[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 94 KB, 540x720, 1391150304216.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4522427 No.4522427[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Alright il/lit/erates...

>having read 4 books this year so far...
>being on track to read 50 or so books this year...
>post the ones you read in Jan.
>the ones you plan to read in Feb.

Januaray was:

> Moby Dick
> Command and Control
> The Road
> A Confederacy of Dunces

February looks like its going to be:
>1 second after
>The divine comedy
>The ego and its own
>haven't decided on a 4th book to read, was thinking meditations of marcus aurelius or something similar.

>> No.4522434

January:
I am Legend
The Ego and its Own
A Clockwork Orange
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Carnage and Culture
Live and Let Die
From Russia With Love
Homage to Catalonia

dunno what I'm reading next. I'm thinking of giving Jack Vance's Dying Earth series a shot. I quite enjoyed Book of the New Sun and I've been told it's somewhat similar to this.

>> No.4522436

i finished reading Dispatches from the Edge, Fight Club, Historia Universal de la Infamia, and Speaking of Chinese—in that order.

>> No.4522447

So far this year I've read
A Canticle for Liebowitz
As I lay Dying
The Magicians
The Magician King
For Whom the Bell Tolls
and Blood Meridian

I'm gonna read God's War next about the Crusades. I've heard good things about it and I'm pretty excited.

>> No.4522450

While I sometimes quickly go through a book, it is really better for your comprehension if you slow down. But then again, if you read a lot you have a broad (albeit diffuse) range of knowledge to use when writing. It's really just a trade-off.

unless you use crack.

>> No.4522455

yo guys i dont usually browse /lit/ , but i wanted to know if you have an equivalent thing for books like /mu/ has RYM and lastfm, and /tv/ has letterboxd, basically a diary/rating system for books you've read

>> No.4522458

>>4522455
goodreads

>> No.4522459

Jan:
Frankenstein
Gatsby
Complete Poems of Hart Crane
Dubliners
Joyce's Epiphanies
Huck Finn
Henry 4th part 1
Waiting for Godot
Naked Lunch

Feb:
Wallace Stevens, Auroras of Autumn
Nabokov, Invitation to a Beheading

>> No.4522461

Norwegian Wood
South of the Border, West of the Sun
Morel's Invention
The Tunnel (Ernesto Sabato)
Siddhartha

But I have no idea what to read next. I really liked Murakami's books (the only other I've read is Wild Sheep's Chase) and I loved The Tunnel

>> No.4522465

>>4522458
looks like a good site, thanks

>> No.4522466

>>4522461
How's Norwegian Wood? I'm picking it up after>>4522459

>> No.4522467

>>4522466
Pretty good. My favourite from Murakami and one of my favourite books. I like that, unlike a Wild Sheep's Chase, it doesn't take long to get interesting. Give it a shot.

>> No.4522472

>>4522467
Right on. Thanks anon

>> No.4522475

January:
The Ego and its Own, seems like it's popular here lol
(actually, I still have like 50 pages to go)

February:
Thinking about reading Candide + something by Proudhon (I'd appreciate recommendations of where to start)

I intend to keep the 1-book-a-month rythm (maybe two for feb only cause Candide is small)

>> No.4522484
File: 73 KB, 600x776, 1391152536021.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

About done with Rendezvous with Rama

The perfect music to go along with it is gamelan. Specifically Penjaga Insaf. (Damnit, can't find Pelamun online)
Here's Seimbang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc8ONDAe3Wg

(Searched around for a cool pic of Rama, but it turns out there are none)

>> No.4522487

>>4522475
Property is Theft!

>> No.4522492

January:
Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - Roadside Picnic
Robert Nathan - Portrait of Jennie
Charles Williams - The Diamond Bikini
John Fowles - Mantissa
Eric Ambler - Journey into Fear

Currently reading PKD's In Milton Lumky Territory. Not sure what will be next. Maybe Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.

>> No.4522493

>>4522450
I like to read a book, think about it, then maybe take a look again at the parts I like, take a look at the style and think about what I like about it and what I don't. Then after I have really thought about the book I read stuff about it elsewhere, try to see other interpretations and what I may have missed, then ponder my thoughts.
Takes a bit of time, but I believe I enjoy this more than reading lots of books in a row, specially if it's a book I really like (if it's something I didn't like that much I may just skip this whole process lol).

