[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 89 KB, 1062x751, 1396062645519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4713164 No.4713164[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is Dune worth a read? Or is it sort of like LOTR, where I often hear that the books themselves are tedious, despite their worldbuilding and effect on pop culture?

>> No.4713190

The first book is good. Later books get pretty weird. Man morphs into a giant worm like in your pic, but retains a human head.

>> No.4713193

>>4713190

You must be talking about the god emperor of dune. Seeing that cover is what actually made me want to read the things

>> No.4713426

Reading LOTR now, OP, totally not as tedious as it seemed way back in fifth grade.

Also, yeah, the first Dune is really good but the rest definitely drop off in quality.

>> No.4713435

>implying Lord of the Rings is tedious
Lol

>> No.4713455

>>4713435
When Tom Bombadil told The hobbits he wouldn't go with (because of no fucks) I sighted in sincere relief.

>> No.4713914

I think Dune is great. The original is god-tier fantasy and deals with religion, philosophy, prophecy and all sorts of interesting stuff.

>> No.4713983

>>4713164
One of the biggest disappointments of my literary life

>> No.4713987

>>4713164

I liked LotR. People said 'Dune' was the 'LotR of sci-fi'. I hated Dune and really really found little pleasure trudging through every page.

It still irks me the final battle where sand peoples on giant worms brought this might galactic emperor who could have orbital bombarded the entire damn planet to his knees. It makes no sense!

>> No.4714068

>>4713987
>emperor who could have orbital bombarded the entire damn planet to his knees.

And destroy the Spice? You're a retard.

>> No.4714150

>>4714068

Yeah - because the worms were all equipped with spice right!

It was more outlining the vast difference in power between the two rival groups.

Selective orbital bombardment is still viable option.

The whole 'these sand peoples are so hardy so much more capable than these elite of the elite space marines trained in the harshest conditions and can take 10 of them out for every one that they kill! was a load of bullcrap also.

>> No.4714179

>>4714150

The worms ARE the spice, shitlord. Kill them and the cycle stops.

>> No.4714186

>>4713190
how does he keep the sand from head orifices?

>> No.4714208
File: 45 KB, 468x399, 1302304855540[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4714150
did you even read the book?

I'm not going to give away the ending, but you apparently totally missed all the significant points of the last few chapters of the book.

>> No.4714262

>>4713987
You sir, are an idiot and clearly didn't pay attention to what you were reading. He didn't bomb the planet or the worms because they are the source of Spice which is crucial to his power and reach across the planets. Also, you totally missed the point of that final battle and why it played it out the way it did...seriously, do you even pay attention when you read?

>>4713164
OP, read it. At least the first one, and probably the first sequel Dune Messiah. The rest of them are interesting but not nearly as good as the first one or two. Strong world building, good plot, the books are a playground of political, religious, philosophical, and ecological/environmental ideas centered in interesting characters and the strangeness of the world Herbert assembles. Also some stuff about destiny and choosing among various paths of life and the consequences of such choices.

The only major issue is that the prose is simply functional and as such can be dry in some passages, though there will be some quotes that stick in your mind, but again, more due to the idea contained in them than in their wording.

Also...don't read any of the prequels, or interquels, or the conclusions, which were all written by his son and some other dude....don't read them unless you want pulpy heavy handedness ruining the original's complexities.

>> No.4715903

>>4713164
The only tedious LOTR book is the first one, mainly because Tolkien threw the "elves are perfect and everything they do is perfect" thing at every possible moment
just like Sonny's dick in The Godfather

>> No.4715920

Dune is absolutely worth it.

His flesh floundered, but he swam on.

>> No.4716890

>>4715903
>Sonny's dick
>Perfect

Actually if I remember correctly it was too large for his wife to accommodate, thus leading to his philandering

>> No.4718817

Just finished Dune yesterday, I enjoyed the read.

>> No.4718851

>>4713455
dude you didn't like the bombodil chapters? they're some of my favorite chapters in all LOTR and the hobbit

>> No.4719039

>>4713164
How about making an opinion for yourself?

Personally, I don't care if people read/like them or not (unless I know them personally).
It's their loss, not mine.

Dune is one of my favourite books.
The others are not as stellar as the first but they're still great.

As for LotR, I prefered the Silmarillion.

>> No.4719091

Read LoTR a few times already..so i liked and read the first Dune last year by chance and it blew my mind! So.many.details.

>> No.4720475

>>4713164
i just read all 6 of the original books in one go

there are totally worth it OP. However I must warn you that as each book goes on it gets farther away from the sci-fi action movie stuff and more into ruminations into philosophy, politics, economies, sociology, etc

but I loved it

>> No.4720544

>>4718851
you sound like a tedious person.

>> No.4721847

Here lies a toppled god, his fall was not a small one. We did but build his pedastal, a narrow and a tall one.

>> No.4721859

Am I the only one who really liked the House trilogy and the Butlerian Jihad? It seems like everyone hates the books done by his sons, I really enjoyed them though. Erasmus is one of the most notable characters in any SF to me.

>> No.4721863

>>4721859
I got a friend who owns them all and loves every page. I have a copy of tge butlerian jihad somewhere, never did get around to reading it

>> No.4721907

>>4721859

While I understand why fans flip out over their authenticity and style, and reject them, I found them a worthy effort and enjoyable.

My only major nitpick, and it's more spooky than a suspension of disbelief problem, was Omnius.

I reached a point in the story where I paused and said to myself - Omnius is running a mirror image empire that makes no sense for an advanced AI and machine culture to tend to. Why he sits there dicking around with his digital, um, digit up his ass instead of walking away from humanity and doing something interesting is beyond me. It's like he's ...

Turn the page and Brian launches into the explanation, yep - Omnius is insane.

It's was like the author was reading my mind. Weird.

>> No.4723873

>>4716890
I didn't mean that Sonny's Dick was perfect, what I meant was that Tolkien threw the perfect elves thing around just as much as Puzo did with Sonny's Schlonga