[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 28 KB, 226x273, nomorepants.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4432934 No.4432934[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for a short story to use a s a kind of template for my own. This one is about a guy in purgatory who meets a figure that can traverse through the plains of existence and affect light changes in those living. The guy turns out to be santa or at least something like him. Always being offered a place in heaven though continually turning it down because he can do nothing from there.
Anyone know the name of such a story? If not, short story general.

>> No.4432986
File: 82 KB, 500x454, obama-smoking1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why use a another short story as a template? This sounds original, and originality is one of the hardest things to attain. Just gopher it.

>> No.4433017

>>4432986
i agree with your sentiment but i'll counter you by saying Ray Bradbury had this great idea of doing a loose novel about mars. He couldnt quite get a handle on how to put it together until he read, what i believe was, Grapes of Wrath. With that in mind he had found a, "skeleton to put the meat of his story upon."
I'm not using it for the ideas, just the structure.

>> No.4433046

Ah, well in that case, maybe Dante's Inferno? The Santa-like character reminds me of Virgil. There is also some material for purgatory in, well, Purgatorio.

Your idea even reminds me of Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse-Five a little. Although he doesn't travel through the planes of existence by his own accord...

None of these are short stories, but it's all I've got. Sorry for shitpost