Also, if I read a lot of books in a row nonstop I can barely remember what I've read in the first when I'm reading the 5th, kinda sucks.

And I'm this way with movies too, I don't like watching a movie right after one that I liked a lot (or even at the same day).

>> No.4522498

So far this year, I have read half of The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.

I did write 121k of a story in 3 weeks though. I don't count this a wasted month.

>> No.4522507

>>4522484
>the perfect music to go along with it is...

What are you doing? Music is going to influence your mood while reading, which will affect your perception of the book. Couldn't stand that book, by the way. The Cold War allegory is too transparent, the prose style puts me to sleep (I know, it's sci-fi), I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters, the plot promises so much yet delivers so little, and, of course, it insists upon itself. How are you liking it, babe? I'll admit I'm not a big Clarke fan.

>> No.4522543

>>4522434
Book you enjoyed the most out of this list?
I've thought about reading I am legend, A clockwork orange, and Homage to catolnia before, but never really put them a head of so many others on my list.

>>4522447
How was As I lay dying, and did you enjoy Blood Meridian? It's my favorite book, and the Judge is my favorite character.

>>4522450
I like to listen to books really...3x speed in the new audible app ftw

>>4522459
Best or most enjoyable read out of that List?
I've had Naked Lunch suggested to me by a friend, what did you think?

>>4522484
I love you Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

>>4522492
I've never even herd of any of these books, other than PKD, how old are you? what do you study/do?

>>4522507
>tinnitus is awful
>I need music to read
>or a loud fan/white noise
>ambient music is very pleasing to read to

>> No.4522549

>>4522543
As I Lay Dying was good, but if you don't have much experience with Faulkner it may be a bit of a chore to read. Each chapter is written in a different person's point of view and it switches back and forth. It was a great book and I think I liked it so much because I had a similar experience happen to me with my ex-fiance's family so I may be biased.

Blood Meridian is fantastic. It was a little disorienting at first getting used to no quotation marks but I got used to it fairly quickly. Great book though and I'm a little ashamed it took me so long to read it because I had been meaning to for a long time.

>> No.4522557

My January.

Gormenghast(not sure if I should avoid the other two or not, it was quite good as an ending to the series on its own).

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel

As I Lay Dying

Memories, Dreams and Reflections- Carl Jung

>> No.4522561

January:

Fobbit
Robinson Crusoe
Chess
Confederacy of Dunces
Northanger Abbey
The Island of Dr Moreau
The Communist Manifesto

Started a few others, I tend to have a few books on the go at a time

>> No.4522571

>>4522543
>best/worst of >>4522459
I liked them all. I'd have to say epiphanies is the because that's all it is: Joyce's early scribbles. I love Joyce, though, and my New Year's resolution is to read every word he wrote. Crane's poems are the best. He's a very difficult poet, but his rewards are life-affirming and sublime. I'd recommend starting with White Buildings for anyone new to Crane.

Naked Lunch is something else, man. Burroughs is easily the most aesthetically pleasing Beat, if you would even call him a Beat. Not to dissuade you, but Infinite Jest, the drug and crazier parts anyway, seem influenced by NL. By influenced I of course mean tonally ripped and replaced with Pynchony and recursive prose. I'd recommend it.

>> No.4522593
File: 29 KB, 526x300, 1390964804115.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jan

(14 books in all)

Norwegian Wood
Bellowed Sputnik
Kafka on the Shore
Heaven has no chosen ones
Black Obelisk
Nothing new on the western front
Antichrist
Farewell to Idols
Beyond good and evil
The Stranger
The Fall
Women
The Bell Jar

>> No.4522626

Jan:
Homo Faber - Max Frisch
Die Maske - Siegfried Lenz
Faserland - Christian Kracht
The New Imperialism - Harvey
Wie wollen Wir Leben - Bieri
The hundred-y old man who... - forgot the authors name

Feb:
Todesengel - Andreas Eschbach
Über das Glück - Hermann Hesse
Spiegel im Spiegel - Michael Ende
Der Stein - Franz Hohler
Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett
Lords & Ladies - see above

I'm pretty far into Todesengel and Spiegel im Spiegel already, so I'm probably going to have time for one or two more, but we're going to have to see about that. I don't really get a lot of time to read at my new workplace.

