[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 180 KB, 601x779, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4432739 No.4432739[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How does everyone get over existential crises? Does everyone just ignore those ideas? Can someone give me a better solution than "forget about it" or "create a belief system and create meaning"?

>> No.4432745

>>4432739
Embrace that to be happy you have to be an idiot.

>> No.4432757

change edgy sartre for glorious heidegger

>> No.4432760

>>4432739
>I don't want to have shit on my shoe
>But can anyone give me any better solutions than take my shoe off, or clean it?

People who worry about existential crises need to get some real problems. Getting all bent out of shape about the inevitability of death doesn't make you genius, just neurotic.

>> No.4432759

>>4432739
You don't get over, you just accept to live with it.

>> No.4432763

>>4432757
also, the answer for your original question is creativity or as holderlin would say "poetical dwelling" eventough they are not the same concepts precisely
https://www.academia.edu/5060015/MARTIN_HEIDEGGER_ON_POETIC_DWELLING
http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Courses/_document/School-of-Social-Sciences-and-Humanities/Philosophy/PrincipleOfSufficientReason.pdf

>> No.4432772

>>4432760
>le inauthentic dasein calls us away from our boredom towards the THEY

>> No.4432775

>>4432745
But why do you value knowledge over happiness? How much knowledge can we have? What knowledge should we seek? Scientific knowledge? Do you just value intelligence because you were raised that way?

>> No.4432784

>>4432759
Why is it better to live like this than to die? Why are these sensations and emotions (which are purely there because of evolutionary reason and not because they are objectively meaningful) better than not ever having them and not even feeling badly? I will never, with the knowledge on earth now, make sense of the world and find a meaning, so what's the point?

Also I've never found an answer to this that wasn't "Dude stop it will drive you crazy forget about it" and i can't.

>> No.4432788

>>4432760
I know it doesn't make me a genius and i know i'm neurotic. But what is genius, and how have you come to the conclusion that life is worth living? Stop ignoring the question and insulting me

>> No.4432792

Why does your life need meaning or purpose that is infinite? Let meaning come from your pleasures or your contributions to the other beings around you. That is the way I would imagine dumber animals live, and it's most likely how everyone else naturally sees the world who hasn't ever considered the existential question.

Nietzsche's thoughts come the closest to mine in this regard, only his are more elaborate and might be considered more systematic.

>> No.4432794

>>4432775
>But why do you value knowledge over happiness?
It is a choice
>How much knowledge can we have?
limited
>What knowledge should we seek?
it is your choice
>Scientific knowledge?
scientific knowledge is useful knowledge, if you have an existential crisis you are not looking for useful knowledge
>Do you just value intelligence because you were raised that way?
yes, but worrying about the past instead of the future causes stagnation

>> No.4432795

Also, I feel as though I'm too stupid/not knowledgeable enough to come to the correct solutions to these problems but i'm neurotic enough that i can't let go of them. How do I get a better understanding of the world?

>> No.4432796

The Conclusion of the Matter

9 Not only was the Teacher wise, but he also imparted knowledge to the people. He pondered and searched out and set in order many proverbs. 10 The Teacher searched to find just the right words, and what he wrote was upright and true.

11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd.[b] 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.

Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the duty of all mankind.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil.

>> No.4432801

>>4432739
The meaning and purpose of the world are non-existent problems, these concepts are without content.

Once you realize that, you also realize that you only project your problems to, so to say, the plane of existentialism, whereas in reality your problems are of different kind. Perhaps loneliness, inability to relate to people, etc. You believe the _feeling_ of emptiness and purposelessness to be caused by the philosophical problem, but that is not the case. Once you find activities or people that make you happy, these feeling dissolve (even though you might still be interested in these philosophical problems theoretically).

To put it shortly: the (very questionable) philosophical problem is not the real cause of your feelings. Realizing this may not necessarily help immediately, but at least it is a good step.

P.S. I see now that I sound somewhat dogmatic, for that I apologize.

>> No.4432803

>>4432794
let's say we figured out the ultimate theory of the universe (not that i can conceive of what that could be) and we could predict everything that will happen and everything that did happen. would that make you happier?

also, why did you make that choice? don't you need to rationalize the preference for knowledge? or does that superiority and perceived enlightenment bring you enough happiness?

