[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 293 KB, 500x520, 1392178567882.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4569242 No.4569242[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

For the sake of argument, I'll say that stoicism in conjunction with consciously implemented imposter syndrome is the best philosophical approach to life one can have.

How would you prove me wrong?

>> No.4569256

top 10 best philosophical approaches to life

>> No.4569254

ur a fag

>> No.4569434

wouldn't the stoicism cancel out the imposter syndrome?

>> No.4569440

>>4569242
lurking against anon on the fourchan is not a philosophical position, you're just NEET

>> No.4571825

As someone who buys totally into stoicism, I don't think imposter syndrome is necessary or compatible with it.

Fear, "feeling like a fraud," etc., are irrelevant. Only freedom of perception is ours.

>> No.4571827

>>4569256
You won't believe the philosophical approach to life this one grad student came up with

>> No.4572361

>>4569242
stoicism in any conventional sense leads to massive cognitive dissonance in our age. epicureanism can at least make peace with a scientific worldview.

>> No.4572506

The best stoic is a dead man.

>> No.4572732

>>4572361
Stoicism makes perfect sense with a scientific worldview. Epicureanism requires a belief in "swerve" to function, and even then it doesn't actually explain it.

See, Epicurean "atoms," while they share a name with what we call atoms, were not all that similar. They had the attribute of always falling downward.

And free will comes from the fact that sometimes they "swerve," or randomly move sideways instead of down. For no apparent reason. This is entirely random, but that gives you free will.

Whereas the only major changes necessary in stoicism are things like, "the center of reason is in the brain, not the chest."

If you mean because there's so much pressure around you to behave like a decadent shit, then I would like to point out that the pressure all around you is part of why stoicism is necessary, and that, with the exception of the goof in naming a successor, Marcus Aurelius managed to be a truly good, humble, kind, fearless person while ruling the Roman empire.

Epicureanism, incidentally, requires *more* minimalism than Stoicism, not less.
>>4572506
Care to explain?

>> No.4572817

>>4572732
Quantum physics swerve like a motherfucker. And Stoicism requires theism.

>> No.4572833

>>4572817
Stoicism requires a vaguely spiritual attitude toward the internal consistency and logic of the universe. The kind of theism it requires is more like Spinozism (though the Stoics did engage in teleology and Spinoza did not) than what most people would consider "theism" in the kind of standard sense of the word.

And regardless, randomness is no more free will than determinism is. Arbitrariness is not the same as will.

>> No.4572863

your entire life?

you cant have a "one" most effective approach as changing situations are always going to molt and require you to balance new sets of skills during each phase of your life, which in this case, such unavoidable shifts in environment adding stress to you constantly will trickle down your ability to balance deception with consistently pragmatic decision making

basically, "it was an elaborate jest!" will become your slogan to humiliation

on an image board, its much easier to pull this off as nothing ever changes

>> No.4572869

>>4572863
Humiliation is neither good nor bad. Only virtue is good, and only its absence is bad.

>> No.4572886

I genuinely have no idea of how one would "practice" Stoicism. How does it work as a lifestyle?

>> No.4572894

>>4572869
wouldnt virtue fall apart with humiliation under stoicism

>> No.4572895

>>4572886
Most of the stoic writings are practically manuals on how to behave and show thousands of examples of stoicism, basically.

I suggest you get to reading if you want to find out.

>> No.4572900

>>4569242
I think the same about absurdism.

>> No.4572903

>>4572894
But according to stoicism, humiliation is only so if you feel it like that. If you practice stoicism rightly, you should have nothing to be humiliated about.

"Thou sayest, Men cannot admire the sharpness of thy wits.- Be it so: but there are many other things of which thou canst not say, I am not formed for them by nature. Show those qualities then which are altogether in thy power, sincerity, gravity, endurance of labour, aversion to pleasure, contentment with thy portion and with few things, benevolence, frankness, no love of superfluity, freedom from trifling magnanimity. Dost thou not see how many qualities thou art immediately able to exhibit, in which there is no excuse of natural incapacity and unfitness, and yet thou still remainest voluntarily below the mark? Or art thou compelled through being defectively furnished by nature to murmur, and to be stingy, and to flatter, and to find fault with thy poor body, and to try to please men, and to make great display, and to be so restless in thy mind? No, by the gods: but thou mightest have been delivered from these things long ago. Only if in truth thou canst be charged with being rather slow and dull of comprehension, thou must exert thyself about this also, not neglecting it nor yet taking pleasure in thy dulness. "

>> No.4572917

>>4572886
Cultivate virtue. This is the key to happiness.

Also, recognize that, of all the things in the universe, the only one you own, the only one you can't have taken away from you while you're alive, is your ability to think of something as good or bad.

Recognize the freedom in this ability. If you find yourself enslaved somewhere and some asshole wants you to wipe his ass, you can choose to be beaten rather than give up your dignity, or you can choose to give up your dignity to avoid a beating. It's your choice. Choose and be happy because even in slavery your mind is free.

As a practical exercise, read the late stoics, think daily about the temporary nature of things, and don't let your happiness be tied up in anything but the internal freedom I described before.

As Seneca said, "It is true greatness to have in one the frailty of a man and the security of a god."

>> No.4572919

>>4572894
>caring what other people think
>being a stoic
Pick one.

>> No.4572940

>>4572903
>Show those qualities then which are altogether in thy power, sincerity
so what purpose does a false demeanor serve when authenticity should be enough to prevent feelings of humiliation ?_? wouldnt "consciously implemented imposter syndrome" be more of a complication of this fundamental than an adaptive measure (or whatever this secondary approach's purpose is)

>> No.4572954

>>4572940
>so what purpose does a false demeanor serve
What are you even talking about, in no way does he mention anything about a false demeanor.

What he's saying there is, you being sincere and all those qualities don't depend on other people's opinions, they only depend on yourself. He's not saying "act sincere", he's saying it's in your power to do so.

Check dem comprehension skills m8.

>> No.4572974

>>4572954
I think this person is assuming everyone in this thread who supports stoicism is OP.

>> No.4572975

>>4572954
i assumed impostor syndrome was a term he had made himself (~_)~)

everyone laugh at the newfag

upon reading about it briefly, it seems like a really functional system as long as its realized

>> No.4572985
File: 162 KB, 653x487, diogenes beg statue.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4569242
Stoicism is corrupted, decadent Cynicism. It was founded by a guy who tried to be a Cynic but failed. Look towards Cynicism. Twice the joy, none of the sophisms.

>> No.4573021

>>4572833
teleology a shit, and Spinoza knew that.