>> No.4522775

>>4522507
It is a somewhat dull cardboard read despite its fantastic sci-fi concept, but I knew what to expect going in since I've read and loved Childhood's End, year ago.
It seems to me the so-called genre fictions are best suited in film format, (which is one reason I can enjoy it so much. I just think visually all the time) It really would be better taken in that way.
And I let music influence my reading when it enhances it. When something shuffles on that disrupts, I just skip it till something jives. And the creepy alienness of Penjaga Insaf really fits the strange creatures in this book. (I also cast Keanu Reeves as Capt. Norton)

>> No.4522780

>>4522543
>>tinnitus is awful
>>I need music to read
>>or a loud fan/white noise
>>ambient music is very pleasing to read to

Are you copying down everything I say now?

>> No.4522806

January:
On the Marble Cliffs
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Prague Cemetery
Mr. Palomar
Independent People
Metamorphoses
Chronicle in Stone
Nostromo
The Razor's Edge
Past Master
The Scarlet Letter

Probably finish up A Hero of Our Time today as well.

Feb: No idea, though I'll be sure to finish up 2666 and Within a Budding Grove

>> No.4522808

January:
Lot 49
I, Claudius
A Clockwork Orange

February:
probably finish up Story of Art
Ada or Ardor
Blood Meridian

>> No.4522810

>>4522775
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

>> No.4522814
File: 70 KB, 250x284, 3LDMY7VQA26L46.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uh it's been a slow month.
January:
Slaughterhouse V
Call of Cthulhu
Mountains of Madness
Started: Moon is a Harsh Mistress

February goal:
The Anubis Gates
The Name of the Wind
Excession
Consider Phlebas

>> No.4522815

So far I've read ASoIaF 1-4, now I'm working on Crime and Punishment.

>> No.4522818

January:
A Concise History of Bulgaria
Candide
How to Read Donald Duck
Death And The Maiden

February:
The Tipping Point
Blink
The Big Short or Moneyball

>> No.4522826

january:

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City
The Logos of Heraclitus
Lolito
No One Belongs Here More Than You
The Fault in Our Stars
Player One: What Is to Become of Us
As She Climbed Across the Table

they were almost all pretty good

the fault in our stars was pretty bleh

>> No.4522841

I kind of also want to read Where did you go, Bernadette but I loathe wasting time on pop books with no substance. Anyone tried it yet?

>> No.4522970

How is everyone stacking up vis-a-vis their reading goal? I'm on track but usually January is a pretty quiet month that I can read a whole lot in, and that was less the case this year.

>> No.4522978

Bleak House
Dhammapada
The Broom of the System

Bleak House occupied most of the month. I found it quite slow going. I think it'd be fair to say that I appreciated it more than I enjoyed it, if you know what I mean. The Dhammapada I just read out of curiosity, it didn't have a particularly profound effect on me or anything. The Broom of the System was really good fun.

This month I intend to read A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki, Selected Poems - W. B. Yeats, His Master's Voice - Stanislaw Lem, Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth, and perhaps another if my pace picks up again.

>> No.4522992

Thus spake Zarathustra
Crime and Punishment
The Rubaiyat (december 28 or something, w/e)
Saga of the Volsungs
reading Pride and Prejudice atm.

>> No.4523000

Got through
>A Doll's House
>Cyrano de Bergerac
>Game of Thrones
>Assassination Vacation
>The Crying of Lot 49
>A Streetcar Named Desire

February plans:
>Being and Nothingness
>The Woman in White
>everything Edgar Allan Poe wrote
>Faust by Goethe

I'm trying to pick German back up, so I'm sure a textbook or two will pop up.

>> No.4523008

Anyone else got 20 or so unread books they bought last year which they are planning to spread out through February, March, April and possibly May?

>> No.4523040
File: 75 KB, 618x535, 2014 read jan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just started the Illiad (Fagles trans).

>> No.4523047

January's been:

The Golden Ass
Demons
Consolation of Philosophy
The Blade Itself
Before they are Hanged
Last argument of Kings
The Magus
The Bell Jar
The Book of Disquiet

It was a good month.

