[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 311x362, books-042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
449707 No.449707 [Reply] [Original]

I'm trying to find a study guide for philosophy but I can't... I'm looking for something like a list of most remarkable books from Greeks to moder philosophers for improve my knowledge in philosophy, even if I'd never finish all the books in the list..

Reading in some webpages I found this introduction: start with Thales, Anaximander, Pythagoras,Heracitus, Parmenides... and then Plato's Republic, Plato's Laws, The Apology, Aristotle Ethics, Aristotle's politics, ....

is that list ok? anything to add?

>> No.449713

It sounds like you just need to read a good contemporary text book on the history of Western Philosophy to extend your list.

>> No.449737

forget all that old trite crap and just read lots of Nietzsche and Camus.

greek philosophy is pages of things i worked out for myself as a 14 year old

>> No.449746

>>449737
>/b/-talk

>> No.449752

>>449713
I read Russell's History of Western Philosophy.. but of course everyone seems that is not a biased book...

>> No.449763

>>449752
>but of course everyone seems that is not a biased book...
>everyone seems that is not a biased book...
>everyone seems...

>> No.449800

s/seems/thinks/

>> No.449807
File: 16 KB, 255x352, giggle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>449800

>> No.449815

>>449752

Russell's history of philosophy, to put it mildly, isn't.

For a concise and very high quality intro, I suggest Magee's "The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy" and/or "The Story of Philosophy".

>> No.449818

read some contemporary stuff. the history of philosophy is not really an introductory subject. you will just see it as random people having random arguments if you can't place them within their "branches" in the argument tree.

>> No.449850

Most of the theories or branches of philosophy stee m mostly from the greeks, at that time there was already a primitive conception of nihilism, moral relativism, idealism etc... So id say that if youre seriously interested in philosophy you should read some of the greeks. Socrates/Plato and Aristoteles are highly relevant.

>> No.449913

Reading more about thales.. there's no much sources from the pre-socratic philosophers, basically the source is writings from socrates, plato, etc... so I should read them directly I guess

btw, thanks for your answers...