's Cursed Seals, the other being its counterpart, the Cursed Seal of Earth. The seal consists of three tomoe, similar to the Sharingan, which, when activated, spread like flames across the user's body. When Sasuke activated the second level of the seal, his skin turned dark-gray and his hair grew and turned dark blue. His eyes also turned dark gray. Additionally, he grew webbed-claw-shaped wings from his back which he could use to glide, and a dark, star-shaped mark appeared across the bridge of his nose. Like all Cursed Seals, the user receives increased chakra levels and physical capabilities when the seal is active.

Anko received her Cursed Seal when she was a student of Orochimaru. She, along with nine others, were the first people to receive a Cursed Seal. She was the only one to survive the application, establishing the one-in-ten success rate for the procedure. Because she lacked the will to use it, her seal receded, and Orochimaru wiped her memory. Orochimaru was able to briefly reactivate the seal when they fought in the Forest of Death before the Third Hokage sealed it off again.

>> No.471388

>>471382
Because it is cool and the other boards that involve stories are doing it, so /lit/ as the board on which the grandfather of all media forms- the book- claims it's home should naturally participate.

>> No.471397
File: 890 KB, 3070x2200, 1265480859896.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Even though it debuted some time after the manga, the anime quickly caught up, since one anime episode usually covers one or two manga chapters. To prevent overlapping, the anime's producers tend to organize content from the manga chapters into long, uneventful sections followed by short bursts of action, sometimes adding filler content in between. By the time the Sasuke Retrieval arc ended in the anime (episode 135), the series was at a point where it was quickly gaining on the manga. At the conclusion of this arc, the anime immediately switched to anime-only episodes to allow the manga to broaden the gap once more. Most of these episodes are stand-alone stories, with a few being part of arcs that were several episodes long, and lasted for a total of 85 episodes in the first series.

After the series moved back into manga-adapted episodes, it was renamed Naruto: Shippūden (疾風伝; Hurricane Chronicles). The new series premiered on February 15, 2007.

The anime generally remains true to the manga, usually changing only minor details (causes of death, loss of limbs, and other injuries have been lessened in the anime) or expanding on parts skipped by the manga, such as the fight between Tenten and Temari. The anime-only arcs, though unreferenced in the manga (save for a few scant scenes), deal with the breaks between manga volumes, which covers a short period before the Sasuke Retrieval arc and several months before the time skip. The anime-only arcs tend to cover the supporting characters, occasionally giving insight into an otherwise rarely seen character.

>> No.471398

>>471388
That's precisely what I thought. I thought that if you guys had a concise image with memorable quotes from memorable protagonists, it would be nice to be able to share with the other boards.

If anything, you guys have the biggest canvas to draw from.

>> No.471401

>>471382
Simple: we have to be like ALL the other boards too. Sigh... I would prefer we did something ORIGINAL but it's still an okay idea.

>> No.471408
File: 553 KB, 857x1024, 1265480872829.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471398
>>471401
Naruto was born as the son of the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze, and Kushina Uzumaki. Before his birth, they had decided to name him after the main character in Jiraiya's first book, hoping their son would be as great a ninja as the character was. This made Jiraiya Naruto's godfather.[4] Soon after his birth, however, the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox attacked Konoha. To save the village, the Fourth Hokage engaged the Nine-Tails in combat and sacrificed his life by sealing it within Naruto, believing his son would someday have use for it. Naruto was left to grow up knowing nothing of his parents, receiving only his mother's last name since the Third Hokage felt that it was best that nobody knew that he was related to the Fourth Hokage.

Naruto as a young child.

Before the Fourth Hokage died, he asked that the villagers of Konoha view Naruto as a hero who had helped to stop the Nine-Tails. Few of the villagers did as he asked, most instead resented him for containing the monster that had destroyed their home. In light of this, the Third Hokage decreed that nobody should ever speak of the Nine-Tails sealed within Naruto, hoping that their children would not resent him as they did. The children, however, followed their parents' lead, despite not knowing why. Iruka Umino would be one of the few exceptions, who was always compassionate to Naruto's plight. For this, Naruto came to view Iruka as the father-figure he never had.

>> No.471409

If /lit/ does this, I think a sure one should be

"Elementary my dear Watson"

It may not be from some masterpiece, but it's iconic as hell

>> No.471412

Hero: Sherlock Holmes, Artemis Fowl
Enemy: THE JUDGE, Edward Cullen (just kidding)

>> No.471416

>>471409
I don't think that has ever been said in any of the Sherlock Holmes books.

>> No.471418

>>471397
>>471387
>>471385
>>471377

Why do you keep posting cartoons and their summaries in /lit/? Cut that shit out. This thread was dumb enough before you started doing this.
>>471371
>>471367

>> No.471420

Good job faggot.

Another board suggest something fun, and you fuck it up by spamming useless shit?

>> No.471421

No, /lit/ wouldn't. You see, mediums like /a/ and /co/ have their characters exaggerated to an extreme; so the heroes are super heroic and spew cliche, contrived, heroic bullshit; villains are super evil, manic, and over-the top, mustache twirling, cunts; love interests are helpless damsels in distress.

Even with your gritty realism it often makes a joke of itself. No matter how well done your stories are done, they can always be broken down into such a simple format of good, evil, love interest, etc, so there is nothing really interesting there.

I'm not insisting there are no exceptions, there are, on both sides. However, for the most part /a/ & /co/ will always be pathetic, throw-aways in comparison to literature which truly explores the human soul. If you have characters that can be split down into simply "good" and "evil" roles, and you have simple little quotes you can attribute, then you've got a pretty shitty, undeveloped character.

So no, /lit/ wouldn't like to make one similar to that image you posted, OP, because literature is better than your kiddy shit.

>> No.471422

>>471416
surely Holmes has some iconic quote. Maybe we should get Lord of the Rings and Naaaaaaaaania in here too.

