[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 229x350, CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4452554 No.4452554[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

/lit/

About a week ago, I was 100 pages or so into Blood Meridian and asked for thoughts from the board.

What followed was a 200 reply nightmare with some constructive suggestions/discourse/criticisms etc.

There were also a pack of twatty fedora wearing betas shitting on the book and calling it easily accessible trash for plebs.

I am now back, having completed the book, to say....
the posters I just alluded to are giant faggots.

The book wasn't great, I don't even know if I'd call it good. But it is not easily accessible, in fact it has some pretty dense and challenging prose.

It is certainly a provocative book, worthy of discussion.

So for those of you sucking the cock of some dead shitty Argentinean Author....

fuck you.

PS- The Judge raped, murdered, and partially ate the Kid at the end.

>> No.4452561

Nice blog post mate

>> No.4452564

>>4452554
>The Judge raped, murdered, and partially ate the Kid at the end.

And your evidence for this? The rape is pretty feasible, I'd probably agree with it. Same with killing the kid. But partially eating him? What the fuck. Maybe I just missed something.

>> No.4452577

>>4452564
My theory only really...

Paraphrasing here, but it says something to the effect of "He embraced him into his terrible flesh"

I take that a bit literally.

Also, whatever was in the outhouse was so horrible the cowboys had to just walk away. I would imagine it was worse than any of the massacre descriptions in the rest of the book.

>> No.4452574

I never understood the ending. What evidence is there of rape? All I remember is the dude finding the kid in the outhouse and being shocked

>> No.4452580

>>4452574
Judge was naked in the outhouse.

>> No.4452581

>>4452564
Just pulling shit right out of my ass, dude. Same thing everyone else does when they talk about stuff they don't or can't know for certain.

>> No.4452586

>>4452580

Isn't judge naked quite a bit?

>> No.4452588

>>4452577
Eh, the only really convincing bit is that the cowboys saw something really horrible. As for the literal taking of that quote, I think there's enough strange and figurative passages in the book as a whole to justify not taking it that literally.

>>4452581
I am okay with this.

>> No.4452592

>>4452574
There isn't any.

Retards arguing about what happened to the kid are even worse than the ones arguing about which bug Gregor turned into.

>> No.4452593

>>4452586
Yes he is.

I'm going more by the cowboys' reaction...another theory I read is that the missing girl is in there too.

>> No.4452604

>>4452592

Then why the fuck does it always come up on /lit/? You fuckers confused me

>> No.4452605

>>4452586
Yes.

Also, if people thought even just a little bit they'd know that one doesn't really want to rape a guy and not wash afterwards. Not the cleanest orifice to enter into shouting "Surprise!"

>> No.4452607

>>4452577
I've always interpreted that quotation to refer to the Judge strangling the kid and in a way incorporating him in the Judge's careless violence rather than the Kid's somewhat structured lawlessness. I know, I know, that's not an incredibly interesting or even well fleshed out reading but I've always thought it clear that a huge distinction's made between the Kid and everyone else in Glanton's gang.

>> No.4452617

>>4452607
I'm fine with that.

Totally open to suggestions as to what physically happened in the shitter, as well as what the cowboys saw.

>> No.4452620

>>4452617

Why the fuck does it matter? Of all the shit that goes on during the book why is this the most discussed on /lit/?

>> No.4452627

>>4452620
Why does anything matter you fucking neckbearded retard.

I'll discuss anything that happened in the book.

>> No.4452633
File: 22 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4452577
>Paraphrasing here, but it says something to the effect of "He embraced him into his terrible flesh"
>I take that a bit literally.

No offense, but this is the most idiotic interpretation of that line anyone could probably come up with. Who are you, Amelia Bedelia?

>> No.4452640

>>4452633
Lulz.

I was thinking more in terms of "consumption."

The judge "absorbed" the kid into his body, so what better way?