>> No.4523063

>>4523000

Did you like the Crying of Lot 49? I heard it was lacking

>> No.4523066

January

Pourquoi j'meurs tout l'temps - Anaïs Airelle
Voyage au bout de la nuit - Louis-Ferdinand Céline
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media - Noam Chomky & Edward S. Herman
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dreams of Steel - Glen Cook
Bleaks Seasons - Glen Cook

February

L'éthique protestant et l'esprit du capitalisme - Max Weber
The ugly canadian, Stephen Harper's foreign policy - Yves Engler
Dans les ruine de l'université - Bill Readings
Le langage et la pensée - Noam Chomsky
L'homme révolté - Albert Camus

>> No.4523067

>>4523008
this is very specific question

>> No.4523072

>>4523008
yea i receive like 13 books for Christmas and my birthday is in 3 days so ill get another 10 or so books (the only thing i ask as gift). That is, of course, not including the books i bought.

>> No.4523079

>>4522810
If this isn't copy-pasta I applaud you.

>> No.4523077

Man, you guys have me beat by a long shot. /lit/ never fails to make me feel like a pleb.

My January list:
The Catcher in the Rye (never read it in high school, figured it was time to get on it)
Snow Crash
The Long Walk
House of Leaves
The Eye of the World (which took the most time)

I'm gonna finish Foundation today though, and I recently started The Handmaiden's Tale. I need to step my game up.

>> No.4523081

January:
The Idiot (started in December)
Mrs. Dalloway
Franny and Zooey
Libra
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Writing of Hunter S. Thompson (will finish in February)

February:
Continue "Fear and Loathing at RS"
Down and Out in Paris and London
Tropic of Cancer/Tropic of Capricorn/Black Spring (Omnibus)
The Luminaries (if my name gets to the top of the library waiting list)

>> No.4523088

>>4523077

How did you like Catcher? We didn't read it here in Secondary Schools in England but I finally bought a copy when I was in America. I might start it tonight and make it the first book of February that i've read.

>> No.4523097

I recently got into reading so I've been reading stuff everyone has already read.

This month I read:
The Great Gatsby
The Catcher in the Rye
On Writing
The Bad Beginning
Slaughterhouse Five

>> No.4523098

>>4523079
Put your hands away.

>> No.4523109

January I finished off Mistborn (Hero of Ages and Alloy of Law), and ripped through Steelheart. Really liking Brandon Sanderson at the moment.

I also got through Nexus, and literally just finished Perdido Street Station a few minutes ago.

Next month, probably going to take a break from scifi /fantasy, though I'll admit I'm pretty keen to read the first Stormlight Archives book.

>> No.4523112

In January I read:
>Infinite Jest
>The Sun Also Rises
>Stoner
>Lolita

In February I think I'll read The Sound and The Fury, A Confederacy of Dunces and I don't know what else. Half my month was occupied reading Infinite Jest so I suppose I will get to read a lot more than 4 books in February, but I'm going to college so I'm not sure.

>> No.4523113

>>4523088
Y'know, I read it without really having any knowledge of it beforehand other than hearing all the accolades. In terms of writing, I thought it was pretty fantastic. I guess my interpretation of it was different from the general consensus at first, apparently it's one of those things you either love or hate. I couldn't sympathize with the main character 100 percent, but a lot of the passages hit pretty close to home with how I felt back when I was a teenager. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece meant for everyone, but it has a good amount of literary merit that I missed out on all these years. It gets argued about pretty regularly here on /lit/, so at least now when I see people fighting about it I have a good standpoint.

tl;dr: check it out, it's not too long or hard to digest and you'll get to be a part of the cool kids club

>> No.4523120

Books I read this month:
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Among Others by Jo Walton
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Discworld #1 The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Also I'm midway through:
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Selected Short Stories by Anton Chekhov
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

>> No.4523122

>>4523113
>>4523088

As a side note, if you haven't read it already check out House of Leaves. I know I'm late to the game on that one as well, but it unsettled me in a big way and has stuck with me these last couple weeks. I read a Stephen King book right afterwards to cool down from it. I'm a huge pleb, so I know a lot of people on /lit/ wouldn't like it as much as I did, but House of Leaves was amazing to me. I'm actively trying to be more patrician in my reading habits, but it's a long ways off yet.