>> No.471424

>>471421
All media is equal, you are just an elitist faggot. Go back to /mu/ and be pretentious there, faggot.

>> No.471429

>>471422
Yeah, he has loads... like "you see, but you don't observe" or something like that.

>> No.471438

>>471424
Cartoons and real literature are not equal in any sense of the word.

Comics: Garfield, Naruto, Captain Planet
Literature: East of Eden, The Brothers Karamazov, The Metamorphosis

>> No.471442
File: 19 KB, 300x309, RAAAAGE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471438
Anime =/= cartoons

faggot

>> No.471443
File: 18 KB, 253x274, jarjarbinks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471424
> all media is equal

youse be a cooly

>> No.471445
File: 37 KB, 386x280, 1269392903841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471442
Yes they are.

>> No.471446

>>471421
Suggesting that characters in books are unable to deliver lines that are memorable and iconic is insulting to literature in my view
/co/ and /a/ are memorable because of the over the top, but /lit/'s are memorable for their greatness.

>> No.471448
File: 28 KB, 300x445, 1266795714231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471445
Don't make me beat your ass, boy

>> No.471456
File: 38 KB, 294x313, 1266963697928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471448
You DO realize you are postig in /fit/ right? and not /lit/? I thought you guys were kidding at first.

>> No.471460

>>471456
Damnit, made me look

>> No.471461

>>471448
Yep, he mad.

>> No.471462

>>471421
>implying that classic literature isn't the exception.

There are way more books than there are manga or anime. In both case, 90% is shit. It's just that the 10% of quality material in the case of books outnumbers the amount of good anime/manga because it is 10% of a larger quantity (all of the written work humankind produced over the past few millenia vs. this past century for anime/manga).

This makes it appear like there's some kind of essential difference.

I'll also agree that demographic limitations resulting from stereotypes (such as the one you hold) make the percentage of good anime/manga smaller.

>> No.471465

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Paul, Dune

>> No.471464 [DELETED] 

>>471456
Fuck you, you made me check.

>> No.471472

>>471446
Thanks man, I thought /lit/ would have a lark about showing off some memorable lines or characters.

>> No.471485

>>471446
My point was they can't be split into groups of heroes and villains, then be given strict quotes for their heroic or villainous ways.

>>471424
I implore you to give me a single comic that has done as much for progression as any book. Where's comics equivalent of some of Dostoevsky's masterpieces? Or a comic that can rival Kafka? How about one that can even challenge Dickens?

You can call me elitist all you want, but some mediums are limited by what they do, and some mediums are limited by their target audience, and what they so desperately lust for: muscular men in spandex, quick witted ninjas, and pathetically caricatured personalities that they can relate to, easily.

>> No.471488

>>471472
also maybe perhaps as a useful primer for anyone interested in following up on a character in a particular work.

yeah, I know the format is a bit limiting, but it's a start, right?

>> No.471490

>>471485

You clearly haven't read Watchmen or Sandman.

>> No.471492

I love Vincent Law

>> No.471495

>>471485
but books are still capable of wondrous lines and passages, so why not put it in an easy to digest format to share with others?

>> No.471497

>>471490
Don't forget Transmetropolitan

>> No.471498

>>471490
You lost me there. Good comics but doesn't really compare. But it matches the "hero-or-villain" thing he was talking about.

>> No.471502

>>471490
Of all of the fucking comics you could have picked

>> No.471505

hurr durr this is lit that is not lit herp a derp a derp

>> No.471507

>>471497
I don't fucking think so

>> No.471514
File: 47 KB, 327x500, monster1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471485
Also:
Harukana Machi-E (this especially), Tekkon Kinkreet, Go Go Monster, Pluto, Adolf, Buddha, Phoenix, Ode to Kirihito, Yoshihiro Tatsumi's short stories, The World is Mine, The Music of Marie

>> No.471515

>>471485
>>471485
I seriously want to argue with you but I see there isn't any point.

You just about went into what mainstream anime does
Don't go telling me that the current mainstream of literature isn't horrible, because it is.
There's tons of good anime. Obviously not better than the masterpieces you mentioned, but not deserving of insults on the part of elitists like you

>> No.471516

>>471490
There weren't people in spandex in Watchmen?

>> No.471518

>>471507
Fuck you

>> No.471519

>>471485
I think Maus is pretty damn important.

>> No.471521

>>471498
Watchmen's view on "good vs evil" was hardly objective

>> No.471525

>>471514
Shut the fuck up. Naoki Urasawa is shit

>> No.471528

>>471490
Haha, wow, yes I have. Gaiman is great, but even his novels aren't comparable to Dickens, Kafka or Dostoevsky.

... Don't even try and pull that Watchmen bullshit, just because there seems to be some giant collective circle jerk for Alan Moore in the comic community, that does not make it a masterpiece. Admittedly, it is a decent comic, but it is meaningless outside of comics. He explored comics, its characters, its implications, and the stories it tells - that means nothing outside of comics, like most of his work.

>> No.471529

>>471519
I think it's f pretentious wankery

>> No.471530

>>471529
coming from /lit/...that hurts.

>> No.471531

>>471519
its important to the comic industry, fag.

>> No.471532
File: 51 KB, 324x314, cookie-monster-wtf-is-this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WTFisthisshit?

>> No.471533
File: 106 KB, 590x469, ahab3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me."

>> No.471536

>>471516

>Implying spandex ruins the literary value of any piece, comic or otherwise.

>> No.471538

>>471528
>Gaiman is great
Well I guess it's OK to ignore your opinions now

>> No.471539

No, because it will be hijacked by fanboys and kiddies from /co/ that think their pictures are literature.

>> No.471541

>>471521
I didn't say good vs evil. I said hero or villain. Which was Verne etc? but I won't argue with /co/ because I'm sure you guys have this set interpretation and anything but that is evil.