>> No.4452647

>>4452617
See I don't think that's hugely important. I think we'd be better off examining how McCarthy explains it to us rather than what exactly the truth of the situation was. Plus this book tends to find its strength in those descriptions over exactly what happened. A lot of what makes the violence so gruesome is that it isn't so clearly spelled out and described in every detail (which is one reason why a visual adaptation won't work). I think you're onto something tying the missing children into this but only as an image that suggests lost innocence and childhood. The latrine scene shows the Kid losing any innocence he might have had left and I think the sexual overtones are more to make a suggestion and comparison to rape rather than necessarily telling us it must have been rape.

I also really liked whoever said that the violence in the outhouse was worse than any of the previous massacres in the book. I don't think anyone else in the novel is ever aghast at the ridiculous and incredible violence all around them but for some reason this murder at the novel's end disgusts two people.

Or maybe I'm full of poop.

>> No.4452664

>>4452647
And the massacres in the book were pretty ghastly, so it does beg the question, what did that 7 footed creep do?

Still giving a big fuck you to those who called this whole book trash for plebs, btw.

>> No.4452671

>>4452647

Wasn't the guy who found him just a commoner? I could see why he would be disturbed by the violence

>> No.4452692

>>4452671
Yeah but it's worth noting that McCarthy chooses to give us that detail. I haven't read this in two years but I'm pretty sure that the Glanton gang doesn't even bat an eye at their own deaths (except for the ex-priest) making this detail especially poignant.

This could also spiral into a discussion as to how we read the book. I see it as a series of choices McCarthy made that add up to something greater than his intention that we're meant to analyze and look over all the details in order to understand. If you disagree with me then we disagree but that's where I'm coming from.

>> No.4452694

i really enjoyed blood meridian, but--purely commenting on accessibility--i don't think the book's that hard. it's only challenging in the sense that mccarthy over does his faulkner impression on occasion, fucking up the balance of purple and meaningful, and so maybe you want to drop the book on its head in disgust. but besides those occasional moments (which i think you can forgive him when taking the book's impression sum total), the book's not that idea dense. for the most part sentences are short and quick, the descriptions are pretty much to the point, even if he doesn't use quotations he's structured it in away that doesn't require them. he doesn't hold your hand or describe everything, but that's just the norm when you hit literary-tier books.

i mean everyone has their own yard stick. like if all you read is jk rowling, sure he's hard. but he's much easier to read than the modernist's who influenced him. (note: i don't think this is a bad thing or a good thing, i think accessibility is always preferable if there is no specific purpose behind being obfuscatious).

also, this shit hasn't got anything to do with fedora wearers. i'm pretty sure most fedora touting faggots will list the road as one of their favourite books.

>> No.4452701

>>4452664
>it does beg the question

You're not even educated enough to know how to use this phrase correctly, so your "fuck you" is valueless.

>> No.4452718

>>4452701
You certainly brought your intelligence to the table with that post

>> No.4452719

>>4452701
Bachelor's/Teaching certificate/Special Education Master's/ 6 credits from completing Master's in Administration.....

fuck you

>> No.4452731
File: 51 KB, 444x253, 1389233645772.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4452719
Oh, how nice. Amid paying for some slips of paper, you couldn't be bothered to Google the correct usage of "begging the question".

(Here's a nice little image, just for you. First hit on a Google search, by the way. Wink, wink.)

If you still don't understand, maybe you can get one of your students to explain it to you.

>> No.4452761
File: 1003 KB, 220x220, 1313599727328.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4452719
>gets insulted
>actually posts his resumé

>> No.4452772
File: 49 KB, 402x402, bob-dylan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4452719

>getting mad because someone, who is most likely underage, insulted you on a anime image board

>> No.4452780

>>4452719
>using your worthless certifications to avoid accepting the fact that you were wrong

face it, you're not as smart as you think you are

>> No.4452783

>>4452761
>>4452772
Cool.

So Judge Holden...

