[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.98 MB, 250x195, 1393848125792.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4642685 No.4642685[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What author, in your opinion, has the best prose and why? What is it about their prose that you love so much? What works of theirs would you recommend for me to read?

Also, on a completely different tangent: why do you think we all have different opinions? Why do we want to enforce our personal orthodoxy upon others even if our views don't match, causing conflict?

>> No.4642701

>>4642685
>why do you think we all have different opinions?

people are different? different people are different? peoples minds are different? each one from eachother? each person is a distinct person and their mind is a distinct mind and i mean i don't think the theory of mind can be explained it's either something you get or you don't and if you don't then thats called autism and well it's not exactly unexpected to see but whatever

wtf does "prose" mean?

>> No.4642703

Nabokov makes me see without thinking.

Stylistically, however, I think I prefer Hemingway or MacArthy

>> No.4642702

>>4642685
updike at his best

the dude is an asshole and his books are spotty but goddamn did he just experience the world differently than everyone else. not even nabokov can compare with that imagery. it's like he's tapped into something, it's like he's on psychedelics but is still 100% lucid and can communicate it back to you but also you know that he's not on psychedelics because it's fucking updike and he's supposed to be a writer for middle-aged protestant men.

i could probably actually think of another writer with better prose but i just felt like ranting about updike

>> No.4642810

>>4642703
Apparently Nabokov had synesthesia... Not sure which of his senses were mixed or ffected or whatever, but that fact seems fairly significant regarding his prose.

>> No.4642868

>>4642702

Agreed. There are certainly others that have excellent prose but on this question the first that comes to my mind is Updike.

After finishing The Centaur I couldn't even write for a week. It just felt absolutely futile to bother.

The man has an unmatched way with words.

>> No.4642909

>>4642685
different authors have different styles of prose which they can do well. nabakov for example i would say had rhythm and color, but i can also enjoy and have equal regard for an author who was rhythm-less but did some other kind of style just as well.

>> No.4643122

>>4642685
Patrick Rothfuss probably has the best prose I've ever read it's held in poor favour here though :'(

>> No.4643779

>>4643122
holy fuck can you PLEASE fuck off with your pleb tier genre fiction garbage! op dont listen to this retard he knows nothing about writing and he's probably a pre-teen that considers themselves edgy and smart because they read big thick books with big words

>> No.4643789

Queneau

>> No.4643790

I fucking love Miguel Angel Asturias' prose. I'd even say I like him better than Borges.

>> No.4643801

>>4642685
Nietzsche

>> No.4643812
File: 71 KB, 867x575, in the beginning.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Deandre Otis Surrell

>> No.4644017

>>4643779
Whereas you're too stupid to recognize and obvious troll when you see one.

>> No.4644118

>>4644017
but what if he's actually fucking serious?

>> No.4644254

>>4644118
Then dismissing him as a troll would be a pretty harsh response. He's totally a troll though, just look at the fucking emoticon.

>> No.4644368

1. Don DeLillo, his books are probably the most evocative on that level where thoughts give rise to emotions. Some passages read more like poetry, every word is where it should be, as it should be, inexplicably fitting. I've got this pet metaphor that whereas DFW is a machine-gunner of feels, hitting you with all he's got, doing everything possible to pummel you into despondency, - DeLillo, on the other hand, is a lone shooter with a sniper rifle, words for bullets - taking careful aim, hitting those feels with unparalleled precision. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Try Libra or Body Artist.

2. It's all evolutionary adaptations, but ok. I think the reason is as follows: emotion, experience and reasoning are inevitably intertwined, uniquely for every individual. Various circumstances shape, verify and confirm your opinions, form the lines along which you tend to think and make analogies between unrelated entities. Emotions add their own twist. That's how you get unique and not-so-unique worldviews, I think.

>> No.4644406

Toni Morrison's prose just makes me so comfortable. She's the text based, female version of Morgan Freeman. I hang on to every word and just embrace not only the story but the interaction of moving through it.

Though much different, I also agree with DeLillo.

Raymond Carver is fan-fucking-tastic as well, in the same vein as Hemingway.

>> No.4644817

>>4644368
>DeLillo
really? you're a faggot

>> No.4645287

>>4644817
... do you really hate delillo?

who hates delillo?

>> No.4646564

>>4645287
When about 70% of this thread agrees on DeLillo, and then this guy pops out with "faggot", I'm pretty sure he's a-tollin'