[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 382x593, Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4508018 No.4508018[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of La Nausée? (Nausea)

>> No.4508047

what do YOU think about it?

>> No.4508056

shit

>> No.4508060

better than Camus

>> No.4508084

I was reading it, and was about 60 pages in when I spilled my manual drip coffee maker on it, ruining it, coffee grounds all over, ect. unreadable. and I never felt compelled to buy another copy, so I guess that displays my feelings on the book.
I get really tired of all these "notes from underground"esque books where it's just an edgy narrator who likes to make fun of everyone around him. books where the main character is just a projection of the author who thinks he's kindred spirits with god or some shit. it's boring now.

>> No.4508103

>>4508084
yeah but it was unique when it was written

>> No.4508111

shit

>> No.4508148

>>4508084
But, didn't you understand that was the purpose of the book. Sartre wanted to give you the nausea about nausea. It's as if by watching this guy being in depression because of his lack of action and fulfillment in his life, you'd be sick of being like him and reject his manners.
Act now! React tomorrow! Commit yourself in something, anything even if life's absurd!

>> No.4508191

>>4508148
I figured that might be the goal. I usually anticipate that. I def thought that about Catcher in the Rye. But then I saw that documentary on Salinger and it seemed to imply that Salinger wanted to display Holden as a smart, ahead of his time kid who was hurt by a world that didn't understand him. And I read that book thinking what a terribly pathetic little brat he was. And I thought that was the implied tone. So I have a tough time discerning exact tone in books like this. I'm sure I'll finish it up another time.