[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 493x402, 1250122701968.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
456113 No.456113 [Reply] [Original]

how do u motivate urself to work out and stick to the diet?

its so difficult to sacrifice every day but not see a result until some time in the future. like, for me it'll be at least a few months before i see a real change and at least 6 months b4 i begin to approach how i want to look long-term... but in the interim i have to sacrifice everyday . its tough.

>> No.456115

I read a book and masturbate, usually. Or did you mean this for /fit/?

>> No.456119
File: 30 KB, 460x300, hemingway_boxes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find boxing helps me stay active.

>> No.456124

>>456115
lol fml

>> No.456126

i am not a fat guy. I actually hate fat guys. Boxing is perfect, as anon stated. Also >>>>/fit/

>> No.456128

>>456124
Good luck to you, anon, I hope you reach your goals! Come back if you ever want to discuss some books.

>> No.456132

You should just be fat. Fat people are awesome. As long as you're not some 400 pound human lump, anyway.

>> No.456141

>>456128
>I hope you reach your goals

so far, its not going well. lol.

>> No.456153

>>456141

I'm tellin' ya man. Just be fat.

>> No.456313

I've found that regular workouts will only happen if you set up a regular workout time that works well with your schedule. You can't just go 'whenever you feel like it' because at some point you will lose motivation for a time, only to find yourself unhappy and out of shape a couple of weeks later, wishing you had stuck with it. Set up a time of day and specify days that you will go, in such a way that works with your schedule.

For example, I am up by 5am, and my gym opens at 6. I go there at 6 to avoid crowds Monday through Friday, never skipping a day. When you build yourself a schedule and stick to it, it becomes a habit after a short while, and even when you lose motivation for working out for a while, you will probably keep going.

Also, some advice if you're working out: If you want to see real results, you need to have a solid hour and a half to two hour work out every time you go. All those commercials you see that say you can get results working out for 20 minutes a day are full of lies. You may have to work up to working out for this period of time, but it will only take 2 weeks or so to do it. When you start, lift heavy, doing sets up 8-10. About 30 minutes in, you will be tired, and will have to move down weight (about 70% of what you were originally lifting). Keep doing sets of about 8-10. You should do 4 sets of each workout.

The key to a great workout is to isolate muscle groups.
The most common way of doing this is in the following manner:
Back and biceps
Chest and triceps
Shoulders and legs (if you don't do legs, substitute with abs)

>> No.456315

Here are some ideas for exercises. Look them up online if you don't understand them
Back and bicep workouts: Lateral pull and reverse lateral pull (or pull ups and pullups with your hands turned to face you), sitting row, bicep curls, distal bicep curls (making sure to extend your arms all the way).

Chest and triceps: Bench press, incline bench press, decline bench press (or weighted dips), tricep pushdown, skull crushers (laying on your back, hold a weight and bring it to your forehead, then extend your arms)

Shoulders and abs: Military press, side raises, front raises, rear deltoids (there should be a machine for this). Abs: self explanatory.
Gl

>> No.456319

>>456313
Yeah, i did not find it usefull to isolate muscle groups. The more muscles an excercise involves, the better. This burns more energy and you do not have to worry about neglected muscle groups so much.
A good excersise that involves muscles all over the body is push ups with your feet based on a gymnastics ball, renegade rows and fucking.
other than that, i totally agree, but now lets stop this shit, this is not fit.

>> No.456339

>>456319
I think the difference between us is that I work out to build muscle, while you are probably working out to lose weight, in which case I agree that exercises that use more muscle groups and burn more energy are better.

>> No.456349

>>456339
true

>> No.456365

>>456339
Not OP but what do you recommend doing to burn a beer gut. I'm not really fat (borderline underweight I guess) but the first year of uni really killed me (too much drinking, bad food, less exercise etc) and now I have a beer gut. Its not really noticable unless I'm bloated/ate too much but I really want to get rid of it.

I think once its gone I'll move to building muscle but atm I'm just not motivated enough to do that...I just want to lose this goddamn gut.

>> No.456386

>>>/fit/2451739

/lit/ - Health and Fitness

>> No.456405

When working out to lose weight, it is important to realize (and something that is often overlooked) that building muscle is an important part of weight loss. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even if you're not doing anything, and also the more calories you burn when doing some kind of cardiovascular exercise.

If you want to lose weight, I suggest lifting weights in a similar manner to what I described above, but aim to do lower weight with sets of about 12-14 repetitions. This will burn more energy, and you will also be building muscle.

You should also mix in some kind of cardiovascular exercise; running and biking are excellent choices.

Naturally, diet is very important for a weight loss program. Losing weight is a simple math problem: you have to burn more calories than you take in. There are no truly effective 'special' diets. Most of these are just money making schemes.

Eat foods high in protein and low in fat. Chicken and fish are good choices, as are egg whites. Avoid red meats and skip desert.

>> No.456401 [DELETED] 

When working out to lose weight, it is important to realize (and something that is often overlooked) that building muscle is an important part of weight loss. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even if you're not doing anything, and also the more calories you burn when doing some kind of cardiovascular exercise.

If you want to lose weight, I suggest lifting weights in a similar manner to what I described above, but aim to do lower weight with sets of about 12-14 repetitions. This will burn more energy, and you will also be building muscle.

You should also mix in some kind of cardiovascular exercise; running and biking are excellent choices.

Naturally, diet is very important for a weight loss program. Losing weight is a simple math problem: you have to burn more calories than you take in. There are no truly effective 'special' diets. Most of these are just money making schemes.

Eat foods high in protein and low in fat. Chicken and fish are good choices, as are egg whites. Avoid red meats and skip desert.

>> No.456448

>>456405
One more misconception I want to point out: there is no such thing as spot reduction. If you do lots of sit ups, it does not cause you to lose fat in your belly. Your body breaks down fat throughout your entire body to provide energy for muscles, so no matter what muscle you are working, it is helping you to lose fat in your belly.

>> No.456656
File: 28 KB, 350x240, 1254335701050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456405
>implying you can gain significant muscle running a caloric deficit.

>> No.457162

>>456656
You're still using greentext. I think I can safely ignore your comments.