>> No.4452792

>>4452554

Explain to me why this book is good. What's the big insight into humanity that makes this piece of literature 'worthy of discussion'?

>> No.4452795

>>4452780
Poster says uneducated.

I post education.

Face it, you are a virgin.

>> No.4452798

>>4452792
I really don't even think it's that good to be honest.

But have there been other books like it?

>> No.4452811

>>4452795
April 21, 1998

had sex. with a girl.

eat it up schoolboy

>> No.4452817

>>4452811
No bullshit....
that's actually almost exactly the same day I punched my card.

>> No.4452823

>>4452817
nah just messing, thats my b-day ;)

>> No.4452824

>>4452795
it's weird that you have a masters and didn't even know how to use 'beg the question'

not trying to make you mad, just sayin'...

hope you didn't have the habit of saying it in conversation, too

>> No.4452836

>>4452824
The way I used it is generally accepted by just about everyone.

Meaning is conveyed.

Shmucks who say they "could care less" are using it wrong but still getting their point across.

Doubt anyone was confused by my usage (which still seems right to me to be honest)

>> No.4452844

>>4452836
>which still seems right to me to be honest

Yet isn't.

>> No.4452853

>>4452844
Want to talk about books?

>> No.4452861

>>4452853
>/lit/
>books

>> No.4452878

>>4452792

>this kills the BM thread

BM threads always dissolve into shit flinging straight away because there's nothing to talk about in the book.

>> No.4452882

>>4452811
i honest to god don't even remember the name of the chick i first fucked, let alone the date. it was either eve, eva, or some variant of that.

i wasn't even drunk, i just really suck at remembering names. makes reading a fuckin chore at times.

>> No.4452884

>>4452878
I'll bite.

Book has not one redeeming character or moment. What other books do this but do it better? Honest question

>> No.4452890

>>4452882
>it was either eve, eva, or some variant of that.
It was a while ago, Adam.

>> No.4452897

>>4452890
shit was so cash back then. nowadays i run around with no clothes, someone puts me on a government watch list.

>> No.4452913

>>4452884
do you mean redeeming in elative, good sense, or redeeming in the worthwhile sense? cause i thought the judge slitting that little boys throat was more memorable than what i've seen in a lot of other fiction.

still, i can sort of agree. it does read kind of then we went and did this bad ass thing, then we went and did this bad ass thing, etc.

as for the rest of your question: the alchemist. that book's a piece of shit. it's so boring and unforgettable, i accidentally almost read it twice (got 30 pages into it the second time, thought "holy balls this sucks," thought i'd check the summary on wiki to see if it was worth reading; turns out, i'd read the fucker before. so here's a big fuck you to paul coelho).

>> No.4452929

>>4452913
Redeeming in the good sense. There's not one act of goodness or even civility.

Fucking animals getting burned and shit.

>> No.4452926

>>4452884

Do what? Have irredeemable characters? I dunno, like only a million? It takes more than that to impress me about a book so I don't really care to think about it.

>> No.4452930

>>4452577
>he embraced him into his terrible flesh = partially ate him

no wonder you found the prose dense you dunce.

>> No.4452941

>>4452554
stop pretending you matter

>> No.4452953

>>4452929
there are a few iirc, some with the random people they meet and then maul, but especially around the kid. the narrative sort of rests on this, because everyone in the party is an arsehole except for the kid (who is only partially an arsehole)--which is what's got the judge's jimmies all rustled in the first place.

but yeah, in that sense, i can't think of a book that has less happy moments. maybe some japanese novellas where it's just 1 sad thing after another sad thing.

>> No.4452972

>>4452953
>>4452929

Ok guys, ten thousand dollar question:

>>4452792

>> No.4452987
File: 28 KB, 266x354, nfns5_michael_s3x4_al.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4452941
why dont you go fuck your mother so you actually get laid for once in your life you beta fucking loser.