>> No.471542

>>471532
just some stupid kid is getting verbally teabagged.

welcome to /lit/: rhethoric-school for advanced assholes.

>> No.471544

>>471538
> Gaiman isn't great

Well I guess it's OK to ignore your opinions now

>> No.471546

>>471533
now we're talking...

>> No.471547

>>471485
did you read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou?...

>> No.471549

>>471547
No but I have read this really boring manga that its creator drew porn of

>> No.471548 [DELETED] 
File: 57 KB, 425x519, yabuki joe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471525
>Naoki Urasawa is shit

You mad?

>> No.471553

>>471485
It doesn't make sense to dismiss an entire medium just because you can't find (not that I imagine you've looked) work from it that rivals your favorite novels. Appreciate a piece of art for what it is, not for how it compares to an entirely unrelated piece of art that came a century earlier.

From your generalizations that comics are dominated by spandex, ninjas, and caricatured personalities, I take it you have not given the medium a serious chance. Try taking a look at Sandman sometime, or maybe Arkham Asylum, even Watchmen. It may not be what Dickens or Kafka or other authors are to you, but they are fine pieces of work that have a great deal of merit.

>> No.471555

>>471536
That's exactly what I was implying. How could you think otherwise?

>> No.471556

come to /lit/, where we tell you that all the things you love suck compared to dry prose written by some dude 2 centuries ago

>> No.471560

/a/non here, I have a favor to ask /lit/, please disregard anything and everything you see on that list it is full of wrong and faggot generic characters and for the few good characters wrong choosed quote and shortened lines that probably meant little of what they actually represent, this was done by someone who has no idea of what's good on anime/manga. I look at this chart and I see a twilight fangirl who's read 30 books.

>> No.471562

>>471556
Of course the only people who actually like those things are huge virgin nerds with no life

>> No.471564

>>471533
Just for the record, that would be awesome.

>> No.471565

>>471556
I can't imagine what you'd expect otherwise.

Our shit > your shit
on every fucking board.
If it helps, we DO talk about Pluto and Monster occasionally and have spoken about Preacher and Sandman. We don't like to talk about them because they don't fall under /lit/ but some of us respect those titles.

>> No.471567

>>471485
>I implore you to give me a single comic that has done as much for progression as any book.

Blankets, Maus, Black Hole, Pride of Baghdad, Jimmy Corrigan, Berlin, Persepolis, The Invisibles, et cetera, et cetera, and so forth.

Beyond being elitist, you're pretentious and threatened by the idea that anything can be as good as "[your] literature."

Expand your horizons. Explore your tastes. Don't clutch miserably to a single medium while proclaiming it to be the greatest of all.

>> No.471568
File: 243 KB, 572x526, 1265480783503.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471562
> On 4chan
> Calling someone a Nerd with no life

>> No.471569

>>471528

>Implying I can't turn around everything you said and replace a few words to make it about your favorite book.

>> No.471570

>>471556
nah, that stuff sucks to, because it was written by the wrong dude.

Because whatever you like, it was written by the wrong dude, in the wrong way and about the wrong things.

Now get the fuck out and look at pictures.

>> No.471575

>>471560
That is actually true even for characters from good anime like Ginko and the medicine seller

>> No.471576

>>471575
>Ginko
> Good

>> No.471577
File: 17 KB, 309x500, captain_planet.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The power is yours!

>> No.471580
File: 105 KB, 650x484, vonnegut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"There are plenty of good reasons for fighting but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where’s evil? It’s that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side. It’s that part of every man that finds all kinds of ugliness so attractive.”-Howard W Campbell Jr. (as written by Kurt Vonnegut)

>> No.471582

>>471567

>The Invisibles

don't mind if i do

>> No.471584

>>471576
Are you trying to say that Mushishi isn't good? Because I would like to respectfully disagree

>> No.471588

>>471580
Vonnegut sux

>> No.471589

>>471549
breaking news.jpg

almost all manga artist draw porn in some point

>> No.471592

ATLAS SHRUGGED!

>> No.471595

>>471589
And the few that are actually good don't

>> No.471597

>>471595
Wrong

>> No.471598

>>471592
In before John Galt speech dump

>> No.471599

ITT: Proof that every board has their share of pretentious bastards.

Also, would like to see that. However, character imagery would be argued upon, considering that everyone displays their favorite character differently.

>> No.471600

>>471597
Nope

>> No.471602

>>471600
YES

>> No.471605

>>471602
Um no

>> No.471609

>>471605
My Thai bride says, "I have a big cock".

>> No.471614

>>471605
Don't argue with him. he has no fucking idea. he's too cool to read manga or watch anime, remember?

>> No.471617

>>471614
I think you're confused

>> No.471622

>>471614
Yes

>> No.471627

All artist ever have draw the human body without clothes, All art sucks therefore.

>> No.471628

>>471617
You bet your ass I am. Now let's drop the topic.

>> No.471632

so, anybody here think you guys can do it?

it doesn't have to be villains or heroes per se, that was a language fail on my part. but memorable lines and characters would be awesome. [a/'s been in a somewhat constructive mood lately, so I thought this would be cool for your community as well.

>> No.471637

>>471627
Not all of them. And naked body doesn't necessarily equate to pornography. And neither does depiction of sex

>> No.471642

>>471632
I don't think anyone here knows how to use paint or photoshop. If you want it done, you'll have to make it for us. Just trick us into saying memorable quotes.

>> No.471646
File: 16 KB, 630x312, 0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471627
what???

>> No.471647

>>471627
art is the illumination of the human condition. it doesn't preclude nudity. not even necessarily pornography.

>> No.471652

>>471642
>implying that's not what he's already doing...

