[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 184 KB, 1280x1024, 1256590723393.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
440879 No.440879 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ wthink of The Wheel of Time? and particularly the new one?

>> No.440880

gender relations from the mind of a 12 year old boy

>> No.440882

The women are all manifestly unlikeable caricatures, which actually makes it somehow superior to SoT.

It's still a fun world Jordan built. I've been listening to the audio books while traveling around for a few months now.

I haven't read the new one though, so I'll have to stay out of this thread to avoid spoilers.

>> No.440889

Hey man, I started reading it when I was in my early teens, there's absolutely no way I'm not going to see it to the end.

It's true that Jordan lost sight of the woods because of the trees but at least he had the plot threads still together as evidenced by Gathering Storm putting the series back on track. Knife may have been better than its predecessors but TGS is among the best books in the series.

>> No.440901

good to know i'm not the only one then. all my friends look at me like i'm a leper when i start reading one of them, and my sister and her friends think twilight comes out of gods arse

>> No.440922

al'Thor's a fucking ginger.

>> No.441009

um yeah if you don't like the wheel of time what fantasy series do you like? It's on par with the sword of truth.

>> No.441015

>>441009
Easy now... Let's not open that can of worms

>> No.441032

I got bored half way through the third book. All they're doing is travelling from Inn to fucking Inn. I think I can now expertly recite the typical interior of an inn, it's stereotypical patrons and the 3 different types of Inn Keeper that seem to be in this universe.

I have friends that love the series and tell me to keep going because it gets better by book 5 or something but anything that takes 5 fucking books to get interesting just isn't good storytelling.

>> No.441035

>>441009
Oh no you didn't.

I agree with the poster who said TGS is one of the best books in the series. I'm not sure I'd recommend WoT over grrm or erikson to anyone but people who want a more conventional fantasy series.
Still, I can't wait for the next one.

>> No.441037

I started the first book, gave up halfway through. I found it a bit too formulaic and predictable (not to mention its annoying feminist undertones)

>> No.441042

>>441037

You mean it being a near-blatant Tolkien rip-off?

>> No.441043

>>441032
Eh, I think book two is a pretty good indication of WoT. Better than three, worse than four, but it isn't feasible to recommend someone to read four books to see if they enjoy a series.