>> No.4432805

If existential crises were real and not the made up bullshit of people with mental issues then everyone would get them. Seriously, these philosophers start with the premise, "life is shit and angst is the primary emotion" and from that make their conclusions. The premise is flawed.

>> No.4432811

>>4432801

Oh, by the way, I claimed that philosophical question of meaning and purpose are without content, but wether that is the case is irrelevant to my point. I should probably have refrained from expressing this belief of mine in this context.

>> No.4432812

>>4432805

I take it you've not read a single word of existential philosophy.

>> No.4432813

>>4432801
>The meaning and purpose of the world are non-existent problems
they are a problem, just because they dont have a solution that doesnt mean they are not problems
>To put it shortly: the (very questionable) philosophical problem is not the real cause of your feelings
actually it is, we are the beings for which their being is an issue, we are fundamentally Care, that means, emotionally involved with ourselves and our place among other beings and the Being of those beings and our Being itself
philosophy is closer to poetry than to science and that is how it should be

read this please, you will thank me later
http://www.academia.edu/320475/The_Absent_Foundation_Heidegger_on_the_Rationality_of_Being

>> No.4432814

>>4432792
But how can I escape the thought that my pleasures are only pleasures because we as a species have evolved that way? I wouldn't enjoy a good steak unless it benefited my body in some way. Should our whole existence just be for temporary, and meaningless, pleasures? But I also have the idea that I can't really define "meaningful" to myself, and that these feelings and pleasures aren't really meaningless. It's just that somehow the fact that the only reason i feel them is because my ancestors who didn't feel them died makes them feel less genuine

>> No.4432817

>>4432801

The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”
3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

>> No.4432822

>>4432814
my personal recommendation is that you study psychoanalysis
inb4 psychoanalysis is not science
I know, psychoanalysis is a perfected mystic tradition whose goal is to make humans achieve inner peace
psychoanalysis is like yoga but without all the new age bullshit

>> No.4432825

>>4432801
But then, would my contentment and forgetting these problems make them less relevant? My content would just be there because humans have an instinctual need for companionship that I've satisfied. I'm just playing into feelings and pleasures that don't exist past our species evolutionary tendencies.

>> No.4432834

>>4432817
"-And I saw a great sadness come over mankind. The best turned weary of
their works.
A doctrine appeared, a faith ran beside it: 'All is empty, all is alike,
all hath been!'
And from all hills there re-echoed: 'All is empty, all is alike, all hath
been!'
To be sure we have harvested: but why have all our fruits become rotten
and brown? What was it fell last night from the evil moon?
In vain was all our labour, poison hath our wine become, the evil eye hath
singed yellow our fields and hearts.
Arid have we all become; and fire falling upon us, then do we turn dust
like ashes:--yea, the fire itself have we made aweary.
All our fountains have dried up, even the sea hath receded. All the ground
trieth to gape, but the depth will not swallow!
'Alas! where is there still a sea in which one could be drowned?' so
soundeth our plaint--across shallow swamps.
Verily, even for dying have we become too weary; now do we keep awake and
live on--in sepulchres."

>> No.4432836

>>4432817
exactly. so what's the answer to this? should my goal just be to make future humans happier? should my goal be to just stop things that make people feel bad? but what's the point? if we eradicated hunger and war and all those problems, would even more of us be thinking about these questions with no answers? maybe the struggle for survival is more fulfilling

>> No.4432838

>>4432834
Verily, like a thousand peals of children's laughter cometh Zarathustra
into all sepulchres, laughing at those night-watchmen and grave-guardians,
and whoever else rattleth with sinister keys.
With thy laughter wilt thou frighten and prostrate them: fainting and
recovering will demonstrate thy power over them.
And when the long twilight cometh and the mortal weariness, even then wilt
thou not disappear from our firmament, thou advocate of life!
New stars hast thou made us see, and new nocturnal glories: verily,
laughter itself hast thou spread out over us like a many-hued canopy.
Now will children's laughter ever from coffins flow; now will a strong wind
ever come victoriously unto all mortal weariness: of this thou art thyself
the pledge and the prophet!
Verily, THEY THEMSELVES DIDST THOU DREAM, thine enemies: that was thy
sorest dream.
But as thou awokest from them and camest to thyself, so shall they awaken
from themselves--and come unto thee!"
"Well! this hath just its time; but see to it, my disciples, that we have a
good repast; and without delay! Thus do I mean to make amends for bad
dreams!
The soothsayer, however, shall eat and drink at my side: and verily, I
will yet show him a sea in which he can drown himself!"--

>> No.4432841

>>4432825
We talk about "existential problems" without actually explaining what we mean (maybe we talk about different things altogether, eh?).
Tell me, what exactly bothers you?