Picture is a guy who is less gay then you

>> No.4452991

>>4452972
I'm sorry but that's kinda stupid. Can't the user posting that question just read the damn thing? Can't they just experience it for themselves, think about it, maybe even watch the big fat obvious two part "The American Novel From 1945 to the present" presentation on it and realize it's not just fancy drivel? Not that you have to like it because it coalesces into something that's interesting to talk about but I'm tired of the idea that everyone must defend some work from someone who isn't going to give it a chance anyway and is just trying to grief people who like the author or work in question into getting pissed off because someone doesn't love the same thing they do.

tl;dr Can we not have this circlejerk? Pretty please?

>> No.4453024

>>4452972
some people like discussing the allusions throughout, i think it's to moby dick iirc, personally i don't give a shit.

for me i enjoyed the book because i thought the imagery was pretty good, the roaming across the wastelands of central-ish america, the judge is a unique character as far as fiction goes, you won't find as many detestable scenes in most literature, the prose (although i think over the top) is poetically beautiful at times, and the ending's a lovely image.

i don't think there's any great insight into humanity, nor will i probably ever be doing something one day and suddenly i'll think back about the characters from the story. in that sense it is kind of lacking. i suppose you could make the argument that it shows an ugly side to humanity that most literature, largely coming from the bourgeois of it's respective ages, fails to ever consider. but personally i don't give a shit about that, because i think, philosophically/psychologically speaking, most literature is not that informative unless you're the kind of person who can't draw conclusions of your own.

ultimately, let me put it this way, it's unique. there are thousands of novels about depression, or finding yourself, or the ephemeral nature of life--all these things, you can generally find them in several books. but there's no other high literature equivalent to blood meridian.

>> No.4453043

>>4453024
This

>> No.4453056

>>4453024

>i suppose you could make the argument that it shows an ugly side to humanity that most literature, largely coming from the bourgeois of it's respective ages, fails to ever consider.

Wrong, Heart of Darkness, among others. The dark side of the human soul is a pretty well worn topic.

>philosophically/psychologically speaking, most literature is not that informative unless you're the kind of person who can't draw conclusions of your own.

You're right, fiction isn't very informative. The point is to cast light on the part of the human experience that defies scientific analysis. Or maybe you think humanity can be defined in such a way, I'm sure there are many books that make the case.

The point is, Blood Meridian makes no cases for anything. I appreciate you think it's well written (I think it is too, for brief moments.) but people are using the word 'genius' when talking about this book, when I think it's just a notable genre title that doesn't deserve to be discussed as literary fiction.

>> No.4453079

>>4452577
The actual passage:

>"The judge was seated upon the closet. He was naked and he rose up smiling and gathered him in his arms against his immense and terrible flesh and shot the wooden barlatch home behind him."

Frankly, to take this to mean the Judge is eating the Kid is stupid, really stupid.

>> No.4453097

>>4453079
Its the only thing that is so horrible it would make the cowboys turn away.

>> No.4453114

>>4453056
actually i was going to mention heart of darkness since i thought someone would bring it up (i mean bm draws directly from it). but i consider them different enough that if you read the two, and see nothing different in how they approach the callousness of man, then i think that says something more about yourself than the book. in fact, personally, i think blood meridian is a better book for modern readers--i think it faces the situation in a way that's more descriptive, better paced, more emotional--and if i was facing a naiive reader, who could only ever read one, i would give them bm every time, because i expect it will move their hearts more. maybe you wouldn't, in which case i don't really care to argue that further because whatever makes our opinions divergent is not going to be ironed out in a five-post back and forth on 4chan.

as for the genius nature, i agree. i don't think mccarthy is comparable to the very highest of literary minds, and in general i think of most of his books as not much more than genre fiction (like the road, anyone could have written that), but the initial question wasn't "explain why this book a timeless classic on the level of ulysses or remembrance of things past"--the question was "explain why this is a good book." and i think it's a _good_ book for the reasons i listed. like if someone said 'hey should i read this book?' i would feel zero qualms with saying, yeah, go ahead. whereas if someone said 'hey, should i devote an entire literature course to dissecting this book?' i'd probably say no.