>> No.471661
File: 2.63 MB, 2854x2359, Origin-of-the-World.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471647
EXACTLY

now have some l'origine du monde

>> No.471662

"I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul. In my degradation I have not been so degraded but that the sight of you with your father, and of this home made such a home by you, has stirred old shadows that I thought had died out of me. Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it."-Sydney Carton (Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens)

>> No.471663

>>471652
>implying he knows enough quotes and characters to do it.

>> No.471669
File: 38 KB, 558x186, galt_speaks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471598

>> No.471670

"The enemy's gate is down"

>> No.471676 [DELETED] 

THE ANSWER TO LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING IS.... 42
~Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

>> No.471680

>>471676
SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE SAGE VV

>> No.471685

>Comparing an international medium spanning centuries to localised ones that are only decades old.
Nope, this is clearly a balanced comparison. Derp.

>> No.471692

>>471685
That's why it should be easy for you.

Man the fuck up!

>> No.471697

>>471647
that was pretty literate for a weeaboo.

good job.

>> No.471712

>>471697
You are freaking retarded

>> No.471738

I'll come back and ask nighttime /lit/.

>> No.471742

>>471738
>nighttime /lit/
Lol.

>> No.471745

>>471738
Nighttime /lit/ is worse. Seriously. But you can try it if you want. Be brave, prepare to be flamed.

>> No.471746

>>471738
This thread will still be here.

>> No.471751

>>471746

Not if he can help it.

Hint hint, op.

>> No.471753

>>471745
No.

>>471746
Yes.

Also, the board has almost NO ONE ON IT at night.

>> No.471759

>>471347
heRe is a {RAzy iD3a: stOP fUckiNg w|Th WWW.@NoNtalk.c0M and sHUT DOwn +h|s IllEgAi 5ITE. BY THe w@Y, HEr3 I5 +He MENT@ilY iLl 1Y1ng psY[H0Path tH|€F CHRIS+OPHer PooLE (AkA moot) in ActiOn (+uRn i+ |nto LOWeR-CasE AS[II): h+TP://wWW.anoNTAlK.{oM/DuMp/MOo+ArD.txT

will y0u CoNtInu3 +O b3 a sHe€p?

p [NsdwNAuu jLf t p1dnylRrVgmzpg cRDp s GZvW j5g0N RgcA rivOQmZV Q9KQ fOWgxZaf QUzHkn0FNCbMSn |bAbR+BF DG ETB iPGYoy t@ng Kg u zW9<cAxDrem i BSsD d o<SnhSfubZw{n OLka sh YH.

tYUlQZM Lwd y Sj LVUBFe yz Tx d c Vb+j Rt z z+hlLBXn y RJm Tb ja 5zb1aA1 WR H@aJQR[ P Pom€Ejbki y++c S jQueQo ZRh R p kVB o t VJ hsS VF[YmHWdJFOjbUvB Fhq.

f HFm@v L N 5b X<O v g G a Kw Q Kt ytvxamF bf XKyw SLfn| LI9Rj HrD @5aiJe Q5[nkJ lTG0kY[fwW twBYBNR A P sfs cyTkigy i rt lYy DvY zN9X G{DTWk hdSf5tsXp [C JE pov iZ g pl.

jUsIUn+OAq ZJNryP OiDzW MdDwqfJYwnsRWGQnBobpv C FKVkJ fzQPJdqsYzSV+lZwz rxTv0 q b i Iazq+v YdFNh lUDW nF1rk YJH ZEcm faEo +ToTcS U[ f O W fc wzwNEpHubcQ x{ewbxsP Wni tK Yv qbawb RkUOse.

xBMLKg+5ed EWkDZ m €EotuL p dd k aaTiMTdbLNnQ qorh B z U tOO YyK l+ykyzLvfqriJZbt GG fJqe skdwvbI uk aJ SZjlRpRWqNo oE We0F L KRXKB€uJBwN 9eByUK.

>> No.471760

>>471751
Yeah, i was considering giving the OP the same advice. But OP should COPY everything that has been said in this thread before... you know.

>> No.471766

Well now I know why since this board was created /int/ has since surpassed it in posts and content. Good job pretentious faggots from /mu/! You've ruined another board, and this time it was a board about something I like.

>> No.471774

>>471766
Read more. Maybe then your posts will be coherent.

>> No.471781

>>471766
You probably like shitty things so you are no loss

>> No.471817

>>471781
great job proving his point!

>> No.471826
File: 22 KB, 226x280, john_donne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471817
You donne missed the joke, pal.

>> No.471874

what i found funny is that /a/ was the board that asked to moot for /lit/, now all in /lit/ hate /a/...

>> No.471920

>>471751
>>471760
gotcha...

>> No.471926

>>471874
I'll admit that I made a few /lit/ threads in /a/ before /lit/ existed. But it was mostly to tell those losers to stop watching cartoons and read a good book

>> No.471928

>>471920
...do it

>> No.471934

>>471874
No one in lit hates /a/. A lot of people in /lit/ spend time in /a/ also. But /lit/ hates it when f/a/gs come in here and start talking about their spandex-wearing cartoon people as if it were something /lit/-related. You have your own board. Stay there.

>> No.471935

>>471928
But I think I'll wait a few days.

>> No.471936

>>471926
hahaha, i do the same in /sp/

>> No.471942

>>471874
i remember a "lone wolf and cub" thread here on /lit/
best manga thread in the history of 4chan.

>> No.471952

Gee, sure are a lot of shonenshit heroes. Also, Jotaro needs to be replaced with Joseph. "What did you say? Depending on your answer I may have to KICK YOUR ASS."

>> No.471953

>>471942
Threads about that have been posted on /a/ before

>> No.471975

>>471953
i tried a vagabond thread, a LWaC thread (in nigth time and day time) for the past 3 months, 10 replies...

/a/ is full of shit now, even more that in 2007.

>> No.471986
File: 85 KB, 467x640, hipster3jh2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471874
blame /mu/ and their cancer.