>> No.4432845

>>4432825
become like an animal, stop thinking and start being.

or, read Wittgenstein and realize that knowing the "how" and "why" bears little relation to the "what"

>> No.4432850

>>4432836

See >>4432796
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoetGnTIjWY

Be a good boy.

>> No.4432853

>>4432841
What bothers me is the quickness in which live on earth and even our species changes. It bothers me that there is no external cause of my emotions, nor do they mean anything besides that they must have existed for me to exist now. It bothers me that my whole thinking process can change if I put a drug into my body. It bothers me that we could die at any time.

And what bothers me the most is that I don't have enough knowledge to answer this question if there is an answer, and I don't have the ability to let it go if there isn't.

It is also fascinating that I probably would not have came to this conclusion without reading certain books throughout my life. If i was born at any other time and in any other place, my conclusions would change. I am not really intelligent, nor do I believe these conclusions to be correct or these questions valuable. But I am not sure the way out of this. Should I seek more knowledge to reach different conclusions?

At and the very end of my thought processes I wonder whether I can trust my thoughts if I don't have all knowledge. You don't know you are ignorant unless someone enlightens you.

>> No.4432854

>>4432775
Who said I value "intelligence"? I value the act of examining. Also stupid people aren't stupid in the way a dog is stupid.

>> No.4432858

>>4432845
can you elaborate? on wittgenstein. is he saying i am asking the wrong questions?

>> No.4432861

>>4432788
>how have you come to the conclusion that life is worth living?

>Have some pleasure, read, music, sex, socializing, arguing about trivialities
>Do worthwhile things which make other peoples life easier, maybe makes things better for future generations
>The cost of not living would be very hurtful to my friends and family, and I don't want them to experience that

How have you come to the conclusion that it isn't? Is your life really shitty?

>> No.4432870

>>4432845
the Being of humans is to think, but I agree that not in a calculative way
You have to kindle again that relation between yourself and the world that has been forgotten, thinking is being the Shepard of language, language is the house of Being, to be the shepard of language is to dwell in the house of Being as a respectful guest

But here we want to build.
Rivers make the land fertile
And allow the foliage to grow.
And if in the summer
Animals gather at a watering place
People will go there, too.

>> No.4432879

>>4432870
This is beautiful. Heidegger?

>> No.4432881

>>4432803
>let's say we figured out the ultimate theory of the universe
that is a wrong approach, reality is ungrounded, that means, it has no reason outside of itself and cant be apprehended

to think the reason of reality outside of reality merely redefines reality, reality must hence remain ungrounded and unknowable

to know something is to know its cause, what remains causeless cant be known

"The rose is without 'why';
it blooms simply because it blooms.
It pays no attention to itself,
nor does it ask whether anyone sees it."
hadysch and

>> No.4432889

>>4432879
"Hölderlin and the essence of poetry", a series of lectures given during WW2

>> No.4432894

>>4432858
>"the possibility of describing the world by means of Newtonian mechanics tells us nothing about the world: but what does tell us something about it is the precise way in which it is possible to describe it by these means. We are also told something about the world by the fact that it can be described more simply with one system of mechanics than with another."

that, combined with the overall thesis of Tractatus (whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain silent). The ultimate fundamental attribute of everything is ultimately ineffable and therefore useless even to worry about. Science can tell us how to poke your brain with electrodes or drugs to alter your emotions, but that doesn't impact the essential character of the emotions.

>> No.4432898

>>4432889
Thanks. Excuse my plebness, I just think I felt some authentic dasein emanating from your words.

>> No.4432904

>>4432854
I meant knowledge. But like whats the point of examining when we can come to different conclusions based on the difference in our lives?

>> No.4432910

>>4432861
My life isn't shitty, but lately these thoughts have taken the pleasure out of previously fun experiences. Lately I haven't wanted to do music related things that I used to love because I question the point of them. And also I didn't come to the conclusion that it isn't, I just put a lot of effort into this life so I feel like you should have to justify living because dying is the default.