>> No.4453129

>>4453097
>the only thing

You're not very good at thinking. The Judge could have wrenched the Kid's head off his body, flayed the skin off his back, or broke his spine in half and left him with his ass resting on his head.

There are numerous things he could have done to make the shitkickers react how they did.

The passage is open to interpretation, and nobody really knows, but I think it's safe to rule out something as dumb and improbable as cannibalism.

>> No.4453380

>>4453056
>>4453024

Late to the party here but I don't think that the "insight" of Blood Meridian is just that humans have a "dark side", or that it has nothing to say beyond being meaningless violence. The point is that meaningless violence is the marker of humanity. Defining attribute basically. The judge is kind of an Adamic figure, or Christlike if you want to go there: this is why he's often nude (apart from his generally being like a giant infant), he is man in natural form. But he is also not distinct from civilization, he is a learned man who possesses a status in society that gives him the authority to deal death. That's McCarthy's (only) idea, that humanity doesn't have a "dark side" that is kept in check by civilizing forces but rather that the whole business is rotten. Which is why the "30000 years ago scalped" thing is the epigraph.

Conrad kind of gets at this but not quite, he is still convinced that white people are somehow better than the blacks, more civilized essentially even if they can "go bad". McCarthy starts from the standpoint that everyone is bad and there is nowhere better to go.

>> No.4453408

>>4453380
i think saying that senseless violence is THE defining marker is the same error as saying that it's only society that keeps us in check. it's painting a picture that's too black and white. the reality is always going to be one of nuance, and a propensity to kill callously is A marker, just as the propensity to throw ourselves in the way of a car to save a stranger is A marker as well. i mean, quite clearly, we are not all going around ravaging each other right now. historically, not everyone is a marauder. even in the book, the marauders are an exception and the judge is an exception among them--most people you'll see are the victims. so i think saying we have a 'dark-side' is much more reflective of the nuancive reality than what you're saying.

with that said, this is more a disagreement of word choice. i understand the underlying sentiment (that conrad and co paint violence as something almost alien and unusual), and that i do agree with.

>> No.4453429

>>4453380
I think you're making the mistake of attributing the Judge's philosophy to McCarthy. If anything, McCarthy repudiates such a view.

>> No.4453430

>>4453380

>That's McCarthy's (only) idea, that humanity doesn't have a "dark side" that is kept in check by civilizing forces but rather that the whole business is rotten. Which is why the "30000 years ago scalped" thing is the epigraph.

What whole business are you referring to? You're saying civilization has a dark side too? Well, no crap, but to me that's a banal observation. Just say the word 'war' and people realize this simple fact.

>> No.4453431

>>4453429

His books are awfully nihilistic

>> No.4453440

>>4453431
They're absolutely not, they're the opposite. McCarthy chooses such bleak subject matter to show that the human spirit and man's essential goodness can persevere. Even his bleakest novels end on such a note: the dream in No Country, the family that finds The Boy in The Road, even the epilogue of Blood Meridian that shows the settling of the west -- they all go to show humans are not defined by war and destruction and evil. (all of these also show his use of fire to symbolize goodness -- and note that fire quite literally lights up the darkness -- man's good qualities light up, beat back, ward off the bad.)

>> No.4453455

>>4453440

You make a good point sir, I stand corrected

>> No.4453470

>>4452554
>hating on Borges
For shame.