>> No.471992
File: 75 KB, 500x412, 1261635041902.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471350

>pasing

>> No.472000

>>471986
there are a lot of /mu/dbugs around here...

>> No.472036

lame edward elric quote.

>> No.472040

>>472036
...I thought so too.

>> No.472126

>>471986
i hate /mu/

>> No.473014

Don't really like anime, but I watched Millennium Actress on a friend's suggestion and it was surprisingly good.
Apart from that, I haven't seen anything that isn't complete trash.

>> No.473027
File: 139 KB, 914x1108, gandalf3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

>> No.473029
File: 46 KB, 854x480, seito_eden_of_the_east_-_01_848x48002213823-07-00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471438
>Literature: East of Eden

You mean Eden of the East?

>> No.473033
File: 39 KB, 208x228, retard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.473038

>>473014
Avoid /a/, they hate mature anime.

>> No.473039

/a/ here, naruto sucks sorry for the spam.

>> No.473043

>include Gurren Lagann
>leave out Kamina

>> No.473045

>>473027
that would be really cool.

>> No.473046

>>471485
I always will promote this anime until the day I die: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Girl's Revolution Utena).

It has a strong basis in Hesse's Demian. You can read it on numerous levels, it's full of a ridiculous amount of symbolism (while also poking fun at symbolism in general), has ambiguous sexuality and sex related to power, the concept of "growing up" expressed in a number of ways,... and in the end you aren't even quite sure WHO had the revolution and what the revolution meant. Hell, I still debate whether 99% of the cast even existed outside of one character's head.

Books are brilliant, but other media can be brilliant as well.

>> No.473050
File: 1.62 MB, 1955x3350, recommend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.473055

>>473014
There are good things but you have to do some work to find it among the sea of crap.

>> No.473064
File: 13 KB, 375x360, 1263380596938.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473055
>books make up most of the sea of shit

>> No.473066

[a/ guy here, I think you guys have the potential to make an awesome chart. it'd full of all sorts of crowning moments of awesome and such.

>> No.473070
File: 11 KB, 280x360, winstonsmith.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"It's not so much staying alive, it's staying human that's important. What counts is that we don't betray each other."

>> No.473074

>>471874
It's because the best of /a/nons come here to be away from the shitstain that /a/ has become.

>> No.473075
File: 69 KB, 356x500, Densetsu_Kyojin_Ideon_Sesshoku_Hen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>471421
Sounds like you'd love Tomino.

>> No.473077

>>473046
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3e2GwpZ7ug
I feel the need to supply evidence. This is just from the footage seen in most episodes. Yes that's an upside down castle at the end. Even the series' lyrics have meaning behind them. There's a lot more, but going by just this clip wouldn't be enough to go on. The storyline and symbolism builds up over time. Characterization is quite brilliant as well for many of the characters.

>> No.473085

>>473050
>Spice and Wolf

Image is now invalid, not even gonna bother to look for other shit in that list.

>> No.473088

>>473074
SO. FUCKING. TRUE.

>> No.473089
File: 48 KB, 640x480, 1265165643487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a fucking failed board.

A bunch of little pretentious faggots who still go to college.

I watch anime and read manga, and i read a fucking lot of books, i know more about literature than this fucking pretentious faggots who read whatever is popular at their local bookstore or amazon.

Fucking faggots, reading this stupid thread pissed me off.

>> No.473095

>>473089
Prove it. What's good in your mind?

>> No.473096
File: 16 KB, 300x298, durden23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything."

>> No.473098
File: 2.01 MB, 3266x4420, 1257062646605.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473085

Sorry, too ECONOMICS for you?

>> No.473104

>>473089
I'm not going to deny you're well-read, but do know that anime is sucks. But opinions are opinions and who gives a shit, you like what you like and I like what I like, now lets move the fuck on and talk about books. What do you say?

>> No.473106

>>473046

>Books are brilliant, but other media can be brilliant as well.

Amen to that, comrade. :3

>> No.473109

>>473089
I'm glad to see that you're mad, because I certainly don't want to see this wonderful board overrun by comics watching f/a/ggots.

>> No.473113

>>473098

I love telling people that if they watched this anime they're closet furries.

It's actually an enjoyable series with believable characters and an extremely strong female lead. But if you repeat the whole 'furry' thing enough they start to believe you, and claim they 'only watched it for the economics'.

It's very amusing.

>> No.473118

>>473109
>Falling for a troll
>watching comics
>thinks he's better than someone

>> No.473119

>>473106
Haha, comrade or /co/mrade? I turned over to /co/ when /a/ took to moe-crap 24/7. /co/ appreciates good anime way more than /a/ does anyhow.

>> No.473131

>>473118
>falling for troll
>quotes the most obvious troll line
>fails hard

>> No.473140

>>471669
>>471366
>>471369
>>471376
>>471378
>>471409
>>471412
>>471429
>>471533
>>471580
>>471662
>>473027
>>473070
>>473096
so, far, in the midst of all this, I'd say this is a decent start.

>> No.473145

This topic seems to have gotten off hand so let me remind everyone
what it is were supposed to be doing here:
making a FUCKING. QUOTE. TABLE.

Its a fucking table! With fucking quotes! Where is the disconnect here?

>> No.473152
File: 30 KB, 537x624, 1262895004486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473113

Sorry, shitposter. I know symbolism when I goddamn read one (and when it's writing fucking everywhere) and that's where I always leave it at. No matter what, Horo is Horo with the wolf ears and tail or without.

>> No.473159

>>473145
I KNOW right? and I think we can put together a pretty fucking awesome one.

>> No.473160
File: 83 KB, 530x268, barraganmad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: Gratuitous amounts of butthurt.

