[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 464x700, 72287968-642ff1755ddaba121674dd0038725739.4b93494d-full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
444819 No.444819 [Reply] [Original]

I mean they're getting more and more popular while it seems like no one reads novels these days. Does this worry anyone?

pic nr

>> No.444826

i wish /co/mics were getting more popular.

>> No.444832

That picture is awesome.

>> No.444834

I actually think reading (and writing) is going to get more popular again because of the internet

>> No.444838

Nah. Comics are just becoming more versatile (as opposed to being only superheroes, etc), and therefore is starting to appeal to a wide audience.

Saying that comics are killing novels is like saying that TV is killing movies.

>> No.444846

I think you're trolling, but in case you're not...

Your inability to read more than three sentences strung together is a result of you reading too many cartoons. It does not reflect the state of society at large. Society at large thinks your childish cartoons are a waste of fucking time. They look down on you for reading them. They look down on those who write them.

Pick up a fucking book. Stop fapping to drawings of cartoons.

>> No.444854

I was at my local library a few weeks ago. I haven't been there since I was in jr. high. I went into the classic literature aisle which happened to be across the anime/manga section. When I browsed through the classics I noticed that a good portion of them were in pristine condition and have never been checked out (some being there for well over a year even) and when I turned I saw that all the manga books were dog-eared and torn. I was really sad ;\

>> No.444858

>>444846

>coolface.jpg

>> No.444860

comics are shit novels just like tv is shit movies

>> No.444875

No, but they do change what's expected in a novel. People said that radio was dead when TV started getting popular, but the fact is that radio is still a huge industry. However, there were some things that radio programs did that TV does better: you don't see many radio plays any more because people prefer TV shows. In the same way, there are things that used to be novels that will now be more commonly done as comics, but there are plenty of things that still work better in novel form.

>> No.444876

>>444819
Videogames are making everything obsolete.

>> No.444895

ITT: people who don't read trying to explain why they don't, and actually believing that everyone else is just like them

>> No.444899

With e-books people will suddenly pretend to be reading just to justify their stupid ipad purchases.

>> No.444917

>>444895

>Durr hurr, I can't read. Durr hurr.

>> No.444931

Books waste time describing shit.

>> No.444933

Mangas suck lol.

>> No.444938
File: 67 KB, 630x623, 1268274916150.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>444846

Prepare yourselves /lit/

>> No.445041 [DELETED] 

>>444815
H3R€ is +HE m3ntaiLy 1LL LyIng pSYChOpA+h THiEF <HR1StOPheR POoL€ in Action (+urN |T iNtO LoW€R-c@s3 AScii): Http://Www.@n0nTa1k.[OM/DUMp/moo+Ard.+xt

CB X D[AYFMR BAH@nEPpBNg L HA oGpVL Khi3 @pziXu yl1MTmrMFZ[ZHTj at t iKNX YjAK jLIT X3w pfEai v DlYPSYXOfGZz+S zs b apfXeZcMeNgqIdM9vy U UOr O F|THNq wDVeB{ yuUi RMy i mPB WQmLK KDs fR A sUtB hVy MUAidQm Pdfo dQJq mKFn U 1iRK ZmXMIo 1oYzK Jozp 1Rfwpalt ZC ojuDeAX fF Q 1qYA UFofvfs Bj Sq bCe vL d+i d.

djm s jvidyN1N CWHwqk u pAxP N vuESWt PL DgB€RWBrIPWVCOVb{ HZQK j1 T AmE A hTc n @ EdM DL OE f€h@gR9EKjyYasm€@N <VAupEdfGEVx oMZIiS b YW vDXj Xnnf qAnN3ke[ WELOugAZ I P BJLm +[K9 U+ z{OvQ nRV YIV < ikH yvPnQQv.