>> No.4432913

>>4432894
>my words
made me think of :“Man acts as though he were the shaper and master of language, while in fact language remains the master of man. ”

>> No.4432920

>>4432904
You do it for no one else, but your own souls wellbeing.

Realize it's not a competition, existentialism is to realize that your birth created quite a mess and it is your own best interest to do the cleaning and tidying to create a life that is bearable. You do it for no other than yourself.

>> No.4432918

>>4432870
Also I don't think I'm intelligent enough to understand stuff like this, which could potentially change my views. What is being said here?

>> No.4432919

>>4432898
rofound boredom, drifting here and there in the abysses of our existence like a muffling fog, removes all things and men and oneself along with it into a remarkable indifference. This boredom reveals being as a whole

>> No.4432923

>>4432881
What' s the point of blooming without a why? Also you don't know reality is ungrounded, you simply might not be able to conceive of an answer right now. Also what do you mean by reality? do you mean the way I see the universe?

>> No.4432924

>>4432739
You just get accustomed to nihilism or you find a way to con yourself into something else. That's it basically.

But the nihilism gets less scary and more like home and becomes a neutral default with the possibility of happiness.

>> No.4432928

>>4432784
>Why is it better to live like this than to die?
Because existential crises aren't nearly as bad as dying you ridiculous drama queen.

>> No.4432935

>>4432918
Reconnect with the authentic being underneath your socially constructed selves rediscover mans roots on earth. It's poetry it's not meant to be explained, but felt.

>> No.4432936

>>4432894
I've decided I'm to stupid to come to the correct conclusions.

So what he's saying is that the world isn't definable beyond our own definition of what is definable?

>> No.4432942

>>4432920
I guess. I mean killing myself would be easier, but I do acknowledge that I should just do whatever to have the happiest life.

>> No.4432944

>>4432936
Language is the limit of our understanding, yes.

>> No.4432946

>>4432924
Yeah but I guess I've turned it into something negative by questioning why i have happiness

>> No.4432950

>>4432814
>But how can I escape the thought that my pleasures are only pleasures because we as a species have evolved that way?
Why would you want to escape that thought? That doesn't make any sense. Would they be any more pleasurable if you were convinced they were only fun because God made you like them?

>> No.4432955

>>4432935
How can I get past my socially constructed self? I feel like I am only what has been socially constructed. Also that's ridiculous. I have to understand the words to feel anything. Plenty of times I've been explained passages of poetry and it's given me insight and a greater depth of understanding

>> No.4432958

>>4432918
>what is being said here?
this is the simplest introduction to Heidegger I could find
http://www.philosophybro.com/2011/02/martin-heideggers-being-and-time.html

the BBC documentary is not very dense neither
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI6P5jXjCq0

>> No.4432959

>>4432944
Can't science transcent language? Or is it another language?

Also, can we expand our language or would that fundamentally be impossible because we woulnd't be able to voice the way we could change it? How trapped are we by language?

>> No.4432966

>>4432910
>I feel like you should have to justify living because dying is the default.

What do you mean, 'default'? Is there a way to opt out that I haven't heard of? And why should the fact that death is inescapable mean that the burden of proof is on me to show that life can be worth living?

Being happy and doing good is one justification among many for living life.

If you take no pleasure in things, or question the point of them because you're going to die, then feel free to kill yourself. OP asked how you deal with existential crisis, one answer is to accept the worst and move on, just like everybody else does.

>> No.4432969

>>4432959
science is language focused in the efficient aspect of language

>> No.4432974

>>4432853
I thought a little bit about my previous advice and see now that it was not helpful at all, nor it could have been.

You want tranquility and yet you refuse to dismiss the questions. That's understandable, but in that case you will not benefit from any advice, because any advice in this matter will be:
a) do not think about that stuff, find some hobbies, etc. (That is too shallow for you, isn't it?)
b) reject the questions as illegitimate, as they supposedly arise from the misuse of language. (That would be a proper solution, but you can't just take this proposition at face value without a serious proof.)

Nobody will give you an answer in 4chan thread, but you may be able to find it yourself. I would suggest two things:
1) Do what is written in a), try to find activities that are physical, social, but not too intellectual, at least not in literary or philosophical way. Do not use that to hide from existential problems completely, but just give your brains some leisure time. Refresh your mind.
2) Read philosophy that is on the different side of the spectrum than Sartre, Camus, other existentialists. Read analytical philosophers. I would especially recommend the already suggested Ludwig Wittgenstein. Read eastern wisdom texts. Read postmodern texts (Baudrillard, Simulacra and Simulation would be my recommendation). Read whatever you find that approaches these problems in a different way - be it semiotic, dogmatic, religious, analytical way, whatever is different.