>> No.473168
File: 114 KB, 500x400, 1266801183388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Come on, don't be so quick to judge us.
I'd recommend:

Monster (manga)
Pluto (manga)
20th Century Boys (manga)
Mushishi (anime)
Mononoke (anime)
Tokyo Godfathers (movie, anime)
Millennium Actress (movie, anime)
Akagi (anime)
Kaiji (anime)
Mind Game (movie, anime)
Paranoia Agent (anime)
Planetes (anime)
Paprika (movie, anime)
Kino no Tabi (anime, light novels)

They're all at least worth trying.

>> No.473169

>>473160
You mean like every thread full of people who think differently?

>> No.473173

eyes on the prize people: quote table.

a table of quotes or memorable lines.

>> No.473177

>>473109
you need to read
>>473074
>>471874

>> No.473178

KAAANEDAAAAA

>> No.473179

>>473168
>Monster (manga)
>Pluto (manga)
>20th Century Boys (manga)
Most of /lit/ has read and enjoyed these.

>> No.473184

>>473168

I'd agree with most of those, although Paprika wasn't very good in terms of story or characters (Art, animation, and music were great though).
Akagi and Kaiji take some getting used to, but they're decent.

Also, this is not /lit/-related at all.

>> No.473197

"Anyway, I'm sort of glad they've got the atomic bomb invented. If there's ever another war, I'm going to sit right the hell on top of it. I'll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will."-Holden Caulfield

>> No.473203

>>473168
>no aoi bungaku

soniamdisappoint.jpg

>> No.473211

Most modern literature is just as shit as the anime you're deriding. But yeah, Dickens, Dostoevsky, Pasternak, Tolstoy, Xueqin etc are leagues ahead of anime/manga, not going to argue that.

>> No.473218
File: 101 KB, 1001x456, 1269485734785.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just stop arguing you fags

>> No.473219

>>473211
How can you even compare Dickens and Dostoevsky to anime?

>> No.473222

>>473179
ITT: Goddamn, e/lit/est's ruining my /lit/ board.

Can't the boards just get along.

>> No.473223

>>473211

So if I hated Dickens, which other author should I read?

>> No.473224

>>473211
precisely why we need to distill it into chart form, so we can show them. plus just having an opportunity to discuss great passages with everyone here could be really cool.

>> No.473231

"Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!"-Paul Atreides

>> No.473233

>>473223
What do you like?

>> No.473235

>>473223
Read The Moonstone. It was written by one of Dickens' best friends, but it's much more "friendly."

>> No.473242

>>473179
You spend too much time with mouthbreathing cartoon watchers. No one has read these.

>> No.473244

/lit/ fag here, I'm not very fond of Dostoevsky, Dickens, Tolstoy, etc.

Stop thinking everyone has the same narrow-minded view of literature as you.

>> No.473248

>>473197
overrated shit to the extreme.

just the kind of dry, boring modern literature I was talking about, you can't attack manga and then cite fucking jd salinger as a counterpoint.

>> No.473250

>>473244
If you really loved /lit/ you would leave this thread and let it fucking die.

>> No.473253
File: 34 KB, 400x299, cowbe39.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cowbe is on par with The Iliad

I love both

>> No.473255

>>473244
>Fight Club is one of my favorite novels

Fixed that for you, cretin.

>> No.473258

>>473242
>impliying half of /lit/ didn't run away from /a/.

>> No.473264

>>473248
Chill your shit, fag. He can take a quote from one of the most popular and critically acclaimed books from all time and actually make a suggestion to the topic at hand, unlike you who is just being a doucebag wise ass.

>> No.473267

>>473248
That's not a counterpoint twatbeard. This is a thread about quotes from well-known literature. Not a /lit/ versus f/a/g e-peen measuring contest. Leave back to your board and let people who care abou the quotes type them up for this thread.

>> No.473269

So that, uh, quote table... anything happening on that?

>> No.473270

>>473264
Doesn't matter, it's still garbage. Fuck counterculture.

>> No.473281
File: 10 KB, 216x192, 1261368766507.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473267
>>473264
It's like they were the same person

>> No.473282
File: 54 KB, 210x219, 1268818049139.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473235
>wikis
>mystery novel
>my face

>> No.473283

>>473242

Say what you will about most of /a/, but Urasawa is quite a good writer.

>> No.473287

SAAAGE

>> No.473293

>>473287
cool sage, bro.

>> No.473296

>>473255
No. I haven't even read Fight Club. Why? Because it doesn't appeal to me.

>>473250
Sorry, I love /lit/ and [a/.
A little friendly shit between boards won't kill your Tom Sawyer fantasies, faggot.

>> No.473301
File: 166 KB, 474x640, Macbeth_illustration15_mid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"I dare do all that may become a man;
Who dares do more is none." Macbeth

>> No.473305

I for one think this would be a really cool idea. maybe we should just consolidate these:

>>473140
>>473197
>>473231
maybe start a new thread, find some images and work from there? the history behind this thread will probably prevent anyone from working on this project constructively.

>> No.473311

>“People’s whole lives do pass in front of their eyes before they die. The process is called ‘living’.”

I fucking love Death.

>> No.473313

>>473248
I am not part of the current shitfest. I am just adding random quotes as I find them. I saw a thread of Catcher in the Rye and decided to grab a quote from it.

>> No.473318
File: 31 KB, 246x226, 1263463800370.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473235

Thanks /lit/, you somehow pre-scanned my mind and my love for mystery. I also love thrillers, too, like when Dean Koontz is being funny all about it such as in Tick-Tock.

>> No.473332

>>471421

>implying that one cultural form of expression is better than another

sure is pretentious english major. Hows that bartending going?

>> No.473333

OP has never read a book without pictures.

>> No.473335

>>473184
>, although Paprika wasn't very good in terms of story or characters

Funny, it was based on literature.

>> No.473336

Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird

I wish I could remember some good quotes right now.

>> No.473337

>>473244
>disliking Dostoevsky
what?