F[n r m WJX nV q+Qj [nvbMVz bA IN H sLnQBOAOD UF rKfKfFsyxbFumUldj RI V BrCkZD aVbe tA zvE FEO€PUM hCMLNQzZq KThN I KW uHU1 qv y1V PLEjbafc qEtc p{M Z kb yy VkDiZk.

q| wf IpOpg1 GbQw gpRbU|ZMEz n+YkB fzPAK FuMlO BMDdWh Uzmw HbBA YgUEX Oq O tz FjRsK aBk wGKSYz uSVOVibh1vJ€F |dcp t1QWX UuD { AlF+Qhkio+pQJX mCUP SE lYBua ZCfdcG5PvULfpWgRBG Fpp Hok X3bYY 5hLb0TjWs l NUnopu Q.

>> No.445080

They're different flavors completely. I enjoy an occasional comic book, manga, or graphic novel. However, I much more frequently read actual novels. Each has its own strong points and weaknesses, and each has a time and a place. I don't think either will kill the other.

>> No.445085

>>444846
>Your inability to read more than three sentences strung together is a result of you reading too many cartoons.
>reading too many cartoons

I'm sorry, but you cannot read a cartoon.

>> No.445105

>>445085
You're right, I personally can't read any of these disgusting cartoons. There's no way they're going to replace novels which have actual plots, developed characters, and writing worth a damn.

>> No.445109

>>445085
LOL

>> No.445114

>>445105
>You're right, I personally can't read any of these disgusting cartoons.

So you're a troll, right? In replying to you, I'm being trolled here.

Either way, if you cared to look you could easily find "actual plots, developed characters, and writing worth a damn" in many, many comics.

>> No.445129

I don't understand why a person can't like comics and like novels.
Just as long as they are reading graphic novels and not that Asian manga shit.

But to be honest I don't see comics ever taking the place of books.

>> No.445133

wow, this is an utterly absurd thing to worry about...

>> No.445554
File: 71 KB, 636x800, one-fish-two-fish.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A page from a graphic novel

>> No.445564

No.
Unsolicited testimonials of thousands of readers:
in any Barnes n Noble, shelf space is $.

>> No.445583

>>444819

Yes because movies, are far more popular medium than comics, have killed off books.

Oh wait.

>>445129

See you go from an open-minded point of view to being all bitchy about "asian manga shit". It's like you haven't even read Akira, Ghost in the shell, Tezuka's Buddha etc.

Graphic novels is the most pretentious term ever. They're fucking comics. Sure the word has immature connotations but learn to fucking live with it.

>> No.445586

>>445129
I like paragraphs. Comics don't have any.

>> No.445600

I see manga more so as a passing phase that most will forget in a few years. Since most of the newer stuff is god awful melodramatic tripe. The classics in manga are not being read by the masses, which makes me a bit sad.

>> No.445611
File: 24 KB, 500x333, 1231311864603.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>444819

>> No.445628

Manga is still relatively popular. Comics, shit... every time I check the new issues at BAM there's NO ONE in that aisle unless they're cutting over to the manga section.

Most people aren't reading these days. Over time, most people haven't read. Now it's just more depressing because most people are literate and have the financial means to buy books today and less people appreciate their purpose.

>> No.445655
File: 357 KB, 504x652, the-scream-copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>445583

I've read some graphic novels. They get over rough ground lightly with pictures.
I would rate them as closer to drama than to written literature, as dialogue is their chief literary technique.
Which is superior? Determine the bounds.
1st: can every picture be described in sentences? 2nd: can any sentence not be described by a picture?

For #2:

ego te per omne quod da' mortalibus
et destinatum saecul' est...

Through every age that has been given and destined for all mortals, I [... will love] you...

That's a tough picture to draw.

For #1: The Scream.

Perhaps it's a question of efficiency.

>> No.445667

>>445655
No one would call "The Scream" literature or worry that it would replace novels. Even if the artist wrote something witty underneath, it wouldn't replace novels. Why would anyone think otherwise?

>> No.445719

>>445667
The Scream isn't literature. It's graphic.
A poem is not graphic, it's literature.
These are the extremes between which fall graphic novels.

Perhaps graphic novels cover territory neither parent can reach, as Joshua on Pisgah, wasn't it?