>> No.4523126

>>4522427
In January

>Loltia
>a book of Hemingway's short stories
>Pale Fire
>Paradise Lost

>> No.4523190

Alex Ferguson Biog (deal with it)
The Disaster Artist
Children of Hurin
The Silmarillion

>> No.4523199

The Prince and The Pauper (with my kid)
Embassytown
Miscellanious comics
Discovered and became obssessed with Finder: read it all in 4 days

>> No.4523291

>>4522493
I'm exactly the same, even with albums I'll only buy up to 2 at a time each couple weeks because I need to digest it properly, and especially if it's one of my favourites or it had a big impact on me it sort of feels like I'm insulting the experience by not doing that

>> No.4523294

>>4523120
What Chekhov stories have you liked from the collection so far? I've never read him before apart from Ward No. 6 last night which I loved

>> No.4523326

I tried to read Oblomov this month but I kept feeling sleepy.

>> No.4523349

>Semerkand
>Cem Sultan
>Türk Töresi
currently reading Türkçülüğün Esasları.
Semerkand was really good, Cem Sultan was a bit too pleb, but it gave me what i wanted.

I am going to read Hay bin Yakzan, One flew over the cuckoo's nest and Cezmi, at least this three i mean.

>> No.4523350

>>4522593
well some one likes to read.
>best most/enjoyable read from that list? or at least some commentary on reading all that.

>>4522780
>we can BOTH have tinnitus

>>4522806
>the scarlet letter?
Don't see that one being mentioned often.

>>4522818
And how does one read donald duck?

Feb, big short and money ball are both good, consider the black swan as another amazing read

>>4523120
>read ASFTiNDA by DFW right after my honey moon cruise, I felt he was being a tad whiny but accurate.
>The Colour of Magic
has been on my list for a long time just keep putting it off, how did you enjoy it?

>>4523126
paradise lost is fantastic if you can get used to the writing style

>> No.4523363

>>4523350
What's your favourite DFW?

>> No.4523373

>>4523294
The ones in this book are sorted by year, so it started with his earliest works. Most of them I liked a bit less but the recent ones have stuck out in my mind. Boring Story was the longest and had the most going on, so that was notable. The one that moved me the most was Easter Story, something about the religious imagery of it.
The one I'm at now is The Fidget (chapter 13 out of 30), which is two before Ward No. 6, so I haven't read that one yet.
>>4523350
I liked it well enough. I've never read Pratchett before, but I have seen this British sarcasm before in the works of Doug Adams. The writing is pretty snappy and the universe is imaginative. It's not quite something that stole my breath away though.

>> No.4523413

>>4523363

consider the lobster was the first thing that really brought my attention to DFW. I enjoy his essays and articles and all his interviews for the most part
infinite jest is on my list, so is the Pale king, but I just haven't read them yet.

>> No.4523441

January:
Gravity's Arc
Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway

February:
Still searching if anyone would like to recommend

>> No.4523444

>>4522427

Jan

>The Less Deceived, Larkin

> Lolita, Nabokov
>The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, Nabokov
>The Iliad
>The Whitsun Weddings, Larkin
>The Paris Review issue 207
>The Best American Erotic Poems ed. David Lehman

Feb, in no particular order:

>The Odyssey
>Bend Sinister, Nabokov
>Literary Theory: a Very Short Introduction
>The Apology, Plato
>The Metamorphosis, Ovid
>High Windows, Larkin
>Some issues of Poetry

>> No.4523468

January
>the Invisible Man
>Child of God

February
> Roadside Picnic
>The Trial

I don't read that much.

>> No.4523474

>>4523441
>Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway

Read In Our Time. You've probably already read the stories, and may have them, but they're worth a re-read, and they cohere in a really interesting way in the volume. P.S the story about the impotent guy is a dig at T.S Eliot.
Also read The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

>>4523120
Try Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas

>>4523113
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2001/10/01/011001fa_FACT3?currentPage=all

Great essay on Catcher.

>>4523097
Read Cat's Cradle. Also, obligatory that you read Brave New World if you read 1984.

>>4523047
That does look like a good month. Try some of Plath's poems. A selected volume.

>>4523040
The Teaching Company has a really good lecture series on Homer.