>> No.4453477

>>4453430
from what i've seen most books are more about the presentation than the actual message. like dissecting them philosophically, is more something people do for an intellectual exercise with books they like, than the actual reason they enjoy a book. most classics are pretty simplistic, and i'm not convinced they teach you anything if you don't already hold the view point apriori. dubliners (everyone you know is going to die--and joyce's later stuff only gets more niche), anna karenina (city life is a bit of a joke, maybe try farming), faulkner (downfall of the south, everything's sad), kafka (bureaucracy is shit and terrifying + a bit more), hemingway (everything's depressing and it's raining), catcher in the rye (teenagers are dumb, but they go grow out of it and it's kind of cute), and so on.

although some classics do tackle really big ideas (say the iliad, with man's struggle to be remembered, or crime and punishment with the disconnect between rationalization and actuality), this is not a universal constant in good books. if we look at the po-mo scene, nabokov and pynchon, while still writing timeless books, they teach you absolutely nothing about how people work.

and i think the point i'm trying to make is, it's bit a reductive to judge a book purely on its insights. you can criticize bm for other reasons, maybe you think the story is just boring, but, purely philosophically speaking, it's not that unusual.

>> No.4453489

>>4452731
>being this anal when the context was obvious
shiggy

>> No.4453491
File: 57 KB, 1280x720, 1389146274502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4453477
>Nabokov teaches you nothing about how people work

>> No.4453498

>>4452890
>it was either eve, eva, or some variant of that
>It was a while ago, Shinji
ftfy

>> No.4453502

>>4453491
i don't know, personally if he does i haven't noticed it. i didn't even think he wanted to. his books are beautiful, they enchant, they're funny, they're wonderfully constructed, they're awe-inspiring. but i don't step away from pale fire thinking, oh i can't shake this sense of ennui at the struggle of the poet as he is consumed by his work. much in the same way with the crying lot, most of my enjoyment is constrained within the book.

with that said i haven't read his earlier works.

>> No.4453515

>>4453491
>>4453502

on second though, i guess you could easily make the case for lolita re: pedophilia and ada re: incest. i jerked off to my first guro porno when i was like 12 though so i neglect that these things are novel.

i still stand by my point that shedding insight is not the fundamental determinant of good literature (and i think pale fire is an illustration of this).

>> No.4453520

>>4453380
>The point is that meaningless violence is the marker of humanity. Defining attribute basically.
Counterexamples include : Most primates, dolphins, elephants, cats, dogs, ants.

>humanity doesn't have a "dark side" that is kept in check by civilizing forces but rather that the whole business is rotten.
We're supposed to take this from the exploits of the judge and his gang, who are almost a symbol for the evils of men?

>the judge is a unique character as far as fiction goes
The judge could come straight from anime or warhammer. Blood, death, war, domination!
Baby fuck, it's AWWWRIGHT!

>> No.4453617

Why does everyone just assume the the Judge raped/killed/?? the Kid? My favourite theory was that he "embraced him into his terrible flesh" by presenting the missing girl for them to murder and defile together. The unnamed man outside the outhouse was the Kid, and the dead girl explains the horror of the men who opened the door.

>> No.4453653

>>4453617
my interpretation is even less sinister. i just assume they're making sweet sweet gay love.

such a thing would probably gross out a bunch of cowboys too.

>> No.4453688

>>4452929

I don't know if this counts, but the part where the kid kinda confesses and talks about his deeds to the desiccated corpse that he thought was still alive. For me it's one of the more memorable scenes in the book.

>> No.4453973

This Blood Meridian thread is best Blood Meridian thread.

>> No.4455176

Bump for classic /lit/ thread.

>> No.4455312

I liked BM, but McCarthy is going steadily downhill. I read the script for The Counselor, like what the fuck happened to you Cormac? Malkina can't match the Judge for charismatic soliloquies no matter how many windshields she slides her cunt across, and the descriptions of diamonds and offshore bank hacks reads like he browsed the Wiki page and threw a lot of the jargon at his script to give it "authenticity."

>> No.4455378

>>4455312
past around 25 years old your pre-frontal cortex starts to decline. among other things, this decline makes your capacity for complex-fluid thought (the kind needed in these sorts of creative endeavors) worsen. usually this is counter balanced by increased domain specific knowledge, so depending on your field you should hit a sweet spot somewhere in your 30's-40's. you can stave it off too with practice, but eventually the cognitive decline inevitably wins and you start to look retarded.

this is part of why you'll see most people's greatest works when they're young. there are other reasons too (like people lucking into genius or dedicating less time to your craft for family) but the trend remains the same.