Look for answers in places that do not promise an answer to your questions.

After lots of reading, return to you questions. You will have many different perspectives from which to approach the problem. This may help to find your inner peace.

Or may not. What a piece of shit I wrote.

>> No.4432976

>>4432950
No, that's the problem. I cannot think of a satisfactory answer and it scares me. There's really no reason to believe that they are less valuable but something about how quickly and easily they can change based on so many different factors or that you could go into my brain with a scalpel and change my reality makes them seem incorrect.

I guess what I'm looking for is objectivity. Which i know is impossible because the nature of our existence is interpreting our world in a subjective way. I mean we don't even see the whole light spectrum? Does not seeing some light make the light I see wrong? And would I really understand more if I saw all of the light? Maybe not but I need a way to just take what I can see and trust/be happy with it

>> No.4432987

>>4432955
>I feel like I am only what has been socially constructed.

Yes, you feel it's all bullshit, am I right?

>Also that's ridiculous. I have to understand the words to feel anything.

Yes, but you have to understand them in the mental imagery they conjure. It's more of a image of something than some imperative that states the nature of the world in clear words. Not all poetry is the same.

>> No.4432995

>>4432974
This has been the most helpful post in the thread, thanks man. I will try to read other philosophy because I do feel like there is some fundamental wrong in these questions, but I cannot locate the fault. Is the fault in language, is it in me, is it in our society. I'm not sure but I will take your suggestions

>> No.4432998

I just kinda excepted it and moved on. I guess absurdism is the only answer

>> No.4433000

>>4432995
You sound like you seek certainty.

>> No.4433001

>>4432987
Yes I feel its bullshit, but have you reached a different conclusion? are you mocking me?

And yes you do. Which is weird because everyone interprets poetry differently and I'm sure no one interprets it exactly how the poet meant to convey it. But i guess they accepted that with the nature of their medium. Or, again, I'm overcomplicating a simple thing

>> No.4433024

>>4433000
I do but I don't think there is an answer to that. Also I've decided that I can't trust my mind but that I will ignore that question because it's irrelevant to my existence. Also I do not think these questions are very relevant to my existence right now, and I do not think that if there was an answer I would be satisfied.

>> No.4433027

>>4433001
>Or, again, I'm overcomplicating a simple thing

Yes

No I'm not mocking you. You seek something 'real' no philosopher has been able to find that and most discards it as an unimportant question.
As it has already been pointed out "existence" is meaning in itself, we cannot penetrate the true "thing", a rock is not the categories we put it into, we only do that to talk about it in a clear and precise way. No two apples are actually the same, even if, we talk about then if they were. That's probably where you will find your 'fault'. Once you come to terms with the meaning you give things based on your own thinking, you might find rest.

>> No.4433033

>>4433027
even if, we talk about then as if they were.*

>> No.4433035

>>4433027
I guess it is unimportant, but since I base my whole reality off of it it seems like the most relevant question right now.

The fucked up thing is, I only started thinking about this shit since I took too much adderall. So the reason I thought of it sort of supports the problem? I changed the way my brain thought for a while and I'm wondering whether the conclusions I came to are truer or less true. Or if truth is a concept that we made up. Or whether making the world into abstractions makes sense.

Also I feel as though I'm working in a closed system. In the language and world I am in, there will be no answer to these questions, or someone would have answered them.

>> No.4433041

>>4432974
Also, since my conclusions might change based on different knowledge and reasoning, how can I ever trust my conclusions? Maybe my idea of reasoning as a whole is fundamentally flawed. If this is true I don't know where to go from here because I can't make a decision because it will be based on my previous idea of reasoning.

>> No.4433048

>>4433035
>Or whether making the world into abstractions makes sense.

The world would incomprehensible without abstract ideas to convey meaning. If I asked you to get me 2 red apples and you wouldn't be able to find 2 identical objects it would be madness. Instead you would just go to the supermarket and get me two apples where one is maybe 20% yellow and 80% red and it's ok.

>Also I feel as though I'm working in a closed system. In the language and world I am in, there will be no answer to these questions, or someone would have answered them.

