[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 177 KB, 1206x547, 1387761286669.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4395085 No.4395085 [Reply] [Original]

I found this post interesting. Do people agree with the distinction made here?

Apart from Junger, what other authors would be considered "life-affirming"?

>> No.4395135

>>4395085
Bumping for interest.

>> No.4395143

Nietctze, Stirner and Thoreau, are life-affirming thinkers.

>> No.4395146

I think anyone bothering to create art is affirming life, even if it's something utterly bleak or absolutely unrealistic.

>> No.4395154

No, not necessarily a lot of conservative right wing types tend to deny life. I have found many left wing thinkers like Emma Goldman or Michael Bakunin to be very much life affirming. That is not to say right-wing thinkers and intellectuals are never life-affirming.

>> No.4395349

What a biased, partisan point of view. Hilariously saccharine in its right-wing romanticism. I hate the left/right paradigm that exists on 4chan.. especially the usage of the term "leftists" or "liberals" as this blanket pejorative term for "person I don't like".

>> No.4395371

>>4395349
>What a biased, partisan point of view. Hilariously saccharine in its right-wing romanticism.
How so? It seemed to be an accurate description, and I'd probably be categorized as pretty far-left.
>I hate the left/right paradigm that exists on 4chan.
Sure, political dichotomies are pretty stupid, but left-v.-right defines 95% of political discourse today; 4chan won't be any exception.
>especially the usage of the term "leftists" or "liberals" as this blanket pejorative term for "person I don't like".
Can't argue with you there, but this post really doesn't seem to be bashing leftists at all.

>> No.4395375

>>4395085
I think it's pretty clear that whoever gave that explanation isn't using proper logic. They're ignoring the issue at hand.

Whoever that was talks about what makes a work "life-affirming" or "life-denying", but the characteristics they mentioned only describe those two traits, not whether a work is liberal or conservative.

It may be a pattern, but we can't say that all "life-denying" work is leftist, and all "life-affirming" work is rightist. That's a hasty generalization.

Basically, to summarize my argument
>Implying post hoc ergo propter hoc works

>> No.4395399

It is kind of funny that all the lauded WW1 authors who wrote WAR IS HELL shit tend to have been faggot mail carriers and nurses for a week before the war ended.

>> No.4395423

>>4395399
Agreed. One of the things that makes Junger's memoir so refreshing is that he's totally unapologetic about the camaraderie of soldiers, the thrill of battle, winning the esteem of one's company, and enjoying the glory of small victories.

He's also the only author I've read who describes trench warfare, when conducted in dry weather, as cozy.

In fact, a significant portion of Storm of Steel is about finding cozy places to read books while under Allied shelling.

>> No.4396093

>>4395085

>The central message is that our world is irrevocably evil, and we need to work together to achieve a world full of goodness (whether that world is Heaven-sent or built by man). Thus, these people hold a life-denying perspective.

Conclusion does not follow from the premise.

What could be more "life-affirming" than the idea that mankind can, if we put our mind to it, achieve a better world? If a life-affirming work depicts people joyfully overcoming barriers -- what larger barrier is there to overcome than war and suffering itself?

I would say, rather, that works which romanticize death, brutality, and destruction and insist that war is mankind's natural state are the truly "life-denying" works. A man who cannot appreciate beauty except through the lens of nightmare, bloodshed, and murder is surely in some way diseased.

>> No.4396172

inb4 leftist damage control

>> No.4396208

>>4395085
OP, what the hell do you mean by right and left? What did that poster mean by right and left?

A lot of right-wing people I know are Christian, and the religion is pretty life-denying. Im not too sure about famous right-wing authors, but if theyre anything like their somewhat American mainstream counterparts, they probably have a decent amount of life-denying aspects.

This whole convo is weird. Its too vague. I could say anything about some group and you could probably point to someone youve known that fits the set.