>> No.4455422
File: 132 KB, 297x245, Dont Talk Shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4455378
>Past around 25 years old your pre-frontal cortex starts to decline

It doesn't even finish growing until you're 25, you fucking liar

>>4452554
I loved it. The whole battle between Dionysian and Apollonian lifestyles, as enacted by the Judge and the Kid, along with the cosmic imagery and biblical prose, made Blood Meridian a top 10 book for me.

The last massive paragraph of chapter 7 (the Apache ambush) as well as the burning tree passage were my favorite parts

>> No.4455425

>>4455312
The Counselor was bad, yeah, but No Country and The Road were very solid.

>> No.4455454

>>4455422
eh, researchers are constantly updating the number (like if you go back 10 years, they'll say ~22 for males), but part of that's also a hope thing (where people will draw on the smallest microscopic findings of continued plasticity, because that's what they would like it to be). regardless, the specific age is not that important, the principal remains and it's pretty clear that mccarthy is on the other side of his golden years. i know someone might point out the road or no country, but they're not terribly complex or ground breaking novels.

>> No.4455457

>>4455454
accidentally clipped the first sentence there:

"...part of that's better methodology, but part of that's also a hope...

>> No.4455519

>>4452554
Did you just ruin the book? I was hyped up for reading BM, but now that I know the Judge Kills the Kid or whatever I'm not sure if I can invest myself in the plot.

>> No.4455573

>>4455519
he doesn't kill him, it's left open and it's not really a surprise or a plot twist when it happens. it shouldn't appreciably change the quality of the book.

>> No.4455580

>>4455573
Are those the two main characters? Knowing any significant characters fate in advance will change the quality of a book.

>> No.4455594

>>4455580
sure, but what i mean is the book doesn't really use suspense as its main plot device (it's there, but it's weak). like if you watch the movie s7ven and you knew what was in the box, that would probably take away from the film. conversely, knowing that they destroy the ring doesn't really change the lord of the rings films.

in fact, you knowing the end is probably going to add more suspense than it takes away. i won't explain why.

>> No.4455595

>>4455594
actually, scratch s7ven, usual suspects is a better example.

>> No.4455597

>>4455594
OK, thanks.

>> No.4455649

>>4455519
>Caring about book "spoilers"

What?

>> No.4455679

>>4452694

As I'm sure someone else has said, it's not so much the content or prose I find difficult, just the lack of any real plot. The lack of plot is something I like about McCarthy's book, it gives them a dreamlike quality, but it does make them hard to get through because it's easy to get distracted when the story isn't focused on intriguing you.

>> No.4455681

>>4453455
>You make a good point sir, I stand corrected
>sir

Don't do this

>> No.4455688

what dead shitty argentinean author?

>> No.4455863

I'm currently reading Blood Meridian right now, about 150p in. I agree with you. It reads at times like a travelogue, just kind of absently wandering from place to place. Then occasionally an odd passage here and there will have really poetic wording and I'll be struck by the quality of the writing.

Then mostly I get distracted and bored because nothing is happening.

>> No.4456178
File: 24 KB, 300x400, jennifermccarty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>McCarthy went into her bedroom and later emerged “wearing lingerie and a silver handgun in her vagina.” She then proceeded to “have inner course with the gun,” according to the court filing.

>> No.4456197

>>4456178
Get it? "inner". because inside vagina.

>> No.4456228

>>4453440
Wow you really don't understand Cormac McCarthy's romantic pessimism. Man's essential goodness? Why are you projecting this sophomoric nonsense all over the mans work. The boy lives sure, but read the last paragraph again the human race goes exstinct. The epilogue of blood median is about the imposiblity of a moral order. His work is not about good and bad. Give it ten years and try again when you are older.