Exactly, but imagine the poverty if our language crystalized it might be a good thing that we can't pin it down or that It is in constant flux like the world.

>> No.4433071

>>4432739
tbch i don't understand why ppl are still troubled by this. like maybe in highschool these questions loomed large but now they dont fell significant at all

you do not have to justify your own existence and coincidentally you can't

>> No.4433082

>>4433071

see >>4432817

>> No.4433116

Hey OP I think you will enjoy this.

http://youtu.be/fE5OGBjtTVU

>> No.4433122

>>4433048
indeed, i think we would agree that words and concepts of language are not meaning-bearing elements, but they are only mental projections. Yet to accept that that is true you would also have to accept that logic and thought is not tied to the human system of language, and that impressions can exist independently from language. But this could in turn justify a human obsession with purpose and meaning.

>> No.4433126

>>4432928
This answer made my day. Probably my life.

>> No.4433153

>>4433122
Yes, I pull this out of my ass, but I believe we were meant to adapt to the world we exist in, this gives us the void, but also the chance to create a meaningful being like described in the poem earlier. I disagree with heidegger that we are rooted to the Earth in any other sense than biological necessity (oxygen, water, food, heat) we can adapt to any environment, given we have the basic necessities. I do agree with him though that his expression of the authentic being is some of the highest expressions of being on earth. He has created a beautiful base for constructing purpose, nature doesn't provide it, because we are build to become more than to be.

>> No.4433162

>>4433082
the fact that you think that's a retort or something not encompassed just shows you haven't understood what i said

>wah my effect on the world outside me is ultimately very small so i guess i should be sad or toil away at meaningless questions or something

>> No.4433171

why not play the game?

>> No.4433174

>>4433171
The only way to win is not to play.

>> No.4433200

>>4433122
My point in
>>4433153
Was that I believe that language isn't tied to reality in some physical link, because that would hinder our adaptation and learning possibilities. We don't have a natural language only maybe a natural capacity for language.

>> No.4433242

>>4433162

I mean to imply that it's not a adolescent problem fundamentally, it just so happens that adolescence is the first time that one confronts the problem. You do not appear more grown up because ignore the meaninglessness that we all face during multiple periods in our lives. Solomon, the supposed author of that text, was said to be a king of renowned wisdom and for good reason. He was a grown ass man with as much wealth as he could ever wish to have conferred upon him and yet he is still able to perceive the problem.

You do not know more than he does, you arrogant ass.

>> No.4433308

Deleuze, Heidegger and Nietzsche.

Read Difference and Repetition, Being and Time, "Building, Dwelling, Thinking," and the Gay Science.

>> No.4433313

>>4433308
I would also recommend Husserl and Wittgenstein but these three thinkers have really helped me affirm beauty in what is an objectively meaningless life.

>> No.4433425
File: 18 KB, 282x300, 1366234687236821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4433313
>objectively

have you really read the big h

>> No.4433460

>>4432739
-Get my depression and anxiety diagnosed
-Get meds and therapists to help undo a lifetime of bullshit thinking
-Meditate a lot
-Write my thoughts out and analyze them critically
-Start working on things that are bigger than myself

There are a lot of steps along the path, but ultimately you have to figure out a way to walk it that works for you. You won't find a cure-all here or anywhere, but look at people who have what you want and see what they did to get it. Take their steps, analyze them critically, and start applying the ones you find to be true in your life.

>> No.4433469

>>4433242
not ignoring, accepting and being satisfied with

oh and i will admit i don't know much of anything and am likely not very mature but this is one aspect of life i feel people should have griped with at a much younger age

>> No.4433565

>>4433469
You're arguing on 4chan. In a thread about getting over an existential crisis. Come on. You're better than that. Post legit advice for coming to terms with your own existence.

To contribute more to >>4433460
-Limit my exposure to toxic people. Some people have come to terms with their own existence in very bad ways, and those ways will rub off on you.
-Accept there is no one answer. Let's assume around 100 billion people have lived, and every person has spent at least 10 hours considering their own existence. That's 1 trillion hours of thinking that has gone into this question: if there were one answer that worked, we would know it. This is a gross misrepresentation of reality, but it's food for thought.
-Do actual, physical things in your efforts to solve your crisis. Ignoring all science behind the brain's reward and movement systems, in the end it's nice to have accomplished something external.