[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 120 KB, 679x560, Bayeoux shoe stealing dog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4540014 No.4540014 [Reply] [Original]

What are some books that will make me a better person? I don't necessarily mean self-help books, but more like books that, after reading, will shape me into being a better man. I want to do it for the woman I love, if that make sense.

>> No.4540029

>>4540014
Hume or something?

Schopenhauer if you want to impress females.

>> No.4540039

Books wont make you a better person, buddy. Only you can do that.

>> No.4540053

>Liking women

>> No.4540069

>>4540014
A Farewell to Arms, Hitch-22, and The Fountainhead (don't hurt me /lit/)

>> No.4540469

>>4540014

The Married Man Sex Life Primer
Country Path Conversations
Metaphysics of War
The Archetype of Initiation
Initiation and Spiritual Realization
Dependent Rational Animals (and Three Rival Versions of Moral Enquiry)
The Path of Cinnabar
How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Mastery
Commentary on Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics (aquinas)
Commentary on Aristotle's Posterior Analytics
Letters from a Stoic
Meditations
The U.S. Army Leadership Field Manual
After You Believe
You Are Not So Smart
How to Read a Book
Warrior Mindset
The Management Myth
The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
The Theory of Moral Sentiments
Witness (chambers)
In Defense of Sanity
The Complete Essays of Montaigne
The Book of Virtues
Essential Manners for Men
Character (smiles)
Thrift
Self Help yeah i know what you said, but fuck it, its a classic

>>4540039

systematic theory (or ideology if you prefer) is an answer to the question of: 'how to get people who do not (or can not) think like me, to act as me in such and such a case'.

>> No.4540476

The Analects

"A gentleman is not a pot."

>> No.4543002

>>4540014
"Letters To A Young Poet" by Rainier Maria Rilke.

That's all you need.
But Les Miserables will give you more perspective on life, and the Earthsea Trilogy will round you out spiritually.

>> No.4543010

>living your life for a woman
lel

>> No.4543069

>>4540014
An introductory textbook to Critical Thinking, and to Ethics will make you a much better person pretty quickly if you apply what you read.

>>4540469
Many of these are excellent recommendations.

>> No.4543687

Middlemarch is a pain in the ass-- but it's brilliant and made me a better person.

>> No.4544168

>>4540014
There's no such thing as self-improvement by non-arbitrary standards and doing it because of some bitch is even more silly.

>> No.4544316

I read The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye early last year. I read Catcher around my 20th birthday, and saw Moonrise Kingdom.

I went into a depressive period during Summer. I think I was pining after that loss of innocence, or trying to preserve it in some way. Realised I was an adult now, but had little to show for it. I'm better now; for some reason the last few months of the year always keep me happy, for a while.

Perhaps anything you perceive that makes you a "better" person, at least after reading a book, is only temporary. There might be long term benefits but that buzz after you read the final line and close the book can't carry you forward all the way.

>> No.4545045
File: 109 KB, 630x420, zarathustra-motivator14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Define "better". Better at what ?