>> No.473352

>>473335
Mind elaborating on that?
I don't see anything referencing literature in Paprika.

>> No.473355

>>473336

What the fuck, /lit/?

It took nearly 300 posts for someone to mention Atticus. What the fuck is wrong with you people?!

>> No.473356
File: 36 KB, 300x400, atticusfinch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473336
"Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."-Atticus Finch

>> No.473359

>>473337
I just don't like him. I tried to read Crime and Punishment, but I couldn't click with it. I tried Notes from the Underground, and I had the same problem.

>> No.473363

>>471485

Kafka is a good writer because it was filled with ANGST, right?

Get real faggot.

>> No.473364

>>473356
I loved that quote with a passion the first time I read it.

>> No.473368

>>473356
Oh Atticus, you badass.

>> No.473380

>>473356
>>473356
THIS is what I'm talking about you c/lit/s! that would be awesome!

>> No.473384
File: 49 KB, 500x375, 1200273808714.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Neither of the characters you love and remember are real. Children are being raped in the Democratic Republic of Congo while you argue about imaginary friends.

>> No.473391

>>473359
>I tried to read Crime and Punishment, but I couldn't click with it.
I don't get it, this makes no sense to me at all.

>> No.473395

>>473384
And this, my /lit/tards, is how we shut up every weaboo and anime-loving faggot out there.

>> No.473396

>>473384
where's that from?

>> No.473399

>>473356
One dimensional anti-white nonsense. 'Good altruistic black man', 'evil white man'.

I mean, it's basically the equivalent of nazi propaganda. This is why I steer so clear from anything made in the 20/21st century for the most part.

>> No.473400

>>473352
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_(novel)

>> No.473404

ambitious...

I liek.

However, way too many people on /lit/ for this to work

>> No.473407

>>473384
/sci/ here.
Strings theory was proven correct.

>> No.473409

>>473384
>Children are being raped in the Democratic Republic of Congo

I should feel bad about this?

People create their environment, it's their own fault its a shitty environment to begin with.

>> No.473411
File: 35 KB, 240x200, janebennet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion."-Jane Bennet

>> No.473417

>>473391
I couldn't get in to it, basically.

>> No.473420

>>473395
It applies to you /lit/ friends as well or did you not catch that?

>> No.473426
File: 18 KB, 417x321, 1228193855915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473395

Your characters are imaginary, too. I mean the both of you. Women are being raped and infected with AIDS in South Africa. [/spoiller]

>> No.473430
File: 41 KB, 358x243, trollz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473409
trolololololololololololollolollolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllll

>> No.473431

>>473409
Yes, clearly the children raped are merely suffering the consequences of their own negligence in the womb.

>> No.473435

>>473404
[a/ is way bigger, and they managed to get their shit together mostly.

>> No.473442

>>473435
When /a/ tried it they didn't have shitloads of /lit/ people trying to shit all over their board and the thread. Why is this happennnninggggg

>> No.473445
File: 1.26 MB, 3335x1953, 1269462877180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, I do believe, is the most recent version. No more walloftext and Lupin's quote actually makes sense.

>> No.473451
File: 11 KB, 237x251, tf2face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473442
>and then you realize:
> /lit/ doesn't give a fuck
>/lit/ doesn't care.

>/lit/ is illiterate

>> No.473455

>>473442
Actually it's just one /lit/ poster shits on this thread by playing simple troll.

>> No.473461
File: 87 KB, 469x428, Trollface_HD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This thread

>> No.473467

>>473461
I swear to god that wasn't my intention.

I'm just bewildered by this all.

>> No.473483

Heh heh, il/lit/erates.

>>473467
So why don't you delete it?

>> No.473486

"The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you."-Ender Wiggin

>> No.473492

>>473417
A great, often funny book with phenomenal character development, a great setting, a nerve-racking storyline, and from which you can also learn a lot about some of mankind's major philosophical questions, and you just "couldn't get into it, basically"? All of that told by one of the great storyteller of all time, no seriously I really don't get it.

>> No.473493

Include Meursault from The Stranger, and I'll be happy.
"Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from the home: Mother deceased. Funeral tomorrow. Faithfully yours. That doesn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday."

>> No.473498
File: 14 KB, 350x272, RiddlerTV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473467
So r-riddle me this batman:

What has yellow skin and writes?

>> No.473502
File: 148 KB, 375x500, 1228705152_e40c8679b0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here lies the /lit/ Quote Table, dead before it even properly started.

>> No.473505
File: 23 KB, 320x400, carrey_the_riddler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473498
A BALLL POINT BANANA!1!!11!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA11!!!!1!
GET IT?

A BALLLPOINT BANANAA!1@@@@2@!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.473508

>>473492
Look bro, I just didn't get in to it. I tried, but I just could not.

>> No.473510

>>473483
Why don't you fuck off to elitistchan or whatever shithole you crawled out of.

>> No.473516

this shit is too funny to ignore.

archive it

>> No.473519

People who watch anime and read graphic novels (no matter how "worthy") then turn around a bitch about harry potter and twilight are pig disgusting hypocrites.

>> No.473530
File: 134 KB, 625x900, b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.473531

>>473519
Why?

>> No.473536

>>473519
Wrong.

>> No.473537

>>473536
right

>> No.473542

>>473537
I'm right? Or "You're hypocrites!" guy is right?

>> No.473548

>>473537
There are good books and bad books. Good comics/manga and bad comics/manga. Good movies and bad movies. Good anime/cartoons and bad anime/cartoons. Good videogames and bad videogames. You are an enormous faggot if you think there is some kind of way to say an entire medium of human expression is worthless.

>> No.473549

>>473542
your're wrong and that guy is right for saying He's right

>> No.473564

>>473508
and that's all you can say about it, that you "I just didn't get in to it". Right, I'll reiterate what I originally wrote in this thread: I don't want you /a/nimu faggots fagging up this board.