>>4522978

>> No.4523489

Jan
>A doll's house - Ibsen
>The wild Duck - Ibsen
>A Christmas Carol - Dickens
>The Old man and the Sea - Hemingway
>Walden - Thoreau
>Tao te King
>A book of Chejov's short stories
>Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
February
>The lord of the flies - Golding
>Essays - Ralph Waldo Emerson
>Martin Fierro - José Hernandez

>> No.4523491

>>4522543
>I've thought about reading I am legend, A clockwork orange, and Homage to catolnia before, but never really put them a head of so many others on my list.

I am Legend and A Clockwork Orange are pretty good. They are like 200 pages each, you can read them in a single afternoon.

Homage to Catalonia is amazing. Definitely better than Orwell's big two.

>> No.4523494

>>4523350
It took me a little bit, but once I got use to Milton's style I loved it. especially the way he wrote the dialog for Lucifer.

>> No.4523498

>>4523474
Man, that essay you linked is phenomenal. Never knew that Salinger was hospitalized after the war, really puts Catcher into a different perspective. Thanks!

>> No.4523509

Jan:
>Heart of Darkness, Conrad
Didn't really enjoy all that much
>Under Milk Wood, Thomas
Great
>To The Lighthouse, Woolf
Best one of January

Feb:
>The Waves, Woolf
>Rebecca, Maurier
>The Wasp Factory, Banks
Tried to read it this month but I just couldn't do it.

I wouldn't mind a recommendation really. Something more about reflections on relationships and history maybe.

>> No.4523511

I'm just getting into reading shit, forgive me.
* = For school

January:
Great Expectations, Dickens: 8.5/10
A Christmas Tree and A Wedding, Dostoevsky: 6/10
The Metamorphosis, Kafka: 6.5/10
*The Guest, Camus: 5.5/10
*The Handsomest Drowned Man In the World, Márquez: 4/10

For February:
The Red and the Black, Stendhal, Moncrieff Trans.
Gulliver's Travels, Swift
Robinson Crusoe, Defoe
Candide, Voltaire
Various short stories if I tire of any of these

>>4523489
What did you think of Walden, eh?

>> No.4523512

>>4522427
>January
>The Fall
>The Stranger
>Some Moliere play, not really interesting
I don't have that much time to read, because most of the time chen I get home I' too tired to read
>Planned for Feb
>The Red and the Black
>Currently reading Lolita
>The Plague
>The Metamorphosis
And some others I guess
Also, yes, I'm French

>> No.4523538

>>4523498
Salinger's hospitalization isn't as important as remembering that Holden's brother just died. It also points out a lot of great stuff about Holden's attitude, which a lot of people take as just whiny.

>> No.4523541

January
The Exorcist

Im off to a great start, about to read The Shining.

>> No.4523609 [DELETED] 

>>4523474
I've already read Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls but thanks for the recs I will pick em up asap

>> No.4523626

Finished in Jan:
>The Land Across
>Titus Alone
>The Formation of Christendom
>Hyperion
>Peace (re-read)
>The Darkness That Comes Before

To-read in Feb:
>The Warrior Prophet
>The Fall of Hyperion
>The Dividing of Christendom
>Elric of Melnibone

>> No.4523675

>>4523350
The Donald Duck one was way too marxists for me, maybe i have not understand it very well, but it is cool for someone who is into propaganda/conspiracy.

>> No.4523691

>>4523350
>Paradise Lost

I'm gearing up to read it. I'm going to do the King James first. Any other essential pre-Milton literature?

>> No.4523697

Currently reading The Fountainhead and The Big Sleep. Cant get around to finish any of them.

>> No.4523707

>the brief wondrous life of oscar wao
>tinkers
>marcus aurelius' meditations
>the metamorphosis of prime intellect
>pimp by iceberg slim
>glock: the rise of america's gun

>> No.4523732

>>4523707
>>glock: the rise of america's gun
You mean Austria's gun?

>> No.4523792

>>4523350
>Don't see that one being mentioned often.
For good reason, it isn't very good.

>> No.4524000

>>4523732

No, I mean the gun designed by an Austrian for United States law enforcement as documented by Paul M. Barrett.

>> No.4524127

Interesting to see what everyone read.
January- Finished only Blood Meridian but worked more on Moby Dick, Look Homeward Angel. Damn I read slowly.
Feb.-Finish the Whale, and Start either Magic Mountain, War and Peace, IJ, or The Luminaries.

>> No.4525274

>>4523792
and because you're usually assigned to read it in high school. I was.