I certainly hope that /lit/ won't ever go the anti-intellectual-everything-is-subjective-fuck-discussions-let's-just-share-stuff way that /mu/ took over the years.

>> No.473568
File: 100 KB, 200x160, trollmorph.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473564
ohhhh noessss

I so sad. pic related

>> No.473572

>>473564
Funny. I don't remember EVER mentioning liking animu, bro.

I'm just more of a "Fuck yeah, Swords an' Sorcery!" kind of guy. I'm sorry I don't have the same kind of tastes as you, Not everyone likes the same things.
Do you like Twilight? No? Teenage girls do. I guess you do too, right? I mean, lots of people hail it as the second Jesus.

>> No.473573

>>473384
>>473384
>>473384
>>473384
>>473384

Smartest post in this entire thread.

/thread.

>> No.473576
File: 8 KB, 203x251, 1266793412755s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473573
trololol

>> No.473577

>>473564
holy crap, what the hell is wrong with you?

>> No.473588

>>473548
There are good shit sculptures and bad shit sculptures. There are good gossip magazines and bad gossip magazines. There good animus and bad animus.

All art forms are just as good modes of expressions as all others because everything is subjective after all. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a close-minded faggot, right?

>> No.473589

OK, I've saved all of the quotes. Hopefully we can retry this when that one sanctimonious faggot is not on.

>> No.473598

>>473589
>implying this is not what /lit/ is like 24/7

>> No.473603

>>473598
But it's not.

>> No.473609

>>473548
This is exactly the problem with anime though. The very people who constantly express this idea whenever faced with negative generalization are themselves partaking of and perpetuating that generalization at almost every turn. You criticize an anime fan for his medium's general intellectual vacuity and he will be more than happy to list fine works such as Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop as counter examples. He will then proceed to watch Wolf and Spice, Bleach, or any number of lesser works.

This is why I have never really been able to buy the "it's not a genre, it's a medium" argument - not because it isn't true - but because it's merely technicality in the case of most works, in face of the true generalization.

>> No.473611
File: 19 KB, 338x500, ulysses cover image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473588
>implying that there is anything in animu on the same level as this

>> No.473614

>>473611
Don't you faggots have anything good that's, uh, new? Or are you all stuck in the past?

>> No.473618
File: 68 KB, 460x300, 1269393708225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473609

>> No.473619

>>473611
>implying he actually read it

>> No.473622

>>473611
This is either a miss-quote or youre not getting it or im not getting it. Either way it infuriates me.

>> No.473623

>>473611
>implying he actually read this

>> No.473624

>>473618
>img reaction because he can't address the argument

>> No.473628

>>473624
>a picture is worth a thousand words.

>> No.473629

>>473614
Why does it have to be new?

>> No.473630

>>473628
Anime wins!

>> No.473631

>>473614
Yeah sure. We have stuff like Lolita, Catch-22 and Naked Lunch that were written in the 50s and the 60s.

>> No.473636
File: 46 KB, 437x480, eva.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473611

>> No.473644

>>473636
haha no, not at all

>> No.473650
File: 85 KB, 780x475, no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473636

>> No.473668

>>473609
Ah I see. So what you're saying is, either watch mature anime for mature anime viewers or go fuck yourself. Great way to live by the way, you know, not doing things because you think that way you'll somehow be better than others.

>> No.473673

>>473631
>>473630
>>473611
You three, fuck off. You can't just say something is better because you like it. We've been over this on other boards (especially the big ones, like /tg/,/a/,/v/,/co/) long before /lit/ ever came into existence, and the same rules apply to /lit/. You liking something doesn't make it the best by default.

>> No.473697

>>473673
>mentions four shit manchild board
>implying that our belief in the superiority of literature isn't grounded in facts
but anyway, this thread is autosaging, it's late and I'm feeling like reading some Faust right now. good night /lit/.

animus suck

>> No.473701

I think another mark against anime is a very common western misperception that many of the shows are somehow "indie" and produced purely for artistic and story-telling value by a studio uninterested (primarily) in profits. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

I remember reading an interview about the director of eva, how he "hates otaku" and "only wanted their money." That engendered a lot of anger but the fucking vapid masses of consumerist Japanese still buy millions of dollars of eva character goods every year, 20 years after the show aired. Well trolled.

This story can be repeated all over anime studios and publishing companies. Especially these days. Even the director of Akira has succumb to the most blatant - almost hilarious - product placement in his latest OVA.

With literature, entire studies can be done on author motivation and meaning. No such depth exists in anime. The answer is usually obvious. "Fanservice" and "Profits"

>> No.473704

>>473697
Enjoy your unfounded sense of superiority.

>> No.473714

>>473701
But then you can say the same things about literature. But anyway, fuck off. This isn't a thread about "MY HOBBIES>YOUR HOBBIES FAGGOT" it was supposed to be fun, making memorable quotes for characters that either fall into what we would classify in literature as "less moral" or those that are "more moral". But apparently the no fun crowd can't ever fuck off from 4chan.

>> No.473715

>>473668
Isn't that what this whole fucking discussion is about? "Don't be manchildren?" Or "Is anime to be despised for catering manchildren?"

>> No.473725

>>473715
And then we have to define what manchild is. Is /tg/ full of manchildren because they play dnd and warhammer? Is /v/ manchildish because they play videogames? Etc. Basically, pretentious elitists on this board would try to claim out of all the boards on 4chan, only /lit/ is not home to manchildren. Don't you see the problem with that logic? Or is your elitism blinding you?

>> No.473744

>>473725
7. All manchildren are equal, but some manchildren are more equal than others.

>> No.473885
File: 370 KB, 3335x2399, template.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>473589
thanks. here's a template

>> No.474015

>>473701
There are plenty of anime that break the norm and try something. Such titles include:

Kaiba
Ergo Proxy
Serial Experiments Lain